Honda civic 1.5vtec 1998 from semisyth to full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, a friend of mine has the car mentioned on the title.It has 140.000miles and he has been using for the last 40.000miles Motul 10w40 with a consumption of 200ml every 8000miles...Is it okay to turn it to full syn Motul xcess 5w40?

yes xxW-40 is prefered here due to high temps...

Last edited:
In my Honda Civic i use now a lighter 5w30 Acea A5/B5 without a problem all year. I live in South Italy so same climate of Greece.
I choose the lighter oil allowed by Honda from my car. You should also give a reading to the manual of your Civic.

On the quick check I did on the Mobil site a 5w30 or 10w30 is only for up to 35oC.

Above that and you are looking at --w40.

Mobil recommend the usual 0w40 New Life Full Synth.

So I would think a 5w40 would be spot on.

I have never been to Greece but i suspect it gets hotter than 40oC on several days of the year.

I have never been a fan of running two different oils, one winter, one summer.

That is why multi grade oils were introduced.

I have heard nothing negative about Motul products.

How often does it get above 35oC in your area.

THere is nothing wrong with running 0w30 or 5w30.

My personal preference is to run a 0w40 or 5w40, if I needed to I would run 10w40.

But then I am more concerned with protection in all honesty.

I never recommend anything other than the safest option.

Call it risk averse.

Or maybe paranoid.

I would run Mobil New Life 0w40 in any vehicle that it meets the specs for without hesitation.

The wife's Clio returns 60mpg on it so it doesn't affect fuel economy, average on 10w40 Maxlife seems to be nearer the 57mpg mark.

All figures from the fuel computer which I reset once a month.

I am considering running 5w30 on that but that is specced on the later ones wih the same engine with a DPF.

Luckily high temps are rather rare in the UK.

Last edited:
temps in the summer can reach up to 45oC..
My friend has always been using xxW-40 so he is afraid to go to xxW-30..(may cause oil consumption)

With those temps go --w40 definately.

If that 5w40 meets the needs of the engine then I would certainly use it.

Due to the price of Mobil 1 New Life 0w40 at my local Costco, £30, that is what I would use.

I would not use a --w30 as I would consider it to be not up to the job in the summer so if you are part way through your oil change interval you would have to change it before summer which is a waste.

Running a good oil like a 5w40 or even 0w40 would allow you to use it all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back