How cheap can I do a Euro oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I need to do 2 oil changes a year.

How many miles/km per year do you put on?

I do about 30,000 km. I might do 9 month oil changes, once every 20k.

If youre going to go that far on the oil, you shouldnt be doing anything on the cheap. That interval is usually only good with the higher quality oils, anything thats really that cheap will not hold up.

I really can't understand the premise of this question nor many of the replies. If it is a BMW then the oil needs to be one that meets the required specification, correct? So "cheap" in this instance is going to be the least expensive one on the Walmart shelf (preferably with a rebate) that carries the needed specification. If you are running out as far as you say you are with your OCI then you'd be a fool to use cheap oil, as Audios points out.

I realize you are in Canada so maybe there are less expensive alternatives to Walmart, but I can't see how in the long run a cheaper oil than what meets your engine's requirements can be in your best interest.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Is this a "what if" exercise or are you really trying to run a BMW on the super cheap?

I'm trying to go cheap. The car is getting a bit rusty and I can't see myself driving it over 3 more years.

Ask yourself what oils you guys have available that meet your cars specs.

Google the oil filter part number(s) and find the least expensive source. Consider aftermarket for additional savings.

Does XOM do rebates in Canada anyways? I get my M1 jugs for ~$12 each after rebate. $4.50 Mahle filters from Rock Auto. The M1 rebate is hassle free too. I burned more time typing this post than it'd take me to submit the rebate form.

Just be thankful you don't have to pay Australia Prices. 5L of LL01 or LL04 oil will run you $60-80AUD. Since you need 6.5, you'd end up buying a box of 3, and storing 1.5 for the next change, as 1L bottles are $20-30 each...

Regards
jordan

What age of BMW are we talking here? If something with an M50 or M52 engine, it'll be perfectly happy on mineral oil.

Here in Australia, there are a plethora of mineral and semi-synthetic oils that meet ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4, which can usually had on the cheap if you wait for sales. Oils with this ACEA specification are better than "any old oil" you'll find off the shelf, particularly 5w/10w-30 oils that may be ILSAC spec. and absolutely inappropriate for a European engine. The ACEA A3/B3/B4 specification also makes provision for longer oil change intervals.

Unless you can get fully synthetic through an oil supplier in Australia, you're better off with mineral oils, unless you know you can push synthetic to the absolute limits. Some of the LL01 oils can run even more than what JFAllen suggests.

You folks bashing the O.P. "because he drives a BMW and wants to cheap out" are completely missing the point of the question. The O.P. is obviously in an area where all oils are relatively expensive, and is searching for products that will meet the car's requirements, and his price requirements.

A word to the O.P., you may find that changing mineral oils more frequently ends up costing more than a full interval on an approved LongLife-01 synthetic. Basically, a factory 10,000+ mile interval with approved oil is better than roughly half with a mineral or semi-synth.
If you had an older BMW with the 7,500 interval, I'd say a very good mineral or semi-synth would be okay (as this was the OE spec), depending on your whether short or long trips.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I really can't understand the premise of this question nor many of the replies. If it is a BMW then the oil needs to be one that meets the required specification, correct? So "cheap" in this instance is going to be the least expensive one on the Walmart shelf (preferably with a rebate) that carries the needed specification. If you are running out as far as you say you are with your OCI then you'd be a fool to use cheap oil, as Audios points out.

I realize you are in Canada so maybe there are less expensive alternatives to Walmart, but I can't see how in the long run a cheaper oil than what meets your engine's requirements can be in your best interest.

The cheap Castrol 0w30 and 0w40 that I got on clearance at Autozone also meets BMW LL-01. It's Mobil 1 0w40 that doesn't have it anymore. That in the US was as low as $10.88 after a $12 rebate for a 5 quart jug which sells for $22.88 at Walmart. Also in Canada it's in kilometers so 20k is about 12.4k miles in the US. Mercedes use to spec a 13k oil change before going down to 10k so 12.4k should be fine on Castrol. It was assumed that he meant cheap oil that had the LL-01 spec.

Originally Posted By: Mau
The cheapest euro oils you can get in Canada are Motomaster Formula 1 Euro oil on sale or Mobil 1 0w40 which is not certified anymore for BMW.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 is/was also on sale at CT, I just bought a pile of it.

One BITOGer in the main forum was saying I can spend $20/year on oil changes and my car will be fine. I am a bit skeptical as an oil filter alone costs $10. Then I will have to buy 6.5L (one oil change) of synthetic oil for $10?

I am a bit too scared to put mineral oil in a BMW. I'm not sure how the VANOS and CCV systems would like it.

I need to do 2 oil changes a year. So two oil filters will be $20. I haven't seen Euro oil cheaper than $26 for 5 L from CT. So $20 (2 filters) + $78 (15L of oil) = $98 + tax = ~$115

Is there a cheaper oil change option I am missing?

You should be!
Stick to BM WLL-01 approved oils.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
1. OP does not live in the US.
2. That is likely not a correct oil for his car, unless he has a diesel engine.

3. In Canada, we get that only in 1 quart bottles, at around $12 or so a quart.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The cheapest euro oils you can get in Canada are Motomaster Formula 1 Euro oil on sale or Mobil 1 0w40 which is not certified anymore for BMW.

Castrol Edge 0w-40 is/was also on sale at CT, I just bought a pile of it.

I ended up getting some and it was $80 with tax for 10 L. Is this really the best deal in Canada?

Once I add a filter I'm at almost $100. Isn't that close to a dealer oil change?

Anybody get their changed at an independent shop? They should be able to do it for less than 100 bucks.

Neither is the Motomaster oil, correct? "Suitable for" only.

Anybody get their changed at an independent shop? They should be able to do it for less than 100 bucks.

Indys will at least have access to trade discounts and bulk supply rates for oil. So yes, it could cost a fair bit LESS.

I ended up getting some and it was $80 with tax for 10 L. Is this really the best deal in Canada?

Once I add a filter I'm at almost $100. Isn't that close to a dealer oil change?

Even the quick lube places will be over $100.

You are NOT doing it for $100 BTW, you will have 3.5L left over for the next oil change. If you buy three jugs, it is enough for two changes. Best price I have seen at CTC for the 0W40 is $29. So three jugs would be $98.31 with tax, add two filters for $20, you are at $118 for TWO oil changes, or $59 each.

Doubt it. Around here, a reputable Euro indy shop charges about $100/hour of labor, and they'll charge you at least half an hour for this, if not more. Plus oil and filter, you're looking at more than $100.

A quickie lube place might be able to do it for less, but there is no way I would take my Euro car there - way too many horror stories.

In the Toronto area, 747 parts stores, sell Liquid Moly oil at $40 Canadian for 5 litres. This is the cheapest oil that I can find that meets the required spec. You have to pay to play the game.

Three jugs of Castrol EDGE 0W-40 (LL-01 approved) = ~$70. 2 Mann oil filters = ~$20. Total = +/-$90, with some oil leftover for top-ups.

Edit: Just realized you're in Canada. Does CT have a house-brand oil in 0W-40 that is supposedly pretty good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Three jugs of Castrol EDGE 0W-40 (LL-01 approved) = ~$70. 2 Mann oil filters = ~$20. Total = +/-$90, with some oil leftover for top-ups.

Edit: Just realized you're in Canada. Does CT have a house-brand oil in 0W-40 that is supposedly pretty good?

All the CT oils are only “meets” spec, not approved. Not really any cheaper than Castro’s when it is on sale anyways, might as well get the real stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back