Honda Fit OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
Just bought a new Honda Fit Sport, A/T. Car will be used by my wife for *very* short trips; i.e, her work "commute" is about 6 blocks, & the rest of the miles will be short trips around town mostly. Should I follow Honda's recommendation & change the oil per the OLM, or do the months/miles OCI? I'm new to Hondas & not sure how hard this driving will be on this engine. Also, any recommendations on oil for this application would be appreciated.
Thans in advance

Nice car!
thumbsup2.gif

I'd follow the OLM and any 5w-20 will be excellent!

My Dad has used Castrol GTX, Pennzoil YB, QS, Chevron and Mobil 5000 in his 01 Civic and 05 Honda powered Vue with great results.

The Civic has over 150k miles on it and the Vue over 80k. Clean as new and running like new.

The Honda motor is a great one (as long as its good from the factory. Dads 2001 got a new block @ 14k miles) and will last on ANY oil.

Be safe and enjoy the new ride!

Bill

My mother does that sort of commute, and we found via UOA that she could still extend OCI running Mobil 1.

Hers is a 2.0L plymouth breeze. 120k miles later, still runs like new.

The OLM will definitely take that into account. I would just follow that, but it might be as short as 6000 miles. If you want a larger margin of safety, you can simply do your OCI's with xx% left on the OLM.

No worries at all. My college car was a 1985 Honda Civic "S". That was before the SI. I ran 10w40 oil in it and beat the living $%^@ out of that car. Still ran like new after 100k miles and was clean as a whistle under the valve cover after all that time.

Congrats on the new Fit. I just posted a thread on mine and the maintenance minder system. I got a little anxious at over 8k miles and changed. But the oil looked fine when I drained it.

Originally Posted By: newpassatt
Hi everyone,
Just bought a new Honda Fit Sport, A/T. Car will be used by my wife for *very* short trips; i.e, her work "commute" is about 6 blocks, & the rest of the miles will be short trips around town mostly. Should I follow Honda's recommendation & change the oil per the OLM, or do the months/miles OCI? I'm new to Hondas & not sure how hard this driving will be on this engine. Also, any recommendations on oil for this application would be appreciated.
Thans in advance

Congrats on the new Fit! I concur w/ what everyone else has said, any SM rated 5w20 will work fine in your car... I might add that you do not want to change the factory fill until the MM says 15% as it is a special break in oil full of Moly.Read the owner manuel about the MM. The MM will tell you what maintenance needs to be done. Good luck w/ your nice new ride!
Joe

Consensus is that that moly is assembly lube. But who knows? FYI, I just posted a link in MY MM thread that has a Fit owner's UOA on the breakin oil. Just looks like extra moly.

just did my first oil change on my fit with YB today. Still at 40% MM but at 8300 miles.

I'm thinking 7500 or 6 months on YB and I should be fine.

I installed a quick release valve for the oil, so an oil change is about 10 mins. I really see no point going the entire 11-12k miles the MM would probably say. It is hard to believe the detergents will hold up that long after looking at most UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back