Would you try to rebuild a 1970's Pioneer Chainsaw ??

Weekend at the family cottage, I had to do some chainsaw work, no problemo. This cottage will transition to my wife's ownership at some point...my FIL is 89 and he just had a TIA that has stopped his driving for at least 30 days. So back to topic, the cottage has 2 chainsaws, a Husqvarna 55 that works and a non-working Pioneer from the 1970's. I once got the Pioneer out of storage 3 years ago but it wouldn't start after much effort.

My wife, who has never used a chainsaw and is not good with any kind of powertool suggested as we were driving home that I investigate repair of the old Pioneer so that we could have 2 options at the cottage. I said that I wasn't interested in the effort and having one working gasoline (oil & gas) was sufficient and that a second saw could be electric. She wouldn't let it go until I exploded at her and told her to forget it. Archie Bunker would have handled it just the same. EDITH STIFFLE !!

What's the expert opinion? Am I correct that there would be big problems finding parts and the effort if my $$/hour for my personal time was calculated that a brand new Stihl or Oregon would end up being cheaper?

It all depends on what's wrong and if you know the part #'s so you can search eBay for new old stock to see if it's even possible to repair.

Would make a great YouTube restoration video if you are into that.

My guess off hand would be the points are corroded. Carb parts will most likely be available. Depending on the model parts could be plentiful. There are people out there that love to collect saws so it does have value. Lots of info out there on old saws also.

You could restore it, as a conversation piece. But to actually use, i would not. Lighter more dependable saws for regular use. IIRC they are loud!

As a kid, i ran a homelight XL-7 . Modern saws are anti-vibration, quieter and much easier to handle.

Is it a manual oiler ?

for safety I would disable it. Make it a wall piece. any chainsaw with no kick brake should not be used.

I would try to restore the old saw as long as it makes economic sense and it would make a fun project.

I have restored three chain saws from the 70's. Two of which were gotten operational by passing some emory cloth between the point's contacts a few times. If the saw has sat idle all these years with its points open. they will corrode and create a no spark condition.

To all who are saying to restore and sell or just sell... Probably not a real option as most likely the reason his wife was so insistent is for sentimental reasons.

OP - either try to make it run to placate your fairer half or clean it up good and place it in a visible place.

The older chain saws are heavier than modern and may use 25:1 gas to oil meaning you will have a cloud of smoke around you when using the chainsaw.

And cordless is worth considering, especially for small stuff.

When using a chain saw you really don't want to get fatigued by a heavy chain saw.

Now if it's a heirloom then maybe. But not to use.

The older chain saws are heavier than modern and may use 25:1 gas to oil meaning you will have a cloud of smoke around you when using the chainsaw.

And cordless is worth considering, especially for small stuff.

When using a chain saw you really don't want to get fatigued by a heavy chain saw.

Now if it's a heirloom then maybe. But not to use.
I never have a cloud of smoke with my old 70's chainsaws. One must learn how to properly mix gas and oil.

There's nothing wrong using an old saw if the user knows what they are doing and take the needed safety precautions.

Back