Help me chose an oil 1990 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
1990 F150 V8 (5.0), I'm looking for a good oil this winter, the truck has just over 100,000 miles and a small oil leak. The manual says 5w-30 for most temps, I guess I'd be looking for a good 5w-30 flowing dino for winter temps. Thanks.

i am by no means an expert. i am actually asking the same question on here about my car. the only response i've gotten so far is valvoline maxlife high mileage and pennzoil high mileage. the high mileage oils have an additive package that can help condition the seals and stop some small leaks.

I think most all 5W30 SM dino oils are pretty similar. I don't think you need any high zddp oil or anything, just an SM 5W30. I tend to favor QS and Pennzoil and then Mobil Clean 5000. Despite your oil leak I would say most HM oils are probably a tad thicker at low temps.

Where's the leak? If it's valve covers, they are easy enough to replace.

Personal preference is Mobil, so if looking conventional, the MC 5000 5w30 looks like a good choice.

I have a 1990 F150 with the same engine and the truck seems to respond better to High Mileage motor oils. If I had to recommend one specific brand for one with a small leak, it would be Pennzoil High Mileage. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was, but the standard performance wasn't quite there with Mobil 5000 when I tried that. If you have to go with Mobil, try Mobil Clean High Mileage.

As far as leaks go, the truck came from the factory with cork gaskets, so the intake and valve cover gaskets will probably be the culprits. I replaced all of that with the felpro perma seal blue gaskets. And the truck has a flat tappet cam from the factory too. They didn't upgrade the trucks to rollers until about 93. You have to factor that into what type of oil you use too. I have gotten great service out of it using high mileage 5w 30 oil. When the leaks were really bad, it was supertech high mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back