Homeowner chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using a Poulan 3314 for the last 8 years. I've had to replace the bar and fuel lines last year. And get a tool to adjust the carb.

Best thing to do is get a different chain and it cuts great. Starts easy.

Several years ago, I was given a TSC gift card. I didn't really need anything from there, but was tempted by the new Jonsereds saws.

I almost got the CS2238, until I read online it's a red Poulan. Same with the CS2240.

I'm not sure what these models cross over into with Husqvarna (435 and 440? 235 and 240?).... but the 45cc is the real Swedish deal. I did get the CS2245 and have been very pleased with it. Excellent power, medium weight, EXTREMELY fuel efficient (strato-charge engine). The oil tank runs out before the fuel tank does, so I have to be mindful to never fill the fuel tank all the way. I've got about 150 hours on mine now, but I still pick up the Ryobi first anymore.

I hear mixed things about the "homeowner level" of Stihls, and some of it is not good. When it comes to Stihl you DEFINITELY get what you pay for. I've never had a "cheap" one, all of mine were well over $400 new.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Skip the Husky 240, it's an overgrown (heavy) Poulan.

Get a 435 or better yet, a 440. They are the latest Strato engine technology, run at high RPM, are light and really rip. The only difference between the two powerheads is the compression ratio is higher on the 440, taking it from the 435's 2.2HP to 2.4HP.

I have a 435 with a 16" bar on it. I'd like to get a 440 and take off the silly 20" bar and put the 16" on it. But I'm getting along fine with the 435. A week ago I dropped a 50' Poplar, 14" trunk and had it limbed and bucked in one afternoon. The main limitation was me taking breaks for heat. I had to change the chain once, but the old chain had dropped, limbed and bucked a larger oak since the last sharpening.

If you really want your chainsaws to perform, learn to hand sharpen with a round and flat file. Then you'll really make noodles, instead of sawdust. It takes me about 15 minutes to sharpen a 16" chain, soup to nuts, taking my time.

I'll add a vote for the 440. I bought one about a month ago for cutting firewood for camping. I took down a decent sized pine (20"-ish diameter at the base) and cut it into two pickup box loads of rounds. Not a hiccup so far, and seems like a good balance of weight and power.

For occasional trimming and small jobs, consider a battery cordless chainsaw. It's always ready to go without having to worry about spoiled fuel problems. I have a battery Stihl chainsaw and pole saw and rarely have to fire up the old gas Homelite.

Buy the Stihl. Good dealer network and parts availability. Use the Stihl silver bottle 2 stroke oil or Amsoil Sabre. Run premium high octane fuel. Buy yourself an electric chain sharpener from Harbor Freight. I have owned Stihl saws for decades. Durable and reliable chainsaws. Keep the chain sharp and that MS 170 will cut right through any tree.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Looking at buying a good small 16" homeowner grade chainsaw. Looking at the stihl MS170 and Husqvarna 240. Both cost about $200. Suggestions? It will be used for trimming of limbs and trees around the yard.

For about the same money , I'd give the MS 180 some serious consideration .

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I have a MS170, it is a fine saw for trimming limbs around the yard.

Thank you for the vid. These were basically the 4 I was looking at. May look into the MS180 and the husky 435/440's as well.

I run the Husky 445 with an 18" bar. Love it except one thing: no grease port to directly grease/oil the clutch bearing. You either have to drip/direct oil to it through the clutch and drum or remove the clutch to pack the bearing.

Otherwise, its a Swedish built model, has plenty of power to drop the odd tree yet light enough to swing around and do some limbing. I really like the snap on cover to access the quick disconnect air filter and plug. It uses the single switch for run/choke/off. It starts easy and can really sing when opened up.

I like the 18" bar when doing bush work as it gives me some length of reach. I am looking at getting a 16" solely for limbing.

I bought it at the dealer and had them set it up and tune it before I brought in home.

I went looking around today and ended up with a Stihl MS170. I looked at the MS180c-BE with the easy start, but I didn't think it was worth $70 more for my intended use. They did not have a regular ms180.

I bought the saw from a local family owned dealer and service was great. They ran tested the brand new saw and were very thorough with showing me it's features and specs without being insulting before letting me pay. I'm happy with the saw and very happy with the service. I bought the 6 pack of syn 2 cycle oil for $12 to get the extended warranty.

I have a couple small trees and a large limb to drop. I'm looking forward to putting it to work.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're off to a great start! Buying local is great and $12 for a warranty is a good idea, just wondering how long that warranty runs?

A few tips:
Either find E-Free gas, or drain it and run it empty after each use.
Chain has to be a little loose to cut properly (but not too loose)
Have a spare chain handy, chains get dull at the most inconvenient moments.

Get yourself one of these:
https://www.shforestrysupplies.com/advancedwebpage.aspx?cg=2427&cd=5&SBCatPage=

I had to show my local Stihl dealer a pic in order for them to track it down and order one for me. When I picked it up, they said "That's a really cool tool we just ordered a bunch". For some reason it's never made it onto their website.

Congrats on the new saw. Hope it does what you want from it.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I bought the saw from a local family owned dealer and service was great. They ran tested the brand new saw and were very thorough with showing me it's features and specs without being insulting before letting me pay. I'm happy with the saw and very happy with the service. I bought the 6 pack of syn 2 cycle oil for $12 to get the extended warranty.

This is one of the coolest things about buying a Stihl over all the other brands. And it is one of the reasons you will never see a Stihl at a big box store. Every Stihl dealer is required to offer the customer training, including first startup with every purchase. If they do it the way it is supposed to be done, the store employee demonstrates how to adjust and start it. then they are to have the customer do the same procedure. It really is cool.

You should never walk out of a store with a Stihl in the box, unadjusted and without knowing that it will start the first time.

I hope you enjoy it, I just bought a Makita 64cc saw on EBAY. I see a bigbore kit in it's future as I already have a 63cc Stihl.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
You should never walk out of a store with a Stihl in the box, unadjusted and without knowing that it will start the first time.

You're entirely correct... and the local John Deere & Stihl dealer will let you do exactly that, unless you pay them $25 extra for prep, bar install and gas.

The local Kubota & Stihl dealer does all that without any $25 fee. Guess which one gets my business?

How is the new saw working for you? My new/used Makita came yesterday. I cleaned it up and got it running today. I bought it as non-running on ebay. I think that I am going to be happy with it. I just have to get used to a saw with a rev limiter.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Sounds like you're off to a great start! Buying local is great and $12 for a warranty is a good idea, just wondering how long that warranty runs?

A few tips:
Either find E-Free gas, or drain it and run it empty after each use.
Chain has to be a little loose to cut properly (but not too loose)
Have a spare chain handy, chains get dull at the most inconvenient moments.

Get yourself one of these:
https://www.shforestrysupplies.com/advancedwebpage.aspx?cg=2427&cd=5&SBCatPage=

I had to show my local Stihl dealer a pic in order for them to track it down and order one for me. When I picked it up, they said "That's a really cool tool we just ordered a bunch". For some reason it's never made it onto their website.

Good advice here.

For occasional use but the Stihl or big box store (Tri fuel) premix gas. It's canned, pure gas , stabilized and oil added already. Great for just a tank or partial once in a while.

Get a sharpening tool, only using occasionally you won't benefit from an electric bench too one and will loose the touch of doing it by hand with a simple file set. Stihl makes a couple filing kits that make it nearly foolproof. Get good bar oil too, used motor oil is not your saws friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back