High RPMs...thick or thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when is 3500 revs considered "high RPM" (except for a diesel)?
21.gif

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Don't know about Europe but Castrol has the acea A3 recommendation for the 2gr fks. They recomend this oil first. https://www.castrol.com/en_au/austr...e/edge-product-page/edge-5w-30-a3b4.html

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

TOYOTA
Kluger, 2GR-FKS Eng., 8-Spd. Automatic, 4x4 (2016-2018

Mobil1 recommends Mobil1 ESP 5W30. So, ACEA C3.

Yeah, but since when do we treat Mobil 1 and Castrol websites as official oil recommendations? As I said, Toyota only uses ILSAC/API for their gasoline engines. C3 is also mid-SAPS like ILSAC/API -- that's why Castrol and Mobil 1 may recommend it. Chances are that the oil is also certified for SN; so, whether it is also C3 is a moot issue and not a Toyota recommendation.

Russian Toyota owner's manual recommends SN 0W-20 for 1AR-FE and 2GR-FKS. So, it's neither 5W-30 nor C3. And if you think Germans drive their cars fast, you should see how Russians drive. The language is the same as in the US manual with a thicker viscosity may be more suitable for high speeds or extreme loads. The Russian manual also says, "If you use SAE 10W-30 motor oil or oil with higher viscosity at very low temperatures, problems are possible when starting the engine; so, for such conditions, the recommended engine oil is SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, or 5W-30."

As I said, the only difference between the US and international oil recommendations for Toyota is that in the international manuals, thicker grades are put explicitly in the temperature chart. The recommended grade is always the thinnest grade in the temperature chart, even in the international owner's manuals. The sentence about higher viscosity may be more suitable with high speeds or extreme loads is also the same as in the US manuals.

[Linked Image]

I don't know, Castrol is pretty good about towing the manufacturer line. But other nations have more liberty and freedom to recomend different grades than the statist USA.

Here is an interesting owners club thread. https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/55897-which-oil-for-toyota-kluger-2017-0w20-any-good

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_us/c/recommendation?_ga=2.17634875.323258790.1547471550-1619398677.1547063977&vehicleType=cars-and-suvs&manufacturer=toyota&model=tacoma-(2016-)&modelType=tacoma-3-5-v6-4wd-(usa)-(2016-)

Another interesting guide.

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/tutorials/article/36-engine-oil-recommendations/

Ha!

It's interesting that manufacturers are forbidden from recommending only a specific oil grade in Europe!

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil. For example I have listed below the requirements Toyota have for the mkiii Prius, a car that has caused a lot of posts over the oils that have been used during servicing. This info is taken from Toyota's Service data sheet for European Prius mkiii only!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

Government intrusion on all sides of the ponds blurs intent.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/tutorials/article/36-engine-oil-recommendations/

Ha!

It's interesting that manufacturers are forbidden from recommending only a specific oil grade in Europe!

"The issues over which oils are used is caused by a European law called "Block exemption" the same law that states that manufacturers can't insist on main dealer servicing, also stops Toyota from insisting what oils are used by anyone wishing to service a car including their own dealer network. All Toyota are allowed to do is list a set of specifications that the oil used must meet they can also list a "preferred" oil. For example I have listed below the requirements Toyota have for the mkiii Prius, a car that has caused a lot of posts over the oils that have been used during servicing. This info is taken from Toyota's Service data sheet for European Prius mkiii only!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

Government intrusion on all sides of the ponds blurs intent.

Ha!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

Neither CATERHAM's ox cart theory (they can't transport thin oil in Australia with ox carts) nor Shannow's CAFE theory (they show thick oil in the temperature oil charts in countries other than US because there is no CAFE) was true after all!
wink.gif

Ha!

Preferred option:
0w20

Other listed options:
5w20
5w30
10w30
15w40
20w50

No they are not.
VW recommends only VW504.00/507.00 in their cars. Since VW504.00/507.00 are only 0/5W30, there you go.
Nothing stopped Toyota to develop their own specification.

Don't know about Europe but Castrol has the acea A3 recommendation for the 2gr fks. They recomend this oil first. https://www.castrol.com/en_au/austr...e/edge-product-page/edge-5w-30-a3b4.html

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

TOYOTA
Kluger, 2GR-FKS Eng., 8-Spd. Automatic, 4x4 (2016-2018

Mobil1 recommends Mobil1 ESP 5W30. So, ACEA C3.

Yeah, but since when do we treat Mobil 1 and Castrol websites as official oil recommendations? As I said, Toyota only uses ILSAC/API for their gasoline engines. C3 is also mid-SAPS like ILSAC/API -- that's why Castrol and Mobil 1 may recommend it. Chances are that the oil is also certified for SN; so, whether it is also C3 is a moot issue and not a Toyota recommendation.

