Help: Should I get an iPhone 6s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Under storage, you should see a break down of what takes up the storage space, like Apps, System, Video, Cached Data etc.
Clearing cached data from that view is the best because it will clear cached data for all apps.

My issue is with the preloaded apps that came on the phone taking up internal memory with no option to move to SD card or delete. I've disabled these apps but they still take up memory. I'm not sure what the app force stop does or if it would help me here? I've heard others say the only way around this is if I root my phone? Ideas?

Disable, and "uninstall updates".
Might have to do it 4-6 times over a number of weeks until they finally stay gone.

And only allow updates on any app if you agree (no auto updates, that helps them come back)...I've got samsung browser and Googel photos keep trying to get themselves "updated" (reinstalled)

Originally Posted By: GemStater
Under storage, you should see a break down of what takes up the storage space, like Apps, System, Video, Cached Data etc.
Clearing cached data from that view is the best because it will clear cached data for all apps.

My issue is with the preloaded apps that came on the phone taking up internal memory with no option to move to SD card or delete. I've disabled these apps but they still take up memory. I'm not sure what the app force stop does or if it would help me here? I've heard others say the only way around this is if I root my phone? Ideas?

Did you clear cache and data for thses apps before you disabled them? If not, make sure it's cleared.
Also, like Shannow mentioned, even though you cannot uninstall the preloaded apps, you should be able to uninstall all the updates.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
6S is a great phone, but I wouldn't pay $300 for a new one today.

I'll take sggestions for a new smart phone $300 or less that's better than the 6S?

Did you clear cache and data for thses apps before you disabled them? If not, make sure it's cleared.
Also, like Shannow mentioned, even though you cannot uninstall the preloaded apps, you should be able to uninstall all the updates.

This is what I've done so far.

- I have two apps that allowed me to move them to the SD card, done!

- Turned off automatic updates, done!

- Went into Settings -> System -> Storage -> Internal Storage -> Cached Data -> Cleared data for all apps, done!

- Reset phone

I'm still at 7.5GB of my 8.0GB max and the phone is still alerting me that I need to free up space.

For apps there is Clear Cache and Clear Data, you have to clear both. But if that is already done, then it looks like you are running out of space. It is weird though because with only two extra apps installed, there should be plenty of storage space even with the bloatware loaded. Did you get a system update by any chance? Perhaps the new system update is using so much space.

In regards to the phones available for about $300, there are plenty of choices. iPhone 6 should serve you well, but there are others, like Sony Xperia line and Moto G5 line available from Best Buy, fully unlocked. There is also Huawei, LG and Asus which get pretty good reviews but I don't have experience with them. Samsung's mid range and low end smartphones are actually not that great. They focus on the flagships and it shows.

I got my Moto G5S Plus for $299 with 4gb of ram and 64gb storage, which is also expandable. The camera is pretty decent, battery life quite good. I compared it to my wife's iPhone 7 plus and in everyday usage, they perform the same with my Moto beating it hands down in battery life. It's very stable so far as well, it had over 1200 hours of run time before I needed to restart it to get a security update installed. It currently sits at over 650 hours.

If you decide to go Android, I would suggest to go with a brand that doesn't have a heavily modified Android skin. The closer to stock the better, especially with lower specs IMO. Motorola, Nokia and OnePlus come to mind.

I have used all sots of cell phones over two decades.
Much prefer Android for value of dollar and available apps.

So all our personal phones are Android, my company supplied phone is an Iphone (again, after brief company android ... I hate Apple but I do also understand why people love them and the system.
Thing is I dont like being tied down to a system and I think APPLE is an outdated has been name, much like Betamax vs VHS was decades ago, dying a slow death as its cult status it just overwhelmed by the massive amount of Android devices which now has a vastly larger amount of apps.

I can not for the life of me understand why people make payments for a cell phone, amazes me, when someone can have something really good for $100.

Dont take my post wrong, I hate all West Coast Technology companies :eek:) ... but not much choice for a phone then the two. I dont like how they are taking corporate stances on political issues, its at the point that they are to large and need to be broken up.
So I do things like use duckduckgo for search engine, opera browser whatever.

Not sure why people are ok with Google, apple, facebook using your personal data to sell and make money off, amazes me...

Last edited:
Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I've put some serious consideration into Moto G5plus. I recognize it could give the 6s a run for the money and would be an easier transition from my current Android device.

However my consideration goes further than just device features, performance, and value-per-dollar.

First, I recognize this may be controversial, but from what I've seen and heard, iOS has a slight leg up over Andriod regarding personal privacy and security. Maybe I'm a bit naive on the topic but in my estimation, it's a serious knock against Andriod that my device tracks my every move and then beams that data up to the Google cloud where it will be stored forever. This bugs me. I understand Apple does it too but not to the same degree as Google.

Secondly, The demonstrated political biases and ethical practices of Alphabet Inc.(American Multinational Conglomerate), has me very unhappy. I find myself wanting to boycott anything Google whenever the choice arises including paying more for an older phone with less features and performance.

See also ->

First, I recognize this may be controversial, but from what I've seen and heard, iOS has a slight leg up over Andriod regarding personal privacy and security. Maybe I'm a bit naive on the topic but in my estimation, it's a serious knock against Andriod that my device tracks my every move and then beams that data up to the Google cloud where it will be stored forever. This bugs me. I understand Apple does it too but not to the same degree as Google.

In regards to privacy, out of the box, I agree that Apple tracks less stuff. However, they want you to use iCloud a lot. Guess who provides the majority of cloud services to apple? Yup, Google, so chances are they track a lot of Apple customers that way.

But if all the tracking bothers you, it pretty much all can be turned off from various google settings. Yes, it's not super convinient and located in one place, but it can be done without that much effort. Some tracking will always happen though, doesn't matter the operating system.

I just recently downloaded my history archive from google and there was not all that much in there since I already turned off location tracking, adds, and various other privacy settings. I left some of them on because I find some of the services useful.

As far as security goes, if you don't download and install large amounts of apps and only stick to few trusted ones, Android is as secure as iOS.

Update:

After trying to maximize the internal memory on my Samsung J3 with little or no success, I decided to get the 32GB iPhone 6s new-not-refurbished phone. For $300/shipped through Consumer Cellular I think it will be a good value for me. So far I like it.

I’ve had my iPhone 6S since Sept 2015 (when they were released).

I’d give it a 7/10. Maybe 8/10.

Had to have the screen replaced under warranty within the first year because the Home button lost its “snap” or “springiness”.

Then, about a year ago, Apple replaced the battery for free because the phone would randomly shut down in semi-cool temps (when I’d leave it in the car for a couple of hours when it was about 50° in the car) or drop from 90% batt. to 40% within a couple of min, for no apparent reason.

Of course, now, it’s been almost 2 years since the screen/home button was replaced and it lost its spring a long time ago. I just live with it.

Other than those minor problems, I can’t complain. It’s a pretty amazing piece of technology.

Oh, it also randomly forgets my Yahoo email PW and won’t let me send/receive email from time to time, until I go back in and change my password (which usually takes several attempts to get it to recognize it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back