Help me find a good manual transmission oil

I have a 2019 Mazda3 hatchback with a manual transmission and want to change the transmission gear oil. Want to go with a quality synthetic aftermarket brand like Redline but not sure which weight the oil is because the owners manual only specifies "Mazda Long Life Gear Oil G7."

the owners manual[should]also state:
“If Mazda Long Life Gear Oil G7 cannot be obtained, use standard oil (API Service GL-4 (SAE 75W-80)”

Redline has an application page on their website. You type in make, model, year etc. and it comes up with their recommended lubricants. Or, you can contact their customer support.

It is important to only use GL-4 in the manual transmission, as GL-5 spec oil has additives that are harmful to the transmission.

Redline makes an oil for the application that seems to work well for those that have changed out their fluid in their Mazda. It is Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4.

Until my recent F-Type Jag, 100% of my sports cars have been manual transmissions. In the end, not once have I had a lubrication related problem or failure. (the Honda S2000 did lose it's input shaft bearing at low miles, but that was a known design issue, starved for oil)

I've used Royal purple Syncromax MT lube (it seems to be excellent) , Pennzoil MT lube, Mobil 1 ATF, and Redline MTL. My current Jag X-Type has Syncromax in it and at 225K miles, and is still shifting perfectly.

Last edited:
i use RedLine gear oils exclusively + the MT90 is great, the lighter MTL can be used but feel the MT90 is more protective!! using ALL redline real synthetics in my frontier gave me 3 MPG's, not a lot BUT 16 to 19 mpgs is a nice increase IMO

the owners manual[should]also state:
“If Mazda Long Life Gear Oil G7 cannot be obtained, use standard oil (API Service GL-4 (SAE 75W-80)”
Which owners manual did you see that in? My 2019 owners manual only listed the Long Life Gear Oil G7

It is important to only use GL-4 in the manual transmission, as GL-5 spec oil has additives that are harmful to the transmission.

Redline makes an oil for the application that seems to work well for those that have changed out their fluid in their Mazda. It is Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4.
Pretty much any GL5 is bronze/brass safe these days.

I have a 2019 Mazda3 hatchback with a manual transmission and want to change the transmission gear oil. Want to go with a quality synthetic aftermarket brand like Redline but not sure which weight the oil is because the owners manual only specifies "Mazda Long Life Gear Oil G7."
I've got Redline MT-90 in my 07. Not sure if that's apples to apples or not. Know its 5spd vs 6.

I have this in our 2013 CX-5 Skyactiv 6MT. Works great at -30 to +30C. You've got the same transmission.

1702599102878.png

Has anybody tried RedLine MTLV yet- I have 4L sitting on the shelf for a Honda application next year.
The MT-LV is a Low Viscosity fluid at 6.3cSt@100C MTF.

A requirement for a 75W80 means you should seek a 10cSt@100C MTF such as the Amsoil MTF.

Back