Subaru 15208AA20A with 6K Miles cut open

This is the new Subaru 15208AA20A filter that is made in Indonesia with Tokyo Roki branding.

Interesting note: The design matches with a filter brand called Sakura which we do not have access to in the US market. There are several YouTube videos of these filters being cut open and they all have a unique coil spring design. Sakura is the brand used by Selamat Sempurna out of Indonesia, and their website indicates that they have an agreement to make filters for Tokyo Roki.

Construction of this filter is excellent. This filtter has just under 6,000 miles of whatever synthetic 0w-20 the local dealership used before it was sold. Engine is the 2.4L Turbo GDI.

15208AA20A_crimp.jpg

Pleats are straight evenly spaced, even at the metal crimp.

center_tube.jpg

Center tube with holes, no worry about improperly formed lovers here. The bypass valve is also visible.

15208AA20A_spring.jpg

Unique coil spring design

15208AA20A_can_inside.jpg

Nothing gross in the can, just some dents from a filter wrench.

15208AA20A_baseplate_adbv.jpg

The ADBV is thin nitrile rubber, but it fits very nicely

Last edited:
This is the new Subaru 15208AA20A filter that is made in Indonesia with Tokyo Roki branding.

Interesting note: The design matches with a filter brand called Sakura which we do not have access to in the US market. There are several YouTube videos of these filters being cut open and they all have a unique coil spring design. Sakura is the brand used by Selamat Sempurna out of Indonesia, and their website indicates that they have an agreement to make filters for Tokyo Roki.

Construction of this filter is excellent. This filtter has just under 6,000 miles of whatever synthetic 0w-20 the local dealership used before it was sold. Engine is the 2.4L Turbo GDI.

View attachment 194850

Pleats are straight evenly spaced, even at the metal crimp.

View attachment 194851
Center tube with holes, no worry about improperly formed lovers here. The bypass valve is also visible.

View attachment 194852
Unique coil spring design

View attachment 194853
Nothing gross in the can, just some dents from a filter wrench.

View attachment 194854

The ADBV is thin nitrile rubber, but it fits very nicely
Much better than older blue cans of delight. I'm buying some, Thanks for the C&P!

Thanks for posting!

Am I to understand this is the current filter source for Subaru going forward?
I was of the understanding that Subaru was having difficulty with their supply of OEM oil filters.

Regardless, that filter looks good.

Thanks for posting!

Am I to understand this is the current filter source for Subaru going forward?
I was of the understanding that Subaru was having difficulty with their supply of OEM oil filters.

Regardless, that filter looks good.

You are correct.

The supply issues have been resolved. Tokyo Roki replaces First Brands (FRAM) as the supplier for these oil filters. An updated part number was issued.

You are correct.

The supply issues have been resolved. Tokyo Roki replaces First Brands (FRAM) as the supplier for these oil filters. An updated part number was issued.

I’m wondering what the efficiency is on this particular filter?
You had posted in another thread that this filter wasn’t exactly knocking the socks off of other filters in terms of efficiency.

I’m currently using a NAPA Gold on the 2.5 Outback.

Did the top of the metal can have a date code or anything?
05 10 23

You had posted in another thread that this filter wasn’t exactly knocking the socks off of other filters in terms of efficiency.
No efficiency specs are published, but YouTube user WhipCityWrencher took a picture of the media under a microscope. You can see some light spots in the media which you don't typically see on higher end filters.

Yeah, that filter doesn't even appear used. I'd say that it's on the lower efficiency side but looks like an excellent quality filter.

Back