Honda 2 Blown Engines, Very Sour Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: miden851
What's VCM anyway?

our CRV uses about 1qt each oil change interval at 5K with Mobil1; i'm keeping an eye on it

VCM = Variable Cylinder Management

I think the CRV only comes with 4-cyl engines correct? So, you should not have to worry at all about VCM specifically.

It was designed for larger engines so that the vehicle can disable certain cylinders to save on gas. My V6 would go down to 3 cylinder mode or 4 cylinder mode instead of 6. It's been revamped to work in only 3 or 6 now.

That oil consumption is still disturbing though. I don't care what people say oil consumption like that is not normal. Even consumer reports came out and said to demand a new engine if you exceed the 1qt/1000 mile in the manuals and that companies are just protecting their behind. And consumer report has credibility issues of their own lol. I still think it's pretty cool that they called all manufacturers out like that.

My V6 never burned a single drop of oil in 6 years until I noticed it this last Sunday. That's how it should be from day one. I can see a gradual consumption happening as the engine ages, but 1qt or more in 1000 is uncalled for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beastykato

My family has owned ... a Fusion,

I personally know of a Focus that has 240,000 miles on conventional oil changes all it's life,
and also know a Fusion that will be at 200,000 next month, also on just conventional SuperTech all it's life.

I'm sorry about your Honda loss....
But I seem to know a lot of Ford owners (including Tig1) that have had great luck with them.
I hope to get 300,000 plus miles from my F150 4.6

Originally Posted By: Linctex

My family has owned ... a Fusion,

I personally know of a Focus that has 240,000 miles on conventional oil changes all it's life,
and also know a Fusion that will be at 200,000 next month, also on just conventional SuperTech all it's life.

I'm sorry about your Honda loss....
But I seem to know a lot of Ford owners (including Tig1) that have had great luck with them.
I hope to get 300,000 plus miles from my F150 4.6

I gave my Fusion to my mom and she still runs it. Only 80k on it right now but it's also a 2012 if I recall correctly. No oil consumption now or when I had it. She only runs it short trips to work too.

I know a lot of guys with Fords. The only problems I see with them is the transmissions. My friends wife had a Fusion whose auto tranny started slipping. My friend Eric also has a 2014 Focus that went in 4 times for it's auto tranny. At least they fixed his issue though without hassle each time. He finally traded it in 2 weeks ago for a Hyundai.

I've never seen that issue myself on the trucks, only on the cars.

Originally Posted By: miden851
What's VCM anyway?

our CRV uses about 1qt each oil change interval at 5K with Mobil1; i'm keeping an eye on it

VCM = Variable Cylinder Management

I think the CRV only comes with 4-cyl engines correct? So, you should not have to worry at all about VCM specifically.

It was designed for larger engines so that the vehicle can disable certain cylinders to save on gas. My V6 would go down to 3 cylinder mode or 4 cylinder mode instead of 6. It's been revamped to work in only 3 or 6 now.

That oil consumption is still disturbing though. I don't care what people say oil consumption like that is not normal. Even consumer reports came out and said to demand a new engine if you exceed the 1qt/1000 mile in the manuals and that companies are just protecting their behind. And consumer report has credibility issues of their own lol. I still think it's pretty cool that they called all manufacturers out like that.

My V6 never burned a single drop of oil in 6 years until I noticed it this last Sunday. That's how it should be from day one. I can see a gradual consumption happening as the engine ages, but 1qt or more in 1000 is uncalled for.

+1
we were in the market for a possible new car such as RDX, but now I am baffled because apparently not much progress without a drawback has been made over the years

Are you guys still running the 0w-20 in yours or something else?

I'm definitely gonna disable the VCM for sure. I'm just worried that other pieces in the system were also damaged.

As far as I know I'm being given rings and plugs. However, the lawsuit also lists the pistons, long block, short block, valve stems, ignition coils, valve timing components. I have to question why it is I'm not being given all of the items. I'll definitely inquire when I hear back from the Honda corporate rep.

When you say you're on the updated VCM what version is that? My car supposedly had the "fixed" VCM when I bought it in 2012. VCM2. I'm gonna have to do a quick google search here and see if there is a VCM3. If it's still VCM2 then it's not fixed. I read on another forum that they are also using different rings on newer cars, but I can't confirm that.

My car has been on 0w20 its whole life so far and plan to keep it on 0w20. If you are asking me, my 2015 has a different system that Honda put in place on the 2013+ model.

This is my 2nd new Honda with a blown engine before 100k. Many people on here were supportive and just as many ridiculed me for being irresponsible when I posted here years ago about my R18 blowing up after being bone dry. I was young and dumb then and didn't keep receipts, but this time I came prepared and that experience has led me to keep every receipt I have gotten for my car. So, thankfully I was able to prove all my oil changes this time.

