Holy Purolator Flip Flop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possum328:

I wasn't referring to you specifically, I was making a general observation about a lot of the personally directed comments, yours were pretty tame but some others were not, and the mods and site owner are incredibly strict about locking threads when personal attacks start being thrown around. So I was hoping that we could get that element out of the thread so it isn't locked or deleted.

What do I know for a fact is that my response to 'another poster's' comment is entirely accurate. This thread has yet to post pics of said tear(s), thus the crickets. What is does have is sensational title and mad emoticon. Again entirely accurate. And as I didn't post the thread starter, and my response was to another poster regarding the alleged tears, it is entirely appropriate.

Otoh, you do seem overly defensive regarding your own verbiage used here. And whether pics are ever posted or not, it isn't a disappointment to me either way.

Originally Posted By: possum328
I have not been able to post pics - so sorry to disappoint you.

After all of this........

Why on earth have you not posted pics??

It takes 10 minutes or less! Send them to a Member to post or post them!

Please!

I don't have a dog in this fight but I have personally observed tears in the media of a used Purolator filter removed from my vehicle, posted on here on BITOG. I have made the decision not to use anymore Purolator filters until I feel comfortable that this issue has been addressed. I went and bought several new Purolators and cut them open and posted the results here on BITOG (both looked fine with no obvious problems). Unfortunately, not being a techy, I deleted the pictures from Photobook which in turn deleted them from my posts. I couldn't have posted any pictures without the help from my son since I did not know how. Which leads me to a pet peeve of mine

Just because I post on a forum doesn't make me an internet expert. I didn't even know what an internet forum was, or why you would want to visit one, until, again, my son introduced me to them. He certainly opened up my eyes to the potential of expanding my knowledge on sites like this. When I graduated high school a computer, digital watch or a calculator was something I might see in a black and white Sci-Fi movie. Some of us just aren't as sharp as others in a tech driven society. So please lighten up a little. Something that seems technically mundane to some might be over-whelming to others like me.

That's why I also said... send them to a member.
smile.gif

Here is a basic, step-by-step way to post pictures too:

1) Go to tinypic.com
2) Click "Choose File"
3) Double click on the pic wanted
4) At "Resize:" I choose "Message Board 640x480"
5) Click on "Upload Now"
6) Copy the Message board text
7) Paste the text here on this thread.

No more reasons not to post pics.
thumbsup2.gif

I just spent MORE TIME typing this in that what it takes to post a picture!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That right there is a no-no. If someone PMs you with personal attacks and rudeness, just report it to Helen or one of the moderators and they will be dealt with appropriately.

I did not PM him.

Quote:
Mr WD seems to be crossing the lines here. He really needs to take a chill pill on this or he's going to find himself on "vacation".

Don't threaten me.

So you're calling him a lair?
Evidence You Did

And that wasn't' a "threat" about a vacation because I can't personally give you one. It was a friendly general warning that you will get one from one of the moderators or the board owner if you cross certain lines here.

Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
Personally I think the damage from all this bad publicity is probably punishment enough.

Damage from bad publicity????

A couple thousand guys on BITOG swearing off Purolator isn't going to affect Purolator's sales numbers.

Joe Sixpack is unaware of the "media tear debacle" and is wondering if Pennzoil will still leave a parrafinic wax build up in their pickup's engine.

Agree with the above.

Spread the concern to other automotive forums and Purolator will act quicker and communicate more fully.

Now with Pics!
2nbv9fc.jpg

25a4ys5.jpg

289ed0m.jpg

mh6bms.jpg

Top =Classic
Middle =P1
Bottom=Classic

Sorry for the delay and the consternation it caused :). Many thanks to Turk for the quick tinypic tutorial.

Last edited:
On the Classic (1st and 3rd photo down), it looks like the two pleats next to the seam basically collapsed flat straight inward. Of course, the ends of the pleats are glued in a wide V-shape, so they can't move thereby causing stress and tears near the pleat base.

Tighter pleat spacing and less V-spread at the pleat ends would prevent this failure.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
Agree with the above.

Spread the concern to other automotive forums and Purolator will act quicker and communicate more fully.

I was already spreading the word myself before registering here. Anyone who believes word of mouth is of no consequence in the age of information and online user reviews, was probably born a long time ago, no offense toward age. Yes, the immediate effect won't be dramatic, but the long term harm will not be trivial. People who care what they use, will quickly identify bad reviews and eventually it filters down.

If Purolator are interested, figuring out the reason for variable pleat spacing would be relatively easy to fix.

The problem is, if they explicitly tell us that they've fixed the problem, then by definition, they've admitted the problem existed and that there are substandard filters out there that should be recalled.

If the problem is incapable of being traced to batches / dates, then they'd have to recall a lot! This is the problem that GM have with the ignitions. They have to check every vehicle and some won't have the faulty part.

Lastly, you may recall that Mann took over Purolator a year ago. I wonder / hope that this may be the driver for the inkling of evidence that they have looked at the problem.

Does the PureOne have a narrow "V" on the two pleats next to the metal crimp?

Yes, interested in knowing the pleat arrangement of the P1. Possum, can you get a close in picture of the glued ends of the pleats immediately adjacent to the seam?

From what I can make out on the "frontal" side view, it seems the P1 pleating is indeed poor, but apparently it didn't tear, so some combo of service conditions and media type/properties kept it together.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TriboGeek
Does the PureOne have a narrow "V" on the two pleats next to the metal crimp?

Yes, interested in knowing the pleat arrangement of the P1. Possum, can you get a close in picture of the glued ends of the pleats immediately adjacent to the seam?

From what I can make out on the "frontal" side view, it seems the P1 pleating is indeed poor, but apparently it didn't tear, so some combo of service conditions and media type/properties kept it together.

The media in the PureOne may different enough to give it more resistance to a certain degree from tearing even if the pleats are wide and the V-spread is pretty large.

It's the combination of the pleat configuration, the media composition and the use factors seen by the filter. Add those factors up in the wrong direction to a certain degree and the media lets go.

It's hard to see in the pics but the P1 in the photos has the exact same tears as the Classic.

Yes, it also seems to happen to PureOnes. But it doesn't seem to be as prevalent, which could be because the media is harder to tear. What I'm trying to say above is that if you had a Classic and a PureOne, and they both had the same exact pleat spacing and V-spread and where used in the same exact conditions on the car, it's possible the Classic would tear and the Purolator would not. In that case, the PureOne would have to be subjected to even more extreme use conditions to make the media finally tear.

It just seems there is a little more headroom in a PureOne before tears may occur vs. the Classic, and if so it's most likely because the media just doesn't tear quite as easily ... it's more resilient to stress and tearing.

Just serviced the signature vehicles and completed oil filter autopsy... The P1 off the Suburban looked good.....

It's hard to see in the pics but the P1 in the photos has the exact same tears as the Classic.

So which is it? "Looked good" or "exact same tears"? Because if same tears looks like the only flip flop is one you're producing.

Oh, OK. The opening post didn't mention that so I had assumed otherwise.

The failed P1 and Classic both came off the Kia. The good P1 was off my Suburban. The flip flop was that I thought the problems were with the P1s only, and was surprised when the classic was bad.

P1
29qm6io.jpg

29bfrie.jpg

9vialx.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back