Honda OEM A02 oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Fram made Honda OEM oil filter. It was in use for somewhere between 3,000-5,000 miles in a 2001 Honda Civic LX. It also sat for around 5-6 months in storage during this OCI. The oil used was bulk Gulf synthetic blend from the Honda dealership. I forget if they used 5W-20 or 5W-30. I think it was the latter. The pleats looked fine, but the ADBV did not seem to work as the oil filter was almost completely empty and it sat base up all winter in our garage. The ADBV did still feel pliable, so perhaps it was just a defect with the construction of the filter or because I dented the can taking it off affecting the way the filter sat together inside the can. The dents on the filter are from removing it as the dealership put it on with excessive force.

20150606_141529_zpsp1yy8dcf.jpg

20150606_142755_zpsnwsphsb4.jpg

20150606_142805_zpsvztmkiz7.jpg

20150606_142816_zpsm5ouvli2.jpg

Looks like it did the job, they are built like the Fram Tough Guard but with way less efficiency

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/eao/EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

In fact Honda (and Toyota) OEM filters have efficiency ratings way below what almost all aftermarket filters provide. And yet the Consumer Reports 10 cars that will go 200k are 5 Hondas and 5 Toyotas.

Gives a huge credence to the FLOW side in the flow vs efficiency argument doesn't it?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Looks like it did the job, they are built like the Fram Tough Guard but with way less efficiency

http://www.amsoil.com/graphs/eao/EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

In fact Honda (and Toyota) OEM filters have efficiency ratings way below what almost all aftermarket filters provide. And yet the Consumer Reports 10 cars that will go 200k are 5 Hondas and 5 Toyotas.

Gives a huge credence to the FLOW side in the flow vs efficiency argument doesn't it?

I wonder. Honda still recommends a filter change at every other OCI, or up to 20,000 miles or so on a filter. Maybe the reduced efficiency when new is a trade-off: they should become more efficient with age (like air filters), and perhaps a too-efficient, OEM cost filter would not make it to 20k.

So, for Honda owners, if this trade-off is intentional, is it detrimental to change the Honda filter at each OCI? Is it better to use a more-efficient filter and change it at each OCI? Another question we can't really answer, but I guess I'd lean to the better filter/each OCI approach.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are these Tough Guard clones?

Probably is a TG clone since it has the silicone ADBV.

One thing I notice is that seems the Honda OEM filters have thicker end caps than the sister Frams. Would be interesting if someone measured them both to determine if that is true or not.

That's why when I ditched the tearolators and went looking for another I went back to OEM instead of something else like Wix. I no longer buy into filter efficiency or metal end caps. I would maybe use the Denso but the A02 has the Honda name (and blame if anything goes wrong) so it has the edge. I also like the fiber end caps more than metal end caps so that's an edge over as well.

These days if I see a company tout massive filtration efficiency rates as an advantage I roll my eyes. If the same company touts metal end caps as an advantage that brand goes on my "never buy" list.

Anyway does 97% or 99% efficiency sound good? Of course. But it's probably more a marketing gimmick than anything. I question whether particles closer to the upper limit do any damage if they're smaller than the gap in crucial wear areas like fluid bearings. Honda designed the engine so they know how much wear occurs from the cylinder wall and bearings, how efficient their pre-oiled OEM air filters are so I'll trust they factored all of that before selecting Fram or having Fram make oil filters to their specs.

Yes and no

Yes in that they are build very similar including silicone ADBV and similar pleats (ie more than the OCOD and generally better construction and spacing)

I would assume the media is different though, Fram says the Tough Guard has a 99% efficiency at 20 microns. According to the Amsoil test I posted on this thread, the A02 filters from Honda (the Fram made ones) are only 66.5% at 20 microns.

Yes and no

Yes in that they are build very similar including silicone ADBV and similar pleats (ie more than the OCOD and generally better construction and spacing)

I would assume the media is different though, Fram says the Tough Guard has a 99% efficiency at 20 microns. According to the Amsoil test I posted on this thread, the A02 filters from Honda (the Fram made ones) are only 66.5% at 20 microns.

Yup and the A02 has that torque stopper with the metal ring and the circular gasket. The A02's aren't simply just TG's painted blue. They have features like the gasket with torque stopper that are on the A01's by Filtech so I think Honda gave Fram/Honeywell their specs and had them make a separate filter for their own specs. Wonder if the efficiency of the A01 is the same as A02.

Yes and no

I'm not saying that the test is B.S. By no means but I just don't get that it's that poor of a rating as good of construction as it is and that its so close to a tough gaurd that's 99%. Shame Honda don't release its specs. Or a third party tester did the test. I've never read too much into a manufacturer claims comparing others to theirs. No matter the brands name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back