Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Test drive and get the one you like, not want bitog members think you should get.

Too late.

So there are only two CUV choices in the market now?

CR-V and CX-5 ?

NO Mention of Chevy? Really?

You guys are REALLY STUCK.

Off lease RX 350 and BMW X3 are worlds better vehicles for a similar cost.

As Grampi found moving up a step gets you big rewards.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
So there are only two CUV choices in the market now?

CR-V and CX-5 ?

NO Mention of Chevy? Really?

You guys are REALLY STUCK.

Off lease RX 350 and BMW X3 are worlds better vehicles for a similar cost.

As Grampi found moving up a step gets you big rewards.

You missed the thread title, he did not ask about which suv/cuv. He was interested in these two.

310 ft-lb? Yeepers. That is what my 4.6L makes! No wonder people claim a 4.6L Tundra is underpowered.

That's what got my attention, the torque comes on strong at such low RPMs...

I can honestly say I've never heard anybody call Honda's very well regarded K24 a dog. I mean it doesn't have a turbocharger bolted to it and doesn't make 300 ft-lbs of torque but a dog is a stretch at least by my definition of a motor that's a dog. Mind you I once owned a second generation Isuzu Trooper with a 2.6L 4 cylinder which was for at least one year the slowest 0-60 accelerating car or truck sold in the US as tested by C&D iirc.

Originally Posted by Jake_J
I can honestly say I've never heard anybody call Honda's very well regarded K24 a dog. I mean it doesn't have a turbocharger bolted to it and doesn't make 300 ft-lbs of torque but a dog is a stretch at least by my definition of a motor that's a dog. Mind you I once owned a second generation Isuzu Trooper with a 2.6L 4 cylinder which was for at least one year the slowest 0-60 accelerating car or truck sold in the US as tested by C&D iirc.

Maybe calling it a dog was a bit of an exaggeration, but our test drive was in the middle of a hot day, I floored it going up hill on a highway entrance ramp, and the A/C was on full blast, which is about the worst scenario for acceleration, but it did let my wife and I know that we felt it was under powered for us. The CX-9 is probably overkill for our style of driving, but I'd rather have the power there in case it's need than not have enough power...

I'm with ya on the all black interiors of Mazda vehicles. It is very rare in my area of 4 Mazda dealerships(Ontario, Marketplace, Ide & West Ridge) to find any Mazda vehicle that doesn't have a black interior. This is a deal breaker for me.

Mazda has Tan(actual Tan color) Cloth in lesser trim lines but, in the leather, their Parchment(off-white/egg shell) isn't Parchment at all like other manufactures Parchment(Tan/Beige). ATMOF, Mazda's brochures show their Parchment to be more TAN in color until you look at them on the dealer lots... It's off-white, egg shell or dove gray...whatever! I don't like it! And as the lighter color picks up denim waaaaay tooooo easily.

I do like the CR-V's ride/quiet better than Mazda's of that generation. Not that the CR-V of that generation is the quietest but, the Mazda is too loud for me. Today, both vehicles are about the same now in terms of their interior quiet as Mazda has addressed this issue with their new cars.

I've driven both of that generation of CR-V & CX-5 and found them equally quick but not fast. That gen(2012-16) of CR-V was changed in 2015 to the Earth Dreams 2.4L from the Accord and the CVT tranny which boosted HP & TQ figures from the other 2.4L. But, this change caused some weird vibrations in the CR-V.

Mazda did an early change(mid cycle refresh) and brought out the 2016 very early in 2015. There were also significant updates to the CX-5 for that year which were supposed to help with NVH and a slightly quieter interior. If you plan of carrying passenger in the rear. check that the CX-5 is comfortable enough as it's rear seats(the one that I tested) don't slide fore & aft like they do in the CR-V.

Yeah, the CX-5 may be the drivers CUV but, is this what you want(harsher ride/louder interior/less comfortable seats)?
This is what I found between these two vehicles.

