How bad is this chain deflection?

Doing a valve cover gasket today and notice the chain seems a bit loose. It doesn't make any noise and there's no slapping marks on the cover or OCV fitting, no cam/crank correlation codes or timing codes. I know some deflection is normal when the engine isn't running but how much is too much?

Considering how close the two sprockets are, I think it's a bit excessive. You will see more slop on the longer spans of the timing chain. I don't think it's an emergency issue however.

How many miles?

You can't tell just from that. One of the cams may have jumped back 1/4 inch after shutting off the engine, no oil pressure to the tensioner with the engine off increasing slack, etc. If you have no cam codes I wouldn't worry about it much.
That's reassuring, the tensioner is hydraulic but it's also ratcheting so it should theoretically keep tension even if it bleeds down. There's obviously nothing wrong with the timing based on scan tool data and very good compression.

There are go/no go gauges for use on bike chains to help determine when the chains need to be replaced. The older tool I have measures 0.75 and 1.0% stretch, and the newer one 0.5 and 0.75% stretch (reflecting a reduced tolerance for stretch with the newer thinner chains).

Is there anything similar for automotive timing chains? I assume the chains are vehicle-specific, which would mean a different tool would be needed for each type of vehicle.

Maybe there are specs of distance x between y number of links for a new chain. Once length x plus (for example) 10 mm is exceeded, the chain should be replaced.

Just speculation on my part.

Back