Hot Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tea is not something I obsess about. The ones I have right now are all bagged:

Twining's Earl Grey (been drinking this for a long time)
Traditional Medicinal Ginger Aid (I buy all I can when I can find it)
an unknown green tea that my niece brought back from Japan

I just stick with what I like and usually don't experiment much.

I'll try anything once
smile.gif

That said, I generally like black teas, Assam more than anything. I probably like the Darjeelings the least of the blacks. If I buy a tea I don't like much, I just cut it with Earl Grey. That makes everything taste better.

I've got one very similar to that, too, functions as a kettle and a tea brewer, with a basket that lifts out while in use. It also has a pretimer and keep warm feature for green tea, but it won't work at black tea temperatures, but that's another matter. I think the capacity is similar, too, maybe a hair more, but I'm not positive.

If you like fruit flavored try celestrial seasoning fruit sampler pack good plain or with some sugar

I've switched to tea over the past month and found that I like Earl Grey tea pretty well. I've drank the Bigelow and cheaper 'Great Value' brand and liked both. I struck up a conversation about tea with two of my English co-workers and one of them brought me in a box of Member's Mark (Sam's Club) English breakfast tea. It's very good, decently strong black tea. Full-leaf and pyramid bags are a bonus.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I've switched to tea over the past month and found that I like Earl Grey tea pretty well. I've drank the Bigelow and cheaper 'Great Value' brand and liked both. I struck up a conversation about tea with two of my English co-workers and one of them brought me in a box of Member's Mark (Sam's Club) English breakfast tea. It's very good, decently strong black tea. Full-leaf and pyramid bags are a bonus.

Generally Irish Breakfast Teas are stronger than English. Now, of course, this depends how they are blended. People tend to brew(steep, diffuse) longer when they want stronger. This usually makes bitter. If you want stronger, brew the same time, but use more tea. I like strong tea, although I drink gunpowder greens occasionally, and specialty teas too. More of an Indian tea person, as opposed to Chinese
smile.gif
Love Assam types, like Nilgiri, tolerate Darjeeling. The key with tea? Drink what you like, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Anyone ever hear of this company?

Pricing and selection look pretty good to me. I still, however, wonder what possesses people to put cornflower petals and other mulchings into Earl Grey tea. This is Earl Grey tea, not Earl Grey herbal tea, or Earl Grey tea plus garden clippings.

Tetley British Blend is a good value, authentic British style tea available in Walmart, Target, Grocery stores etc.

Tetley also have a green and black tea - I think it's earl grey - which I like occasionally. I think they got the idea of a green and black mix from Stash whose version is better.

Otherwise, I rotate between Assam, Ceylon, sometimes Kenyan, and "Gold" teas which are a blend of those three. Yorkshire Gold is one example. Kenyan and Gold teas (which have Kenyan as part of the blend), are good when you want something more robust in flavor.

When brewed correctly, Darjeeling is an amazing tea. I can imagine many people not giving it a second chance because brewed incorrectly it ends up bitter and loses it's subtlety.

White tea is also very nice.

I don't drink green teas as often as I maybe should, as the health benefits are greater. When I do, I like Jasmine tea.

My favourite regular drink is Sencha tea. This is a Japanese green tea that is steamed, so you get less bitterness that you get with pan dried teas (that scorch the tips). It's generally drunk quite weak, I use about qtr tea spoon per large cup, can be drunk in large quantities and very thirst quenching and makes a good cold tea as well.
I am currently drinking Yamamotoyama which is one of the biggest brands from Japan.

I also like Jasmine flavoured tea and don't mind most green teas.
I do like the odd Earl Grey (Twinings is best) on occasion (especially good with Fish and Chips or after a Bacon butty).

I just got some Stash Peach loose tea. Smells awesome. Tastes pretty good, better than other peach teas I have had. Just a hint of peach and good black tea(haven't figured the blend). Maybe a Ceylon.

Tea is great when I am on a healthy diet and eating moderately. I enjoy the black english types and fairly strong.

But when I am eating like my usual self (overindulging), tea becomes bland and only coffee will do.

Odd, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back