I just want my car to last and some reassurance from people who know what they are talking about that this engine will be fine after the VCM is turned off. The dealer claims the rings fix the issue entirely even with the VCM enabled. I don't believe that for a second.

^ this I think Honda with their VTEC, your VCM issue and even the new VTC, I still think they bring some energy to the game and I think it is positive now. now does that mean it has always been positive, nope, had a tranny go out prematurely but it was the V6 and I had to scratch that V6 itch . It's one of the reason that once done with that and free of that, I am a happy go lucky 1.5 turbo owner with the economy tuned small engine that probably costs honda 2 nickels to make, jest here.

Last edited:
"Mobil 1 has burnt off in both my Civic and Accord. "

What I read here is that you let the car basically run severely low on, and or out of oil because you didn't check often enough - twice.

Building an oil eater is the manufacturers problem - you letting it run out is yours.

UD

My SIL and daughter have hat two problem Hondas, a 2001 Odyssey and a 2012 Civic Hybrid.The Odyssey had sliding door problems that took a year of repeated visits to the dealer to resolve. They'd work on it over several days and give it back with nothing resolved until finally, they got it right after a year of trying. The Civic got nailed by a recall and software upgrade to protect the battery but it destroyed the mileage. She sold it quickly before the problem became well known. AT 115K miles the transmission in the Odyssey failed. They tried to get it rebuilt but the transmission shops were pessimistic about getting a good result for the cost involved. The cost at the dealer in effect would have totaled the van. That was to bad because it was a great mini-van until it stopped moving.

So, today they drive a new Mazda 6 and so far so good. One positive note, the dealer is pleasant to deal with and after a timing belt service they washed and vacuumed the car. From the Honda dealer, there was always dirty fingerprints and they often kept the vehicle longer than promised.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

"Mobil 1 has burnt off in both my Civic and Accord. "

What I read here is that you let the car basically run severely low on, and or out of oil because you didn't check often enough - twice.

Building an oil eater is the manufacturers problem - you letting it run out is yours.

UD

It's actually not my problem.

Seeing as it was a rapid burn off due to their defect.

You're the second person to make this type of comment toward me in this thread. I have a video of me pulling the dipstick on the side of the road.

My car was "low" in the sense that it was not at the top line where I put it. It was still between the hashmarks on the low end of the dipstick.

You can criticize me all day fact is the car was still within it's range and I took video of it simply because of this and the previous experience I had.

Last edited:
Are you guys still running the 0w-20 in yours or something else?

I'm definitely gonna disable the VCM for sure. I'm just worried that other pieces in the system were also damaged.

As far as I know I'm being given rings and plugs. However, the lawsuit also lists the pistons, long block, short block, valve stems, ignition coils, valve timing components. I have to question why it is I'm not being given all of the items. I'll definitely inquire when I hear back from the Honda corporate rep.

When you say you're on the updated VCM what version is that? My car supposedly had the "fixed" VCM when I bought it in 2012. VCM2. I'm gonna have to do a quick google search here and see if there is a VCM3. If it's still VCM2 then it's not fixed. I read on another forum that they are also using different rings on newer cars, but I can't confirm that.

We pull the heads and inspect the motor to see what it needs, we have to submit photos to Honda. If there is no damage to the cylinder liners, then it is just pistons and rings. I doubt they replaced just the rings.

Sorry, I'm ticked off and left out some details. The J35Z2 is the engine I believe. I was typing so fast and didn't even realize I left out what actually happened to the V6. I was driving and it misfired and rapidly flashed check engine light. I immediately pulled over and checked fluids. It burned off some of the oil, but was still within normal spec. I had it towed to the dealer under warranty. Customer service on all ends has been awful.

Yes, everything is perfect for oil and filters. Warranty claim is being covered because they have already been sued over this issue and it affects every single Honda V6 with VCM across Accord, Odyssey, Pilot. I have every single receipt kept and proved it all to them after having an experience with my R18 Civic blowing up in 2012. That car was replaced with this Accord... which now also blew up (not technically but the rings are toast, I'm being dramatic). I'm still fighting with them to provide me a rental for their manufacturing defect though, even though my car is under warranty.

Of course, I get the immature responses about running low on oil. No [censored] @Lotl. Actually, my oil wasn't "low" on my Accord it was just barely above the low line. The oil blew past the ring because the engine is known to be faulty due to the VCM. Thanks for the mature response though. And how come all the other vehicles in my care aren't low on oil? Gimme a break.

Sorry, you are being quite dramatic here.

What actually happened? Just a check engine light? What do you mean by the engine is "blown"? Should not have gotten a light if it was only 1 L down.

