how do you charge a 24v system?

yeah but not immediately restart like mine does. every single battery disconnected shows 5.7 volts, it was 6.2 about a month ago, but I used a good bit since. Those charger wires are totally rusted, explains why the charger was getting super hot, probably overheating and shut off only to repeat the cycle. similiar to my truck batteries. one cable was loose and it was putting out 18v on one side to get the other side up. Now with that being said, I never did bother to put a multi meter on these scissor lift batteries to see what the onboard charger was doing. They were boiling for sure though, you could hear and smell it. Although that is supposed to be somewhat normal i've heard.
If the terminals are poor conductors, Less power flows through them. If that’s the case, the charger doesn’t work as hard, and won’t get as hot. Instead, you’ll feel heat where the blockage (resistance) is, which would be at the poor connector. (Watch out, this can be blister territory). could it be possible that the charger was thermaling appropriately because it was dumping max output into the pack?

5.7 + 5.7 + 5.7 + 6.2 = (3 really unhappy batteries) = 23.3 volts, which is very low. The charger is probably 30-32v capable under no load to be able to dump all that juice in (of course when connected it won’t show as 30+). If it follows the same set points as others, it will probably turn off around 28 and come back on around 26 or so.

If the terminals are poor conductors, Less power flows through them. If that’s the case, the charger doesn’t work as hard, and won’t get as hot. Instead, you’ll feel heat where the blockage (resistance) is, which would be at the poor connector. (Watch out, this can be blister territory). could it be possible that the charger was thermaling appropriately because it was dumping max output into the pack?
Possibly. The charger itself was pretty hot.

if you want to charge a 4 pack of batteries that are connected in series at a nominal 24vdc and used a 6vdc charger how do you think that is going to work?
if you wanted to load test the same pack of batteries you would also need to disconnect at least one connection on each battery to be tested.

think about it
You hook the charger cables up to each battery individually. Whether or not there are interconnecting cables going to other batteries doesn't matter. Where would the power go?

You have a bad battery, or more than one. It will have different impedance (internal resistance) compared to the rest. As you read about series circuits, you'll see that the high impedance battery will perform significantly differently, both charging and discharging, compared to the low ones.

Taking quite a while for them to charge. They are pretty much 100 percent dead, but I don't ever recall a 12v battery taking this long. Usually you just stick it on the charger for a couple of hours and that's good enough, but then again I don't usually run a 12v all the way dead either. These have more reserve capacity though at 243 minutes IIRC, maybe that's why.

When I had to jumpstart 24v Pisten bully groomers I disconnected the batteries and put a 12 v charger in each. Here I’d do two batteries at a time.

my friend just bought a used lift with the same 4 series battery configuration. Chances are one battery is weaker than the rest. the big charger will have to kick on and off, that’s how they work. some of the batteries are topping off while others still need more. You can try to charge them individually and it will help but you’ll still be limping along.
So it stopping, beeping like 6 times, then immediately starting again is normal? I don't recall it ever doing that before. I fixed the corroded connections, it's still restarting.

So it stopping, beeping like 6 times, then immediately starting again is normal? I don't recall it ever doing that before. I fixed the corroded connections, it's still restarting.
What is the make and model number on that charger - maybe we can look it up and find a manual to see what that means?

I found one for genie I think 3 beeps is overheat, 4 is output voltage too high. It beeps like 7 or 8 times when you unplug it. Doesn't say anything about that, but I'm pretty sure that's the number it beeps when it restarts. It does charge, it just restarts after 30 minutes and I've never gotten an accurate count when it does it.

2 good pages on battery charger info in that manual.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 4
Here is my charger. Actually just bought this one last night:

Ah! Well, do let us know how that one works. I can’t tell if the link at the bottom provides the right documents. The one linked suggests this one should have at least lights on it!

Ah! Well, do let us know how that one works. I can’t tell if the link at the bottom provides the right documents. The one linked suggests this one should have at least lights on it!
I'm sure it's something simple inside the charger that needs to be repaired, but oh well. I don't know enough about electrical boards to mess with it. I was lied to when I bought this lift. They said the charger was replaced once, possibly, but it looks original to me. Just throw a new charger in it and be done for $285

Thanks for trying to help though

Back