Bosch 3300 Cut Open 5,104 Miles

In my observation, including but not limited to personal use of many US made Bosch Premium (3323) filters, vs the newer Mexico coo, the latter have proven to be poor quality filters. This one just latest example. Don't know if coo change an M&H or Bosch or both decision, but for BP quality a move in the wrong direction. And imo, filter is current Bosch Prem, same coo BP coming out of Amazon and RA.

I also agree with comment regarding the adbv. If not touched after cutting, it looks to have slid down the outlet flange and flipped directions. I'm very familiar with that finding as I found the Grupo Gonher made Nissan OEM to have the same defect and posted it with c&p. Then discovered other anecdotes posted showing it, just unrecognized. Ironic as Nissan OEM same coo as topic. The other explanation, adbv installed upside down. Results the same though, compromised adbv function and very likely oil bypass at the outlet tube end, same the Nissan OEM.

Obviously, I won't be purchasing any more BP filters. Best way to describe this one, ugly.

Thanks for c&p.
Definitely a M&H decision b/c they've moved a good chunk of their basic filter lines over to this Mexico plant in the last couple years. This Mexico plant has been sold 3 times or so now in the last decade so that tells me a tale. Hopefully, they'll get it together eventually.

In my observation, including but not limited to personal use of many US made Bosch Premium (3323) filters, vs the newer Mexico coo, the latter have proven to be poor quality filters. This one just latest example. Don't know if coo change an M&H or Bosch or both decision, but for BP quality a move in the wrong direction. And imo, filter is current Bosch Prem, same coo BP coming out of Amazon and RA.

I also agree with comment regarding the adbv. If not touched after cutting, it looks to have slid down the outlet flange and flipped directions. I'm very familiar with that finding as I found the Grupo Gonher made Nissan OEM to have the same defect and posted it with c&p. Then discovered other anecdotes posted showing it, just unrecognized. Ironic as Nissan OEM same coo as topic. The other explanation, adbv installed upside down. Results the same though, compromised adbv function and very likely oil bypass at the outlet tube end, same the Nissan OEM.

Obviously, I won't be purchasing any more BP filters. Best way to describe this one, ugly.

Thanks for c&p.
I just found your post regarding the Nissan filter with the same issues, probably same manufacturing facility. Valve had definitely slid up the flange and inverted somehow

Definitely a M&H decision...
Possible, but IDK that the move wasn't done with collaboration with Bosch. Alternatively, though less likely, Bosch has gone with a new manufacturer in Mexico. I can't recall if any indication of M&H on the BP filter. Before with US made, the Puro date code did that. In any case, the Bosch name is on the filter, so it makes them look bad.

I just found your post regarding the Nissan filter with the same issues, probably same manufacturing facility. Valve had definitely slid up the flange and inverted somehow
Good information on the adbv. On the Nissan, the silicone adbv center that supposed to cover the outlet tube end, too thin and when in use, allowed adbv to slide down the tube. As for same facility, possible though the filter construction here looks different than the Nissan OEM. But stating the obvious, both poor quality.

If the ADBV slides over the protruding cylinder on the end cap, it's either a design problem or a manufacting problem, like the wrong ADBV for the application or parts dimensions that work when assembled. Certainly not good, but at least doesn't pose a risk to cause engine failure.

Possible, but IDK that the move wasn't done with collaboration with Bosch. Alternatively, though less likely, Bosch has gone with a new manufacturer in Mexico. I can't recall if any indication of M&H on the BP filter. Before with US made, the Puro date code did that. In any case, the Bosch name is on the filter, so it makes them look bad.

Good information on the adbv. On the Nissan, the silicone adbv center that supposed to cover the outlet tube end, too thin and when in use, allowed adbv to slide down the tube. As for same facility, possible though the filter construction here looks different than the Nissan OEM. But stating the obvious, both poor quality.
They are using the same Mexico plant that WIX & other M&H owned filters use. I've speculated that even Microgard basics are coming from the same Mexico plant since Premium Guard uses M&H for those. At the end of the day, well, M&H is the boss of Bosch.. 😄

Last edited:
... At the end of the day, well, M&H is the boss of Bosch...
That perhaps true in the oil filter sense, afaik not true in other auto parts sense. Having looked at the Bosch Premium boxes and filters I have, I see have no indication of any M&H connection. As mentioned, the Purolator date code the only tell I see.

Do you have a link or citing or other published info showing that the current BP definitively manufactured by M&H in Mexico? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it. Afaik, nothing stopping Bosch from moving to another manufacturer. In fact before that partnered with M&H to buy Purolator, Bosch oil filters were made by Champ Labs. The partnership as Puro owners dissolved in 2019 when M&H taking full ownership.

Looking at BP Mexico coo oil filters no matter who makes them, if my company name on these filters, I'd be looking for new manufacturer.

That perhaps true in the oil filter sense, afaik not true in other auto parts sense. Having looked at the Bosch Premium boxes and filters I have, I see have no indication of any M&H connection. As mentioned, the Purolator date code the only tell I see.

Do you have a link or citing or other published info showing that the current BP definitively manufactured by M&H in Mexico? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it. Afaik, nothing stopping Bosch from moving to another manufacturer. In fact before that partnered with M&H to buy Purolator, Bosch oil filters were made by Champ Labs. The partnership as Puro owners dissolved in 2019 when M&H taking full ownership.