How many km did it take to get 1L down? Sounds like normal oil consumption to me. Normal to burn about 1L/5000 km.

All cars burn oil, and with the longer oil change intervals now, it will require topping off between oil changes. It is not specifically VCM that does this. We see the same thing on engines whether they have VCM or not.

Last edited:
My family has owned Hondas for over 20 years. The quality and service has been getting progressively worse.

My experience has been if you get a good one, it is usually good for a long time. If you get a bad one and have problems while still under warranty, may the force be with you and the odds forever be in your favor. The two dealerships near me are some of the most arrogant people I have ever met in my life. Honda these days seems to be banking on their reputation to sell their cars, but that will only last for so long as quality suffers.

To be fair I've known many people who have good success with their products, but not as many with the newer models, and those who have issues seemed to really get burned.

Seems Toyota is the same way also. Most of them are good, but if you have a problem they tell you to pound sand.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
VCM is over-complicated trash. After you get the car back, check the oil frequently and change it every 5k miles (forget the MM). Definitely get a Muzzler. My Pilot's had one since 20k miles and drives much better.

Yep, people need to install muzzler the first week of ownership.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Sorry, I'm ticked off and left out some details. The J35Z2 is the engine I believe. I was typing so fast and didn't even realize I left out what actually happened to the V6. I was driving and it misfired and rapidly flashed check engine light. I immediately pulled over and checked fluids. It burned off some of the oil, but was still within normal spec. I had it towed to the dealer under warranty. Customer service on all ends has been awful.

Yes, everything is perfect for oil and filters. Warranty claim is being covered because they have already been sued over this issue and it affects every single Honda V6 with VCM across Accord, Odyssey, Pilot. I have every single receipt kept and proved it all to them after having an experience with my R18 Civic blowing up in 2012. That car was replaced with this Accord... which now also blew up (not technically but the rings are toast, I'm being dramatic). I'm still fighting with them to provide me a rental for their manufacturing defect though, even though my car is under warranty.

Of course, I get the immature responses about running low on oil. No [censored] @Lotl. Actually, my oil wasn't "low" on my Accord it was just barely above the low line. The oil blew past the ring because the engine is known to be faulty due to the VCM. Thanks for the mature response though. And how come all the other vehicles in my care aren't low on oil? Gimme a break.

Sorry, you are being quite dramatic here.

What actually happened? Just a check engine light? What do you mean by the engine is "blown"? Should not have gotten a light if it was only 1 L down.

How many km did it take to get 1L down? Sounds like normal oil consumption to me. Normal to burn about 1L/5000 km.

All cars burn oil, and with the longer oil change intervals now, it will require topping off between oil changes. It is not specifically VCM that does this. We see the same thing on engines whether they have VCM or not.

I understand that you think that amount of oil usage is normal. However, I completely disagree with you.

I've had this car since it had 3 miles on. I've done every single oil change of the vehicle now for 6 years. I even change my tranny fluid EVERY oil change. It requires a 3x drain and fill so I do a 1x drain and fill every oil change instead of doing it all at once. For 90000 miles I've not burned any oil and all of a sudden I lose a ~quart? If my car had a history of this oil consumption I could see your point. The way it seems to me the damage being done from the VCM got to the point that this consumption began to occur more rapidly. I'm not a mechanic though, but I do have some common sense.

An exact account of the incident is this:

Left home for work, I got on the highway and drove for a short time (~5 minutes) and then while cruising at 70-80mph the car suddenly shook and the engine light began to flash rapidly when I could see the toll booth in the distance. I was approaching the toll booth and continued to drive slowly thru it seeing if it would stop. I went thru the toll booth and pulled my manual from the glove box and pulled my car over and shut it down. When stopped the engine shake became much more noticeable. I called HondaCare and went out and checked my fluids. I did everything by the book, shut the car down within a couple minutes of the engine light coming on, etc. If my car had arrived at the dealer low on oil I'm sure they would have tried to blame me for the incident.

I was being dramatic I was infuriated with my treatment from Honda and was angry and ticked off. Me saying the engine "blew" was definitely overdramatic. The engine was misfiring and the dealer told me that the rings were bad. The dealer gave me a rental ... Finally only after me flipping out and making them call HondaCare. HondaCare instructed me that I was indeed correct the whole time and should have been given a rental as soon as the problem was identified.

The dealer insisted they were just following Honda's policy in regards to the service bulletin released.

Meanwhile, 3 days since the incident and Honda still doesn't even have an agent assigned to my case number. And I've received no help from them at all. If I had not taken matters into my own hands I'd be sitting here with no vehicle.

I don't blame the dealer or Hondacare. If I'm being told the truth on all ends this problem roots back to Honda. As HondaCare was behind me from the get-go and the dealer claims to be following Honda's rules.

