High Mileage transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When I purchased the Civic new I wanted to take really good care of it. The manual called for 10w-30 engine oil so I used Mobil 1 and changed it every 30-50K miles. At 200K the bearing started to make noise so I pulled it and rebuilt it replacing only bearings, seals, some washers and snap rings, no gears, shafts or synchronizers. An oil analysis leading up to the overhaul showed that the engine oil sheared down quite a bit. So, I did some research and switched to Red Line MTL that is made specifically for manual transmissions and was recommended for this application. Now at 460K miles everything is still quiet and working like new. I learned my lesson.

That's why I avoid multigrades gear oil (like a 75Wxxx) like a plague.
Often times people are 'made to pay' for using multigrades gear/transmission oils (blindly follow manufacturer recommendation with unnecessary VII's) and I don't.

Actually, the tranny was a replacement a guy gave me about 8 yrs ago and I know no history on it. So I guess for me to say it has 330k on it is probably wrong....I just realized.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Does your Toyota spec just typical gear oil for the transmission?

It does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back