Boba Tea?

I'll translate the best I can: corn or potato starch, cassava, lotus root, pectin, seasoning, sugar, water, food color, etc.

Basically it is a gummy bear with starch.

The strange thing about tapioca/cassava is that it's not native to Asia. Neither are beans, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chili peppers, peanuts, or squash. However, what would Asian cuisine be like today without those? Or modern European cuisine?

However, I remember mentioning to a Chinese friend that chili peppers are native to the Americas, but he was insisted that they dated all the way back to antiquity in China. Same for an Indian friend who thought I was spewing BS.

The strange thing about tapioca/cassava is that it's not native to Asia. Neither are beans, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chili peppers, peanuts, or squash. However, what would Asian cuisine be like today without those? Or modern European cuisine?

However, I remember mentioning to a Chinese friend that chili peppers are native to the Americas, but he was insisted that they dated all the way back to antiquity in China. Same for an Indian friend who thought I was spewing BS.
I do remember knowing soy bean has been around before America. Yes the pepper, tomato, potato, peanut, corn etc are all non natives.

I do remember knowing soy bean has been around before America. Yes the pepper, tomato, potato, peanut, corn etc are all non natives.

A little research and I'll clarify it was the common bean that was from the new world.

One Chinese friend insisted that chili peppers were common in China for over a thousand years, with the claim that it was brought back by a Chinese explorer. However, my reading of history is that Hunan and Sichaun cuisine started incorporating chili peppers perhaps in the 17th century via trade routes from India, which adopted chili peppers even earlier.

Back