Looking at BP Mexico coo oil filters no matter who makes them, if my company name on these filters, I'd be looking for new manufacturer.
M&H owns a plant in Mexico. This Bosch filter, owned my M&H, says "Made in Mexico". I'm under the assumption that these are where the basic oil filters are made inside their Mexico Mann & Hummel plant. But to your point you are right in that they could be using another plant owned by someone else. I just find that hard to believe when they already have their own production plant in Mexico.

Bosch has "10 locations in Mexico"
https://www.bosch-presse.de/pressportal/de/en/press-release-146373.html

Not sure if this Mexico Mann & Hummel location is one but I listed it here too below.

https://www.wixfilters.com/About/PlantLocations.aspx

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mann+Hummel+Filtration+Technology+Mexico/@25.5830723,-100.9000039,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipOolZxvuqdmKXdE1_4IsFQGElLeomk6rVBzAbNK!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipOolZxvuqdmKXdE1_4IsFQGElLeomk6rVBzAbNK=w203-h152-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m7!3m6!1s0x8688142d712aebf3:0xe39407733cd20f9e!8m2!3d25.583027!4d-100.900095!10e5!16s/g/11b6dqr82n?entry=ttu

...M&H owns a plant in Mexico. This Bosch filter, owned my M&H, says "Made in Mexico". ....
Two different things discussed here. I'm aware M&H has manufacturing facilities in Mexico. Many years ago, seen and used Wix filters with that coo. Even c&p at least one. So that not in doubt.

As for Bosch Oil filters being "owned" by M&H, I'm less certain that is true. In fact, it's doubtful to me. It's known by date code BP were made in the US by Purolator, now soley owned by M&H. I've been under the impression with the oil filters, they 'contracted with M&H Purolator to make them in the US. Just as before that, Bosch contracted with Champ Labs US to make them. But the Bosch filter name not owned by CL.

All that said, I've allowed the possibility still being made by M&H or division, but also taht Bosch could be 'contracting; with another manufacturer now to make the topic BP. Still see nothing as definitive proof to say that latter not possible. Whichever the case, with Bosch name on it, ultimately the Bosch filter quality or lack of it in topic case, reflects on them first.

That’s exactly how it came apart, I don’t think it’s upside down, it’s just not necessarily curved correctly
In that case the ADBV wasn't doing anything. I wonder if it was a one off case or a lot more filters are affected.
My only experience with Bosch filters was a few years ago when I bought a bunch of clearance Bosch Distance Plus filters from Walmart. They were made by Purolator and every one of them looked good when cut open. Too bad.

My only experience with Bosch filters was a few years ago when I bought a bunch of clearance Bosch Distance Plus filters from Walmart. They were made by Purolator and every one of them looked good when cut open. Too bad.
Same here, the ones in the clear plastic box. I used a few of them on my family's Hondas and they looked good.

Two different things discussed here. I'm aware M&H has manufacturing facilities in Mexico. Many years ago, seen and used Wix filters with that coo. Even c&p at least one. So that not in doubt.

As for Bosch Oil filters being "owned" by M&H, I'm less certain that is true. In fact, it's doubtful to me. It's known by date code BP were made in the US by Purolator, now soley owned by M&H. I've been under the impression with the oil filters, they 'contracted with M&H Purolator to make them in the US. Just as before that, Bosch contracted with Champ Labs US to make them. But the Bosch filter name not owned by CL.

All that said, I've allowed the possibility still being made by M&H or division, but also taht Bosch could be 'contracting; with another manufacturer now to make the topic BP. Still see nothing as definitive proof to say that latter not possible. Whichever the case, with Bosch name on it, ultimately the Bosch filter quality or lack of it in topic case, reflects on them first.
Thanks for sticking with me on this 😁. First you are absolutely correct about M&H not owning Bosch.

That is where I screwed up big time 😣. That whole m&h Bosch Purolator situation confused me and I didn't realize it until you talked about it some more. Again thanks for that correction. 👍

Second is I still speculate that m&h may be manufacturing BP filters for them in Mexico but I have no proof. I need to dig into that. 🤔

Second is I still speculate that m&h may be manufacturing BP filters for them in Mexico but I have no proof. I need to dig into that. 🤔
Where's the proof that M&H is making filters for MicroGard like you mentioned in post 45? 🤷‍♂️

...Second is I still speculate that m&h may be manufacturing BP filters for them in Mexico but I have no proof. I need to dig into that. 🤔
Yep, as I said, it's possible. Whoever it is though, these BP coming out of their plant/facility, embarrassing to say the least.

As for the Bosch filter ownership thing, it's all good. (y)

My guess is that it is no longer the 95% at 20 microns media, but the same 99% at 30 microns media the Supertech has. No longer the value that it was.
Will have to see if Fram changes their efficiency statement if the EG is going to be this permanent change.

Will have to see if Fram changes their efficiency statement if the EG is going to be this permanent change.
Not optimistic on that happening soon. Whip City Wrencher's new style PH series came out of a box that said silicone ADBV, and it wasn't of course. :eek:

I too am skeptical that the orange can will maintain it's 95% efficiency rating after the obvious cost cutting.

Not optimistic on that happening soon. Whip City Wrencher's new style PH series came out of a box that said silicone ADBV, and it wasn't of course. :eek:

I too am skeptical that the orange can will maintain it's 95% efficiency rating after the obvious cost cutting.
Well, it's also possible that the media didn't change regardless of the other changes. So we'll never really know. And the EG rated at 95% @ 20u already is basically 99% @ 30u.

Back