EDIT: And to be fair in this. I own a Honda dirtbike, a pressure washer, a lawn mower, a Ridgeline, and my Accord. I've owned Fords, Chevy, Pontiac, a Corolla and the R18 Civic. I became a Honda fanboy, but the only engine I've ever had fail in my life has been a Honda.

My ridgeline does not have the VCM, but then again it only has 50k miles on it. So, I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm not trying to portray Honda as the worst vehicle on earth. This 2012 Accord, I thought, was going be the best vehicle I've ever had. I have not had a single issue with hit at all. No creaks, no rattles, windows work, completely flawless operation up until this.

My experience though is that the 2 vehicles I've had have operated great up until they had a catastrophic failure that left my engine inoperable. That's my experience.

Last edited:
We own a 2012 Honda Odyssey that had the same problem with VCM causing a misfire code. The Honda Dealership stepped up and replaced the pistons and rings per TSB (I know i was in shock) even giving us a rental at no cost while Van being worked on. As soon as I got Van back I installed a VCM Muzzler, much smoother. VCM only comes on in summer when in town and doing stop n go. Will never buy another vehicle with any form of Variable Cylinder Management. We have had NO high oil usage even when VCM was active. Did have a oil level sensor croak and was pain to replace (150$ for the freaking sensor alone).

1) Disable VCM with VCMuzzler or some other device
2) PCV change when B3 comes up (or 30k if you want to follow the odometer)

Optional 3) Oil change when minder reaches 60% and 5%. Or if you let it run the full minder cycle and only change until it reaches 15%, 5%, or 0%, you need to check the oil level often.

Last edited:

It's actually not my problem.

Seeing as it was a rapid burn off due to their defect.

You're the second person to make this type of comment toward me in this thread. I have a video of me pulling the dipstick on the side of the road.

My car was "low" in the sense that it was not at the top line where I put it. It was still between the hashmarks on the low end of the dipstick.

You can criticize me all day fact is the car was still within it's range and I took video of it simply because of this and the previous experience I had.

Allowing it to run low is really not such a big deal. Lets say thats part you part honda.

You said your first one ran dry - that is your problem.

My ridgeline ate oil horrendously the first 1K - top to bottom of hash in 1K or its first 2 full days driving. (lucky me its slowed considerably)

IF I let it run out, or low its my problem. Even if I have to check every fill up its still my responsibility.

We'll agree to disagree on who has to maintain level.

one thing seems certain - newer Hondas seem to be oil burners and or have a lot of complaints.

UD

Last edited:
I don't want to disagree with ya on owner responsibility. I do agree that it is your responsibility to keep fluids in your vehicle and account for normal levels of consumption.

Where I disagree is when abnormal oil consumption comes in and it runs low. I do not believe the owner is responsible for that. I think these companies are being given to much forgiveness and passing blame onto the consumer.

Even in my R18. It ran fine, burned no oil, until one day where it did. I was young then as I said and didn't keep my receipts. So, a tough lesson learned back then, and admittedly partially my fault... possibly. I can't say for sure because Honda never came to a conclusion in that case. The mechanics said my R18 was spotless inside and looked well cared for, but they could not find anything conclusive on how the oil burnt off.

I did find out though, from a little digging around on past posts in this forum, that this court case actually did originally include their 4-cyl engines as well. The 2nd plaintiff in the case was apparently paid off. The lawyers then changed the case from being listed as "excessive oil consumption" to "misfiring", which allowed them to narrow the case down to specific engines and trouble codes to limit their liability. All of this is apparently disclosed in the court documentation, but I have not dug through the whole thing yet for myself.

The more I read the more I hate them since it applies to my car. Of course, my car is currently being "fixed" for free, and it should be back on the road. And I know that every other company foreign or domestic would have done the same thing to protect their bottom-line. If it were me and my business I would have done the same. What I don't understand is how the domestic companies get bashed with front page news on these issues, but Honda has kept this so hush hush.

If I'm gonna have to buy a case of oil to keep in my trunk every 1000 miles I'll just go buy an RX-7/8
wink.gif

EDIT: Like your Ridgeline. That's absolutely ridiculous. I do not think you should be responsible for that. An entire quart of oil in the first 2 days of use on what I assume was a brand new vehicle?

Last edited:
Deactivating cylinders: Because the 1981 Cadillac V-8-6-4 engine was such a brilliant success.

I will ask the local Acura dealer if I can get a great deal on a V-6 RDX, since it only runs on 3 or 4 cylinders when it wants to.

Kidding. No thanks. I would sacrifice any intermittent potential one mile per gallon increase, and I would keep the reliability, equipment durability, and performance of running all included cylinders, all the time.

An unfortunate CAFE/EPA consequence. Great engine otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back