Help me find a good manual transmission oil

IME this is the best suggestion. It’s superior to Redline and other fluids for retained shift feel.
Nowhere does this say that this oil is a 75W – 80 GL-4. That’s what my car requires.

The MT-LV is a Low Viscosity fluid at 6.3cSt@100C MTF.

A requirement for a 75W80 means you should seek a 10cSt@100C MTF such as the Amsoil MTF.
Seems to be in the same class as Honda MTF2

A.These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as Dexron VI ATF) and SAE 70 or so:
1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M655-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
7. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

Nowhere does this say that this oil is a 75W – 80 GL-4. That’s what my car requires.
Use a viscosity chart:

10.8cSt at 100 is on the cusp of an 80-85 wt gear oil. So the synchromesh product should be about right.

We ran this in our VW Rabbit with great success. I have some posts from probably 2010 on here about it.

GL-4 verified it is yellow metal safe. Any MTL sold as such will be unless stated otherwise. Amsoil specifically states that it is.

Well, what others are saying is don't get hung up too much on that and peek under the covers.

Amsoil MTF is in the viscosity range of 75W-80 at 10.1cSt@100°C. That is covered.

GL-4 is not a hard labeling requirement for best transmission life and shifting feel. Mazda says Mazda Long Life Gear Oil G7. The MTF is a good fit.

NOW - I will say shift feel can be extremely user dependent. Notchy to one person is oh so awesome to another.

Used redline in my manual Corolla back in the day and my synchros went out with no warning. I’ll never use another redline product in my life. And I know many use it and say it’s amazing. Currently I’m using Ravenol in my Getrag manual transmission (car is Focus ST) and I have used Motul in the past, which felt extremely smooth. You can’t go wrong with Amsoil.

Back