Honda ATF-DW1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wing0
Did Honda change any design to the 5spd automatic since the problem in 2000-2001?

Yes. The transmissions were significantly improved through the years. In general, and depending on model, a 2004 or 2005 or later is a very safe bet. Some transmissions never seemed to have issues. The CR-V, for example, never seemed to be plagued with the issues that some other Hondas were.

The colored Consumer Reports bubbles correlated very well to the transmission design changes. The same model would go from straight black circles (poor) to either half red or full red circles (excellent), and that transition correlates with the transmission improvements. You can pretty easily see when each car got an improved design. It used to be more apparent, but as time goes on, some of the problem-prone years are dropping from CR's bubble charts, so it's harder to see the strong trends.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Did Honda change any design to the 5spd automatic since the problem in 2000-2001?

Yes. The transmissions were significantly improved through the years. In general, and depending on model, a 2004 or 2005 or later is a very safe bet. Some transmissions never seemed to have issues. The CR-V, for example, never seemed to be plagued with the issues that some other Hondas were.

The colored Consumer Reports bubbles correlated very well to the transmission design changes. The same model would go from straight black circles (poor) to either half red or full red circles (excellent), and that transition correlates with the transmission improvements. You can pretty easily see when each car got an improved design. It used to be more apparent, but as time goes on, some of the problem-prone years are dropping from CR's bubble charts, so it's harder to see the strong trends.

Fundamentally, they're still using this design instead of planetary gears like Aisin right?

Now that they have TLX with 9 speed auto box, is that also based off their own design?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Fundamentally, they're still using this design instead of planetary gears like Aisin right?

Now that they have TLX with 9 speed auto box, is that also based off their own design?

The new 9 speed is built by ZF. Not sure how much input Honda had into the actual design, but I believe it is a ZF design, with probably input by Honda for adaptation purposes only.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@Quakish:

Don't forget that Honda has distributors that are basically independent of each other. So Honda Canada, and American Honda can choose different products for their market this goes on around the world. Cost certainly is a factor, my feeling is that as long as the product does the job well, I don't care whether it is
synthetic or not, it meets OEM specs, and the cost for the dino formula is cheaper, my guess is that BOTH versions are made for
Honda by Idemitsu the OEM supplier to Honda.

Idemitsu makes Honda FLUIDS / Lubricants???

I thought Honda Oil was basically EXXON... ???

Originally Posted By: David1

Idemitsu makes Honda FLUIDS / Lubricants???

I thought Honda Oil was basically EXXON... ???

how did you come up with that one? this thread is about ATF, not all the other fluids that can go into your honda. Idemitsu makes the ATF. All the other stuff - who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back