CTEK CS-ONE "Adaptive" Smart Charger ?

The 8-amp CS ONE has been available in Europe for 2 years, but is not readily available in the US. To use all its features requires a smart phone.
Voltage and current can be monitored on the phone. Polarity does not need to be observed when connecting the cables. Supposedly has advanced adaptive charging algorithms.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.18.25 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 8.24.39 AM.jpg

The 8-amp CS ONE has been available in Europe for 2 years, but is not readily available in the US. To use all its features requires a smart phone.
Voltage and current can be monitored on the phone. Polarity does not need to be observed when connecting the cables. Supposedly has advanced adaptive charging algorithms.

View attachment 197646

View attachment 197648

Not a fan after finding out that not all AGM batteries like to be charged at the "AGM" voltage prescribed by CTEK . I would be interesting to know how their software can differentiate between an AGM which likes to be charged at 14.4V vs 14.7V

Last edited:
“APTO does all the thinking for you so you don’t have to“ speaks volumes “. Another reason to pull our phone out of our pocket and go into zombie mode! My 20 year old $20 Schumacher 1.5 amp maintainer has been on my motorcycle AGM battery for going on 3 years and works flawlessly. It even has an automatic “ recond “ mode ( previously called ( desulfation mode ) . I have another Schumacher 1.5 amp that alternates between 2 cars that are rarely driven with the same results. I plug it in and fugget about it.

“APTO does all the thinking for you so you don’t have to“ speaks volumes “. Another reason to pull our phone out of our pocket and go into zombie mode! My 20 year old $20 Schumacher 1.5 amp maintainer has been on my motorcycle AGM battery for going on 3 years and works flawlessly. It even has an automatic “ recond “ mode ( previously called ( desulfation mode ) . I have another Schumacher 1.5 amp that alternates between 2 cars that are rarely driven with the same results. I plug it in and fugget about it.
I have to admit I own a whole bunch of various battery maintainers, from Battery Minder, Battery Tender, Griots Garage, Granite Digital "save a battery", some have automatic temperature compensation, 8 charging phases, and desulfation....and yet even the simplest battery tender has done the job just fine.

I think the most important thing is to use one when the car sits for more than a few days. Which one you use seems less important.

TOOOO much tech for me, BUT my over 10 YO CTEk MUSE 4.3 works great for ALL my charging needs!! all batteries are 5 YO plus + my 2013 Vic Hammers is OE!!!

Not a fan after finding out that not all AGM batteries like to be charged at the "AGM" voltage prescribed by CTEK . I would be interesting to know how their software can differentiate between an AGM which likes to be charged at 14.4V vs 14.7V
I don't think any automatic charger is 100% trustworthy. My Pro-Logix did some damage to my Northstar AGM when it entered a high voltage recondition mode. Afterwards, the resting voltage on the battery was 12.6V, instead of the previous 12.85V.

I don't think any automatic charger is 100% trustworthy. My Pro-Logix did some damage to my Northstar AGM when it entered a high voltage recondition mode. Afterwards, the resting voltage on the battery was 12.6V, instead of the previous 12.85V.
Ya I'd really be interested to know how their SW can detect battery type. I have a CTEK 7002 (Idiot me thought it could double as a PS for my car) and I have to manually choose between Normal and Snowflake "AGM".

Ya I'd really be interested to know how their SW can detect battery type. I have a CTEK 7002 (Idiot me thought it could double as a PS for my car) and I have to manually choose between Normal and Snowflake "AGM".
I have an older Griots Garage battery tender that I believe was made by Ctek and has that snowflake AGM button. Its supposed to be used in cold weather, or for AGM as it will (I believe) both charge to a slightly higher voltage initially, then float at a slightly higher voltage. But unlike a Battery Minder that will increase or decrease the voltage automatically throughout a range (has a built-in temperature probe)....this is a manually activated to a preset voltage. Seems a less than ideal what to go about it. Also unlike a Battery Minder, it has no compensation for hot weather...were it can decrease voltage slightly.

