How do I remove front seats in Camry?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
2011 Camry: I'd like to get under the front seats to clean and vacuum the area. I don't think the seat has to be removed from the car completely, but just removed or lifted so I can get under it. I believe @The Critic has done this with a Corolla. Has anyone else cleaned under their seats? Any suggestions and caveats would be appreciated.

The official way involves a series of steps. The unofficial way involves removing the 4 fasteners (usually 14mm) and disconnecting a connector or two.

From last week - I removed the driver front seat from @JeffKeryk 's Tundra:

1695766351066.jpg

The official way involves a series of steps. The unofficial way involves removing the 4 fasteners (usually 14mm) and disconnecting a connector or two.
I was hoping it would be that simple. Thanks for jumping in!

One specific caveat on seat removal: Do NOT turn on the ignition switch while the seat is removed if the electrical connection(s) are disconnected. Doing so will cause a fault code to be set in the SRS computer module that will be difficult to clear without the proper scantool. I always prefer to disconnect the battery before removing any seat just in case.

Removing the seat can be a tight squeeze. Highly recommend having a helper during removal - less likely to damage trim.
I do't necessarily want to remove the seat from the car, just remove it from the mount and raise it up so I can clean under it. Would an extra pair of hands be needed for that?

Once the bolts are out, it's easier to take it all the way out of the car. If you try to raise it up without unplugging the plug(s) the wiring could be damaged.

Removing the seats is a piece of cake; generally 4 fasteners and an electric connection, as others have posted Help can't hurt, just like everything we do.

Last edited:
this is my SOP.

move it all the way forward.
pull out whatever plastic if any covering the rear bolts.
Milwaukee them out. They will be pretty tight. Dont waste time with a socket set.
Push it all the way back.
Milwaukee the front bolts out.
Tilt the seat backwards and disconnect any wires, be careful and take your time.
Fold the seat down onto itself. Makes it easier to remove.
Lift it out.

One specific caveat on seat removal: Do NOT turn on the ignition switch while the seat is removed if the electrical connection(s) are disconnected. Doing so will cause a fault code to be set in the SRS computer module that will be difficult to clear without the proper scantool. I always prefer to disconnect the battery before removing any seat just in case.
Not true. The airbag system does constant checks while the car is on so it will see the connector is plugged in and clear itself at the next ignition cycle. The code will store as history but the airbag light will not be on and the system will function as intended.

Not true. The airbag system does constant checks while the car is on so it will see the connector is plugged in and clear itself at the next ignition cycle. The code will store as history but the airbag light will not be on and the system will function as intended.
Maybe on GMs, but not on many other models including F-150s, Hondas, BMWs, VWs, MB and most Toyotas.

Volvo will even set an airbag light if the ign is turned on while the HVAC controls are unplugged. And it’s a $120 dealer reset or a $120 buy the two-way scan tool. The Volvo will even throw the code/lamp if the wrong battery lead is disconnected before doing some other kind of electrical work - I can’t remember which - I bought the tool and it paid for itself within 4 months of Swedish ownership. After Ford bought Volvo, I started to see a lot of “Volvo-ish” thinking in the ford, such as 24 or so computerized modules saying hello on power up looking for coffee on start. I’ve not set the SRS warning on the F150 after all these years but I don’t put it past it….

Back