FVP R1334A and the aftermath of a failed engine

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I wonder if cavitation would create an air pocket and pop that filter like a balloon? Seems logical.

Cavitation really only happens where there are large drops in pressure, like the intake side of the oil pump, or inside a journal bearing. Highly doubt there is any oil cavitation inside an oil filter.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I know that, the cavitation at the pump moving air into the filter.

A very small amount of air (if the pump did cause cavitation) going through the filter isn't going to tear it. It's the large delta-p caused by the oil flowing through the media that puts the stress on the pleats. That especially happens when the oil is cold and thick, and if someone revs the engine up high before the oil fully warms up. Same mechanism that causes pleats to tear on other filter with wide pleat spacing.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by RamFan
Two torn pleats will not cause a dead engine.

Are we saying the filter is what caused the condition of the engine? Or are we saying that this is what the filter looked like after being installed on a dead engine?

I take it as the latter.

As will I.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle

Yes, that's why I asked if it was the original owner. Kia/Hyundai is so bad about aftermarket filters that just using the FVP would probably have voided the warranty anyway.

They have no legal standing to void the warranty based on an aftermarket oil filter. The TSB only says they don't cover damage caused by aftermarket filters, which applies to every vehicle manufacturer.

I strongly suspect this vehicle suffered a history of neglect before this oil change. One 9K OCI isn't going to kill an engine even on conventional oil and cheap filters.

Sticker said 5w20, and it was full on the stick, so not quite 4 quarts came out. Also, +1 on the neglect, the owner alluded to that a little in talking to him, and the inside of the engine was pretty sludged up in addition to the obvious problems. Finally, the filter was installed on the engine when the vehicle came in, and was removed when we drained the oil to return the core.

Back