I have an older Griots Garage battery tender that I believe was made by Ctek and has that snowflake AGM button. Its supposed to be used in cold weather, or for AGM as it will (I believe) both charge to a slightly higher voltage initially, then float at a slightly higher voltage. But unlike a Battery Minder that will increase or decrease the voltage automatically throughout a range (has a built-in temperature probe)....this is a manually activated to a preset voltage. Seems a less than ideal what to go about it. Also unlike a Battery Minder, it has no compensation for hot weather...were it can decrease voltage slightly.
I may have to look into one of those. Their site is confusing because they have so many chargers for AGM and AGM Oddessy or AGM Optima. I'm nervous about hooking my CTEK up to my new Interstate because the factory battery was on it for years and I wonder if it had been damaged or was just old.

I may have to look into one of those. Their site is confusing because they have so many chargers for AGM and AGM Oddessy or AGM Optima. I'm nervous about hooking my CTEK up to my new Interstate because the factory battery was on it for years and I wonder if it had been damaged or was just old.
Even if your Interstate is an AGM, it is probably best to simply charge it on the flooded setting to avoid overcharging it.
My Battery Minder actually states to only use the AGM setting with Odyssey, Optima and other "high performance AGM" and to use the flooded setting with all other AGM batteries. I have read the "instructions for use" for most common AGM batteries and only Odyssey appears to push for a higher charging and float voltage.

CTEK (who I actually like) buries the AH range the unit can manage in the owners manual (annoying) Its 3-180. Not enough to do an average RV bank.

Id rather have an optimate 6 and deal with the slightly lower amperage but have a wider range of operations. 3-240 Enough to do an average RV bank.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 1.02.39 PM.png

CTEK (who I actually like) buries the AH range the unit can manage in the owners manual (annoying) Its 3-180. Not enough to do an average RV bank.

Id rather have an optimate 6 and deal with the slightly lower amperage but have a wider range of operations. 3-240 Enough to do an average RV bank.

View attachment 197702

Your needs maybe a bit outside the norm. I don't believe this new Ctek product is targeted for RV owners, based on the marketing literature and weblink provided above.

Your needs maybe a bit outside the norm. I don't believe this new Ctek product is targeted for RV owners, based on the marketing literature and weblink provided above.

Perhaps.

Regardless, the Optimate is more flexible covering a wider range of AH.

CTEK pushes the 2500 for RV's, (which I have as well and love ) but it lacks an AGM setting and has a much higher bottom AH point.

I'm curious about this too. I have a Schumacher "smart" charger that frequently detects a couple of my batteries as AGM, even though they are conventional lead acid. I have to wait for it to detect and then switch it from AGM to standard mode. Not sure why this would happen?

I have a 7002 as well, it does have a PS mode for battery changes but it wont do much but keep enough current to keep settings alive.

Ive never seen a chemistry detector. Every charger Ive ver seen requires a mode selector.

View attachment 197702
Those numbers are BS anyway. There’s no difference except the allowable time at full current, which is a safety feature. You could charge a 240Ah bank with a 1A charger if you wanted to invest the time. The key with that upper range is to avoid dumping fault current into a high impedance short, and starting the battery on fire, which even lead acid batteries will do!

Those numbers are BS anyway. There’s no difference except the allowable time at full current, which is a safety feature. You could charge a 240Ah bank with a 1A charger if you wanted to invest the time. The key with that upper range is to avoid dumping fault current into a high impedance short, and starting the battery on fire, which even lead acid batteries will do!

mmm I dont see it so much as BS as a window you can walk away in comfort on and not come back a month later to a red light on charger that stopped a 29 days ago.

Agreed you could get there with enough time on a low amp charger, but If I wanted a manual charger and the accompanying babysit Id just put an old analog on and not bother buying or using a smart charger.

Im equally worried about the low number and how low the unit can go , with the optimate thats 1/10 of an amp pulsed.

Last edited:
I have a 7002 as well, it does have a PS mode for battery changes but it wont do much but keep enough current to keep settings alive.

Ive never seen a chemistry detector. Every charger Ive ver seen requires a mode selector.
Ya I need something like a 32A PS which the 7002 falls well short. Lol. I'm such an idiot sometimes.

Back