Russian Toyota owner's manual recommends SN 0W-20 for 1AR-FE and 2GR-FKS. So, it's neither 5W-30 nor C3. And if you think Germans drive their cars fast, you should see how Russians drive. The language is the same as in the US manual with a thicker viscosity may be more suitable for high speeds or extreme loads. The Russian manual also says, "If you use SAE 10W-30 motor oil or oil with higher viscosity at very low temperatures, problems are possible when starting the engine; so, for such conditions, the recommended engine oil is SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, or 5W-30."

As I said, the only difference between the US and international oil recommendations for Toyota is that in the international manuals, thicker grades are put explicitly in the temperature chart. The recommended grade is always the thinnest grade in the temperature chart, even in the international owner's manuals. The sentence about higher viscosity may be more suitable with high speeds or extreme loads is also the same as in the US manuals.

[Linked Image]

Mobil1, and especially Mobil1, will never recommend oil unless recommended by manufacturer. One thing about Mobil1 is that they are very clear what is approved, what not, what is recommended and what not.
As for who drives fast, yes, I drove in Russia, but one thing is being idiot and another driving from Munich to Hamburg and keeping your car constantly at very high rpm's. You are confusing what driving fast means. Germany has fastest roads in the world, yet lower death rate per one million driven miles than the US, where speed limit is very strict. So, it comes down to many factors, but autobahns are generally very hard on engines.
When I was working as test driver we were pretty much living in Germany. Middle of the night on auto bahn gives you unique opportunity to truly test some components. Maybe one can do that in Russia, but you never know whether Russian military is going to decide to park a tank in the middle of HWY, or whether they will forget to pave part of the road. Something like that cannot happen in Germany.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
21.gif

Yeah, so I'm thinking the Honda PC800 with a readline somewhere above 8,500 and for sure 4,000 cruise
laugh.gif

Or, other bikes I have had with redlines over 12,000 ...

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Originally Posted by dailydriver
21.gif

Yeah, so I'm thinking the Honda PC800 with a readline somewhere above 8,500 and for sure 4,000 cruise
laugh.gif

Or, other bikes I have had with redlines over 12,000 ...

Bikes generally are over squared with much shorter strokes contributing to slower piston speed, enabling a higher redline. The short target service life also allows bikes to reach further into the design margins. The PacCoast 800 and goldwing are probably as close to car like as motorcycle engines get though, along with the BMW inline 6. I can't believe they put an inline 6 side ways in a bike —- those crazy Germans:)

Oh and to be thread relevant: PC800 and goldwing both call for 40 and 50 grade oil for their "high cruising rpm".

As for who drives fast, yes, I drove in Russia, but one thing is being idiot and another driving from Munich to Hamburg and keeping your car constantly at very high rpm's. You are confusing what driving fast means. Germany has fastest roads in the world, yet lower death rate per one million driven miles than the US, where speed limit is very strict.

Throw in some texting, and driving drunk and stoned at 125+ MPH and see what happens. That's what an Autobahn in the USA would be like.
eek.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
As for who drives fast, yes, I drove in Russia, but one thing is being idiot and another driving from Munich to Hamburg and keeping your car constantly at very high rpm's. You are confusing what driving fast means. Germany has fastest roads in the world, yet lower death rate per one million driven miles than the US, where speed limit is very strict.

Throw in some texting, and driving drunk and stoned at 125+ MPH and see what happens. That's what an Autobahn in the USA would be like.
eek.gif

Well, I live in CO, trust me, at 50mph it is much more dangerous that auto bahn at 145mph.
When ever I go back to Germany, I actually get rest on auto bahn. Come back here there is Toyota/Subaru clogging left lane 20mph below speed limit, trying to be safe.

Last edited:

eek.gif

Well, I live in CO, trust me, at 50mph it is much more dangerous that auto bahn at 145mph.

I don't doubt it, and probably because of more stoners in weed legal CO, as my comment eluded to. If people drove the Autobahn like they drive here, it would be death center. WA has increased highway deaths due to legal weed. Lots of peopke here can't even drive well when sober.

eek.gif

I don't doubt it, and probably because of more stoners in weed legal CO, as my comment eluded to. If people drove the Autobahn like they drive here, it would be death center. WA has increased highway deaths due to legal weed. Lots of peopke here can't even drive well when sober.

Weed is not an issue, texting is. Due to nature of my job I am in close contact with local PD. Texting is by far biggest issue.

Weed is not an issue, texting is. Due to nature of my job I am in close contact with local PD. Texting is by far biggest issue.

No doubt, and I wasn't saying weed was the worst, but weed certainly is an issue - statistics already show it's causing more accidents on the roads. Throw weed into the mix with texting and drinking and all the other distractions and it just makes a bad situation even worse. As I originally mentioned: "Throw in some texting, and driving drunk and stoned at 125+ MPH and see what happens."

The average training cost for a German driver license is probably around $3k. The average German driver is much more skillful overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back