Corn Syrup Solids

I've been trying to cut sugar out of my diet. With the availability of Splenda (sucralose) so readily available, it's not too hard to do. But how close to sugar are corn syrup solids? They put corn syrup in sodas instead of sugar I know. I drink that Cascade soda and that Poweraid Zero sugar free drink; both use sucralose instead of corn syrup. What's been really hard to cut out is that Lipton Brisk ice tea that comes in a soda can. That stuff is delicious. I still drink coffee in the morning. I use Coffee Mate in the coffee and sweeten it with honey. The Coffee Mate has corn syrup solids.

Last edited:
Go for flavored seltzer waters. Zero sugar in those if you look for the right ones.

Fake sugars are just as bad as real sugar. The only sweeteners I would consider would be monk fruit sweetener and stevia.
That's good advice ... (y)

brisk.. ewwww.

Go buy some of these. 48 gallons for 6$
make a gallon(can use pan with 48oz of water then dilute and pour over ice or brew into coffee pot then pour onto ice fill rest of gallon pitcher with water)
sweeten with stevia.
here is the best deal 800 packets for 18$(costco 12.xx for 400)

Pitcher
Can you make tea in a coffee pot? And why is Stevia better than Splenda?

Go for flavored seltzer waters. Zero sugar in those if you look for the right ones.

Fake sugars are just as bad as real sugar. The only sweeteners I would consider would be monk fruit sweetener and stevia.
Thats what i drink. Great when cold. Costo has house brand thats good. So is La Croix.
My garage fridge is full of seltzer.
IMG_20230218_225211326.jpg

I've been trying to cut sugar out of my diet. With the availability of Splenda (sucralose) so readily available, it's not too hard to do. But how close to sugar are corn syrup solids? They put corn syrup in sodas instead of sugar I know. I drink that Cascade soda and that Poweraid Zero sugar free drink; both use sucralose instead of corn syrup. What's been really hard to cut out is that Lipton Brisk ice tea that comes in a soda can. That stuff is delicious. I still drink coffee in the morning. I use Coffee Mate in the coffee and sweeten it with honey. The Coffee Mate has corn syrup solids.

Don't kid yourself. It's all junk sugar. NOT good at all.

I don't use (much) sugar if any really.

For my coffee I do use this:

Yes it has erythritol, but one packet a day should be a non issue.

Some would say the monk fruit has a funky flavor.
I have used both if they were the same price I'd still buy the non-monk fruit.
cant be much dextrose it is 0 calories per packet.

The wife drinks 4-5 glasses of tea a day (2 packets per).. so 5? calories of dextrose to Erythritol.

Erythritol side effects typically include digestive problems and diarrhea. It may also cause bloating, cramps, and gas. Additionally, erythritol and other sugar alcohols frequently result in more water in the intestines, causing diarrhea. Nausea and headaches may occur as well.

Now me I use real sugar.. but I've gotten used to this stevia.. first time I could ever stand a non-sugar sweetener. (I like the one you listed too)
I use 1 packet in a 12oz glass.. and its just right.

Some would say the monk fruit has a funky flavor.
I have used both if they were the same price I'd still buy the non-monk fruit.
cant be much dextrose it is 0 calories per packet.

The wife drinks 4-5 glasses of tea a day (2 packets per).. so 5? calories of dextrose to Erythritol.

Erythritol side effects typically include digestive problems and diarrhea. It may also cause bloating, cramps, and gas. Additionally, erythritol and other sugar alcohols frequently result in more water in the intestines, causing diarrhea. Nausea and headaches may occur as well.

Now me I use real sugar.. but I've gotten used to this stevia.. first time I could ever stand a non-sugar sweetener. (I like the one you listed too)
I use 1 packet in a 12oz glass.. and its just right.
Stevia, with enough quantity tastes metallic to me. Monk fruit has a taste as well. The Whole Earth stuff smells slightly like vanilla, but has no flavor.

You focus on the price, but it's not worth the lower price to me to buy dextrose.

Actually eythritol is quite different than the other sugar alcohols. And all the studies show issues with quantities no human will be eating. For example, I won't eat sorbitol or xylitol

From one of the links above:

"However, erythritol is different from the other sugar alcohols. Most of it gets absorbed into your bloodstream before it reaches your colon

It circulates in your blood for a while, until it’s eventually excreted unchanged in your urine. About 90% of erythritol is excreted this way"

Use what you like and want, but don't claim a win over me when comparing price of different products, makes little sense in this case.

Sugar alcohols wreak havoc with diabetics. This past Christmas someone gave me a box of sugar free chocolates. They had sugar alcohols along with mannitol which is another type of sugar. I gave them away later on.

Sugar alcohols wreak havoc with diabetics. This past Christmas someone gave me a box of sugar free chocolates. They had sugar alcohols along with mannitol which is another type of sugar. I gave them away later on.
How so?

Wreak havoc?

Sugar alcohols are carbs. All of them. Maybe that is what you mean.

But there nothing specific - especially erythritol that is deadly, used lightly of course.

Read here:

Back