I found the Rogue & Equinox to be more to my liking even if less reliable.

Last edited:
Grampi, I think you will be happy with your CX 9. I have a 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L turbo and it does get up and go pretty well for a vehicle of its size and weight. Of course I would like another 50 horsepower but I have been satisfied so far with the 250 HP I get with premium fuel.

By the way my CX 5 does have a pair of vents on the rear of the center console that blow back towards the rear seats. Maybe you missed them ?

Regarding the interior color, I was all set to buy the CX 5 Signature model but thought the dark brown leather (the only choice) was not a good match for most of the exterior colors and most importantly the black headliner made the car feel claustrophobic. I ended up with the dark metallic gray GT-Reserve model which has black leather seats and a light colored headliner. The factory tint on the rear door windows and hatch window does a pretty good job of remediating the effect of the sun on the interior. I also like the cooled seats option, on those days when temps are in the 90's it really helps keep your shirt from sticking to your back on those leather seats.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
By the way my CX 5 does have a pair of vents on the rear of the center console that blow back towards the rear seats. Maybe you missed them?

Mazda must have added those to the newer models. The 2017s we looked at definitely didn't have them...

Originally Posted by grampi
By the way my CX 5 does have a pair of vents on the rear of the center console that blow back towards the rear seats. Maybe you missed them?

Mazda must have added those to the newer models. The 2017s we looked at definitely didn't have them...

They were added for 2017.

There was a 2016.5 model with some updates. The touch screen was built into the dash unlike the 2017 onward which has it coming out of the top.

I'm trying to remember if the base model ‘17s had the rear vents.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by grampi

They were added for 2017.

There was a 2016.5 model with some updates. The touch screen was built into the dash unlike the 2017 onward which has it coming out of the top.

I'm trying to remember if the base model ‘17s had the rear vents.

I know for sure the 17s we looked at did not have them...

Originally Posted by PimTac
It must be the model trim then. My 2017 CX5 Grand Touring has them.

Yep...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I tried to edit the post with the pics, but it timed out before I could finish...here's what I did...

I started this detailing project with a good dousing of Simple Green in the engine bay. Rinsed with a garden hose (no high pressure hose used here). Finished off all of the plastic with Original Bike Spirits. Next I moved on to the exterior. Using the two bucket method, a MF sponge, and Turtle Wax Zip Wash, I'd wash a panel, then using a Mother's Speed 2.0 clay bar dipped in the washing solution, I'd go over the same panel again. You can really feel the drag on the clay bar while it's removing the contaminants, and then you can feel it glide over the surface once it's clean. The 2.0 is great for large flat surfaces, and shallow curves, but I really could have used just a piece of clay bar for the tight curves. Other than that, I really like the 2.0 clay bar. I did go over the wheels with the high pressure hose, which did a great job. All I had to do to them afterwards was wipe them down with the MF towels. Once the vehicle was washed, clay barred, and dried, I moved on to waxing. I was excited to try the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine for the first time. Everything I had heard about it was nothing but good reviews. I sprayed down a section of the hood and proceeded to wipe it down. To say I was disappointed with this stuff is an understatement. I didn't leave an even shine. It looked blotchy, and no amount of buffing would correct it. I'm glad it was only $8. I got out my trusty bottle of Collinite 845 and went to town! This is still my favorite wax/sealant. Once I was done applying the Collinite, I treated all of the outside glass with Rain-X. Next, all of the inside glass was cleaned using Sprayway and MF towels, and all inside panels treated with Original Bike Spirits, except for the dash. I just clean the dash and don't put any products on it. They just seem to add to the outgassing and ends up on the inside of the windshield, becoming more of a pain to clean off. I also used leather cleaner on the seats, though they pretty clean to start with. Of course the inside was vacuumed, and I pressure washed the floor mats. It was a two day job, but well worth the effort! BTW, the wife and I are really enjoying the CX-9!

Back