Hign Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra with 106, 789 miles on it. I switched to 5w-20/30w full synthrtic motor oil about a year ago, car seens to run much better. Two months ago had a new timing belt, water pump and pulley put in by authorized mechanic shop. Now about a week and a half ago I checked the oil and it was about a 1 1/2 qt down, filled, checked yesterday about 1/2 qt down. It does not blow any snoke out exhaust, checked all over see no leaks, nothing under car on ground. I was thinking about putting in 5w-30w full synthetic motor oil High Mileage oil in, heard it can seal rings, etc. Also will pull spark plugs to see if there is [censored] all over them, Also there is no oil mixed in with the Anti Freeze, or Anti Freeze in the oil, the radiator cap is clean underneath, and just reversed flushed collant system few day ago, looked just fine (do it every two years). Anybody have any deas, suggestions. Thanks a lot. Fred J. [email protected]

The technician may have accidently disconnected and forgot to reconnect something related to the pcv or breather. I would get a new OEM valve anyway. Check the crankcase breather, filter(if any) and its plumbing. I doubt all of the sudden your rings stuck, so don't get excited about a high mileage oil.

Last edited:
Assume that the technician did everything correctly... There are a lot of hoses that can crack when manipulated after 10 years, so take a quick look (it might be hard to see anything with the engine cover on).

My 2001 Sonata V6 manual suggests that in higher ambient temperatures to use 5W30 or even 10W40 oil.
I have 150k miles on it and is not using more that 1/2 qt at 4000-5000 miles (oil change).
I use in it Shell Rotella T6 (5W40) now.

Last edited:
We are assuming you are always checking oil correctly...on level surface and after oil has had time to drain back into the crankcase. Keep in mind that cold oil drains back much slower,so if cold engine is started and then shut off to check oil, it will look low on the stick until it all drains back down into the sump. That could take a while on a cold day.

The use of high mileage oil is drastically reducing consumption in my 2009 Grand Caravan. I wouls start with Mobil Super HM for a 3k-5k OCI or use Mobil1 synthetic HM for a longer OCI. You have nothing to loose by using a high mileage oil and everything to gain.

How much do you drive? If you've only done 106k miles in 10-11 years then I would change the oil with Valvoline MaxLife your choice part synthetic or full synthetic and change every 6 months or 5,000 miles and keep an eye on the level.

And as said above make sure the PCV system is working good, sometimes the rubber hoses for it dry out and have holes in the hoses or something is disconnected, change the valve anyways (only like $5-$10 for a new one).

It's very important you check oil on a perfectly level surface, some cars the level is really inaccurate with a slightly off level surface. Check it at least 3 hours after the engine has been off.

It may not smoke when you are letting it idle and standing behind it. But, it may puff when you just start it, when going into reverse, or when you accelerate and not notice since you are inside the car.b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back