Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5?

Originally Posted by tc1446
Doesn't the CRV call for premium gas while the Ck-5 is regular?

No, both recommend 87

Originally Posted by buster
The only thing Honda has going for it is the 2.4L engine. Otherwise they are boring to drive. Go with the Mazda.

For 2020, no more 2.4. Only 1.5T.

Which leads me to believe the dilution issue has been resolved.

I believe the CR-V is bigger inside. But I don't know too much about the Mazda except people love 'em.
If I were buying, it would be a CR-V EXL Hybrid.
As others have said, you can't go wrong with either.

Both are pretty slow SUV's in that vintage. Pick what you like best.

Both lack low end grunt/torque off idle of a turbo engine which makes slow motors way more pleasant as daily drivers.

We didn't get either. We ended up getting a 2017 CX-9 Touring with 36K miles. All I can say is WOW! It's a dream to drive, and the 2.5 makes a surprising amount of torque...moves it right along at pretty much any RPM. We ended up getting the candy apple red exterior (I don't know what the actual name of the color is, so that's what I'm calling it), and it has beige or tan leather seats.The rest of the interior is black. I don't care for leather seats, but this was the only one we could find that didn't have an all-black interior, which we both despise. It just happened to also be our favorite exterior color. It has a 3rd row of seats, which we didn't really need, but the cargo space provided when they're folded down is more than ample. This vehicle seems to be very well built. When you close a door, it makes a solid "thud". The interior is very well laid out and classy looking. It ended up being about $4K more than we originally wanted to spend, but I figure it's worth it if you're getting something we both like and can keep for many years. The last Mazda we had we bought new and kept it for 13 years. I will post pics of it after I get it properly detailed. The dealership cleaned it up, but they don't know how, nor do they have the time to properly detail a vehicle...

We passed on the CR-V because the 2.4 is a dog, and there were problems with the pre-2019 1.5s. We never even drove a CX-5. We noticed it doesn't have any A/C vents for the rear seat passengers. We take our dog with us almost everywhere we go, and she's a Golden Doodle with a heavy black coat, so she needs air back there, especially in a vehicle with a black interior. There was a CX-9 parked next to the CX-5, and I noticed it not only had rear vents, but they had their own controls too (fan speed and temp). Next came a test drive, the rest is history...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Both are pretty slow SUV's in that vintage. Pick what you like best.

Both lack low end grunt/torque off idle of a turbo engine which makes slow motors way more pleasant as daily drivers.

I can't imagine the CX-5 being slow or lacking grunt with the 2.5. This is the same engine the CX-9 has, and it's considerably bigger, and it moves out! The 2.5 has plenty of power, especially low end grunt. That's why I can't figure out why the CR-V with the 2.4 is so doggy...it should have a lot more get up and go than it has...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Congrats. The CX9 is a great vehicle. Adding the turbo to the 2.5 really gives it some oomph.

I can imagine. It's got plenty without it!

No wonder the 2.5 pulls so hard...only 227 HP, but 310 ft lbs of torque...that's pretty stout for a N/A 2.5...

Originally Posted by grampi
No wonder the 2.5 pulls so hard...only 227 HP, but 310 ft lbs of torque...that's pretty stout for a N/A 2.5...

The 2.5L non turbo has less than 227 hp. 187 hp if IIRC.

@grampi, yes you got the Turbo this time around but initially you tried to avoid it
grin.gif

Grampi, CX-9 ONLY comes with 2.5 Turbo version. That is why you have such torque.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Grampi, CX-9 ONLY comes with 2.5 Turbo version. That is why you have such torque.

Yep. Makes 250hp on premium, same torque for both though.

Originally Posted by miden851
@grampi, yes you got the Turbo this time around but initially you tried to avoid it
grin.gif

I thought of that as well. I'm sure grampi will be happy with this turbo GDI.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by edyvw

Yep. Makes 250hp on premium, same torque for both though.

I didn't know that. No wonder it pulls so well...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by miden851
grin.gif

I thought of that as well. I'm sure grampi will be happy with this turbo GDI.

I was spell bound by all of that wonderful torque!

Back