My Toro Timemaster just stops in the middle of mowing

B&S said fuel tank vents through air intake housing or cap. Even if cap does not look like it vents.
My money is still on the cap. The vent holes are so small, I doubt you could tell if it was working by just trying to blow through it. Most of them have many passages through the cap inside to limit fuel vapors from escaping.

For at least 30 years many B&S engine's gas tanks have vented through their gas cap threads. So, you found a gas cap that fits tighter, I'm pretty sure that this is your problem.

If it's a vapor recovery system (what used to be the California "CARB compliant" model, though increasingly it is required nationwide) the cap is sealed and there is a hose from the tank to the air intake. Briggs does a lot of variant builds with slightly different parts on the same base model number engine. That's why its important to use the whole model number or the QR code to get the right parts.

For at least 30 years many B&S engine's gas tanks have vented through their gas cap threads. So, you found a gas cap that fits tighter, I'm pretty sure that this is your problem.
Maybe but my old gas cap (it came on the mower when I bought it used) would unscrew itself while mowing and half fall off, kept only by the tether. So I assume I need a gas gas the fits tighter.

Maybe but my old gas cap (it came on the mower when I bought it used) would unscrew itself while mowing and half fall off, kept only by the tether. So I assume I need a gas gas the fits tighter.
The mower shouldn't be vibrating so much that the gas cap loosens, unscrews itself, and comes off. Something is out of balance or worn. If this was a common occurrence on these there would have been a recall, the manufacturers didn't screw around with the government on fuel tank/system related issues.
If you want to continue to use the cap that you have on it now you will have to vent the tank somehow. There is a way to rig this without too much difficulty. Find a rubber duckbill fuel tank vent, many chainsaws and some trimmers use these. Drill a small hole in the top of the tank and push the duckbill vent in.

Last edited:
Back