how can i weasel out of xtra fees for TPMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know WM charges xtra for tpms on tires,but i dont want it if i have to pay more for it....does anyone know about not using the TPMS when it is on your car?

No real way, unless you remove the transmitters at the wheels. To do this, you'll need to take the tires off.

What is this extra fee? Are you swapping rims?

The reason I ask is they tried to get me for "resetting" the TPMS and on my car there's no such thing.

On my car, they reset themselves. That is, after I had my tires rotated, I asked my Genesis trained Technician, "how does the car know what corner the sensor is located on, now that the tires have been rotated"? His answer was that there are also sensors near each wheelwell, that "talk" with the ones in the tire, and after a tire rotation, or a tire replacement, its all an automatic reset.

Originally Posted By: pzev
No real way, unless you remove the transmitters at the wheels. To do this, you'll need to take the tires off.

This won't eliminate the alarms on the IP. It'll just cause the system to "see" that there is a failure of the transmitters and/or the receivers.

The only way to eliminate any alarms is for the system to be deactivated. Some vehicles, such as the brands manufactured by Volkswagen AG, will self-deactivate after a certain period. The other way is to access the controller and shut down the system. If you don't have the necessary hardware and software, you're basically out of luck or money.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
On my car, they reset themselves. That is, after I had my tires rotated, I asked my Genesis trained Technician, "how does the car know what corner the sensor is located on, now that the tires have been rotated"? His answer was that there are also sensors near each wheelwell, that "talk" with the ones in the tire, and after a tire rotation, or a tire replacement, its all an automatic reset.

That's how mine is. One sensor at each wheel well so no resetting necessary. I have a strong feeling that the girlfriend's Murano has a centrally mounted sensor. When the tires are rotated, I have no idea which slot in the readout is which tire.

An interesting thing I've learned it the donut spare tire in my TL also has a TPMS transmitter.

I'm still unsure as to what the OP is trying to do.

I suspect that this fee is actually the service charge for the TPM sensors. They need to be serviced (core and O-rings replaced) each time the tires are replaced.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
I suspect that this fee is actually the service charge for the TPM sensors. They need to be serviced (core and O-rings replaced) each time the tires are replaced.

+1 You can probably convince them to remove the reset fee if it is resets on its own. But there is a service fee for replacing the seal, valve core, and nut, if applicable.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
But there is a service fee for replacing the seal, valve core, and nut, if applicable.

certain OEMs require those components to be replaced any time that tire assembly is serviced.

Don't think there's any way to get out of it. I agree it's a pain and another thing that can break. Nothing you can do.
frown.gif

It's a sign of times to come. TPMS may soon be mandated. I believe tire service places by law cannot service a tire with a non-working TPM, and they must first repair the sensor before servicing the tire. It's an added cost for allowing the government to look out for our well being.

Thankfully I have a Harbor Freight tire changer at home and I won't have to put up with this nonsense.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I bought new wheels and ignore the dash lights.
Another useless safety device.

Useless? Really?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
But there is a service fee for replacing the seal, valve core, and nut, if applicable.

certain OEMs require those components to be replaced any time that tire assembly is serviced.

Yes, the if applicable part referred to the different types of TPMS sensors. The band type sits in the drop center and does not have a input valve at all, etc.

Yes, the if applicable part referred to the different types of TPMS sensors. The band type sits in the drop center and does not have a input valve at all, etc.

those are a big money maker for my dept. so many shops break those. or else they will break them and then have the customer come in and have them tell us the light came on randomly..

Originally Posted By: MaxPilot
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I bought new wheels and ignore the dash lights.
Another useless safety device.

Useless? Really?

useless to me, as I check air pressures once a week. If I have a flat I will know it. Been driving for 38 years without a NANNY, probably can go another 38 G O D willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back