How do you get this blade hub off?

One is the blade hub, the other flat round piece is the crankshaft protector. The hub has already been torn up from a puller

20240324_174427.jpg

The blade adapter is either splined or keyed. It should pull off. It looks like whoever tried to remove it before used the wrong type of puller and did nothing except bend the adapter against itself.

Put a threaded bolt back into the adapter 3 or 4 threads and then carefully use a 2 jaw to break it off. Heat will help.

The blade adapter is either splined or keyed. It should pull off. It looks like whoever tried to remove it before used the wrong type of puller and did nothing except bend the adapter against itself.

Put a threaded bolt back into the adapter 3 or 4 threads and then carefully use a 2 jaw to break it off. Heat will help.
I already tried that. Like I said, the puller just bent it up.

Like said, it's either keyed or splined. I would try splitting it with a grinder / cutoff wheel at this point.

An air impact hammer will make quick work of getting it off.
We ran across this type of problem at my shop almost daily and we didn't have time to screw around getting these types of things apart.

An air impact hammer will make quick work of getting it off.
We ran across this type of problem at my shop almost daily and we didn't have time to screw around getting these types of things apart.
Yeah, there isn't really a good way to get in behind it though. That stupid crank guard is in the way.

Yeah, there isn't really a good way to get in behind it though. That stupid crank guard is in the way.
You don't need to get behind it. Use a bit like you see below and hook the blade adapter as best as you can from the side. I have removed hundreds of them, it will come off, trust me.

1711399218209.jpg

air impact is the best way then use never seize
Now considering that crankshaft protector is in the way the best angle im going to be able to do is probably 30 degrees. Is that okay. I'll give it a try for only the simple fact that I have an air hammer/chisel. After that it's going to the shop.

Now considering that crankshaft protector is in the way the best angle im going to be able to do is probably 30 degrees. Is that okay. I'll give it a try for only the simple fact that I have an air hammer/chisel. After that it's going to the shop.
Yes, it will work. I have done it hundreds of times. You will need to secure the pulley from the top to keep the shaft from turning while you re doing this.

Last edited:
Back