Help me chose a new printer

I bought my Brother HL-3040CN when they came out near the end of 2009, just pulled up the counter for it:

View attachment 214629

Still tickin.

You print a lot more than me haha. I am on the same generic eBay toner cartridge I bought many years ago to replace the one that came with the printer. I love my Brother HL-2270DW!

Every time I install a Brother laser printer somewhere I know it's just going to work whether they print one page a month or 100 pages a day. I absolutely love them.

brother.jpg

After years of poverty I finally had had enough of Epson and expensive cartridges I purchased a Brother laser printer and it's the best decision I've made.Shopped around and Ebay gave me the best price.Had two more friends had me to order them one also.Don't let the wireless set up scare you cause there are plenty of help doing that on youtube.Had mine since 2019 and never had any problems with it.It's great to print from your cell phone,tablet.laptop,and the chromebox on my tv.You will be surprised on how long the cartridge will last on a laser printer.

You print a lot more than me haha. I am on the same generic eBay toner cartridge I bought many years ago to replace the one that came with the printer. I love my Brother HL-2270DW!

Every time I install a Brother laser printer somewhere I know it's just going to work whether they print one page a month or 100 pages a day. I absolutely love them.

View attachment 214632
About 1000 pages a year. Most of that was the kid and wife. Kid for school, wife for.....who knows what.

I highly recommend a Canon ImageClass MF232w B&W laser, or similar. I bought mine through WM 4yrs ago. Easy wireless printing through your devices. Low cost aftermarket cartridges. We've easily printed 4000 pages through ours. I'm on the 3-4th toner cart. I wish I switched to laser long ago.

I recently purchased a "restored" Brother printer at a good price from Walmart. It looked brand new when it arrived.
I prefer laser printers over inkjet.

Hi everyone.
I just bought a new Acer 315 chromebook, because my old laptop gets messed up evertime I connect it to the internet.

This new Acer 315 is not compatible with my old
Dell 1130 laser printer. It seems there is not a driver out there that can be loaded on to the Acer that will enable it to work with a Dell 1130 printer.

There is a long list of printers that are compatible with the acer. I only go through about a ream of paper a year.

I want the quality of nice print from a laser printer. And I can get by easily with only having black and white. It would be nice to have a scanner but that's not actually necessary.

Does anyone have any idea of what printers would be reliable and low cost when it comes time to replacing the toner for the laser printer, and decently low cost for the printer, out of all the ones that are available that are compatible with the acer 315?

In other words what's the best choice, best bang for the buck?

I tried to link a website that lists all of the printers that are compatible with that laptop.But I wasn't able to do that.
As for color, Laser printers do not produce high quality color. OK for bar graphs, etc but not anything fine. (Please let me know if there has been improvement in that area.) Guessing they don't print glossy photographs.

If you need high quality fine color images you're stuck with inkjets, in which case get something with a removable print head. I use a HP inkjet and use their Instant Ink program. Way cheaper than buying at a store and they send ink before you run low.

For Black and White a lazerjet printer can't be beat.

As for color, Laser printers do not produce high quality color. OK for bar graphs, etc but not anything fine. (Please let me know if there has been improvement in that area.) Guessing they don't print glossy photographs.

If you need high quality fine color images you're stuck with inkjets, in which case get something with a removable print head. I use a HP inkjet and use their Instant Ink program. Way cheaper than buying at a store and they send ink before you run low.

For Black and White a lazerjet printer can't be beat.
Our Brother color laser printer will out print inkjet color printers any day. You couldn't drag me back to an inkjet printer.

Hi everyone.
I just bought a new Acer 315 chromebook, because my old laptop gets messed up evertime I connect it to the internet.

This new Acer 315 is not compatible with my old
Dell 1130 laser printer. It seems there is not a driver out there that can be loaded on to the Acer that will enable it to work with a Dell 1130 printer.

There is a long list of printers that are compatible with the acer. I only go through about a ream of paper a year.

I want the quality of nice print from a laser printer. And I can get by easily with only having black and white. It would be nice to have a scanner but that's not actually necessary.

Does anyone have any idea of what printers would be reliable and low cost when it comes time to replacing the toner for the laser printer, and decently low cost for the printer, out of all the ones that are available that are compatible with the acer 315?

In other words what's the best choice, best bang for the buck?

I tried to link a website that lists all of the printers that are compatible with that laptop.But I wasn't able to do that.
I love my epson Stylus cx5000 but. Epson stopped making laser printers in 2022, due to going all in on their "Ink tank" models. I'm looking for a new laser printer soon. From my looking HP and Brother use a separate black and color toner cartridge which is useful if you only print B&W most of the time.

Will it print photos on glossy paper?
Plain Paper, Thin Paper, Thick Paper, Recycled Paper, Bond, Label, Envelope, Env. Thin, Env.Thick, Glossy Paper.

Do you print fine artwork on it?
LOL, no

What model is it?
3770CDW (3780CDW is current)

How many colors?
Lots, but I have no idea what the printed color depth is.

How much $ per cartridge?
More expensive than inkjet, but many times more printed pages per cartridge than inkjet.

Plain Paper, Thin Paper, Thick Paper, Recycled Paper, Bond, Label, Envelope, Env. Thin, Env.Thick, Glossy Paper.

LOL, no

3770CDW (3780CDW is current)

Lots, but I have no idea what the printed color depth is.

More expensive than inkjet, but many times more printed pages per cartridge than inkjet.
Somebody not too long ago looked at the per page cost of laser is now less than ink jet versus way back being more expensive.

They're trying to implement a subscription business model. Pay monthly whether you print or not, not allowing you to use aftermarket refills, things like that and worse. Check out Louis Rossman on YT.... It's a shame too, because we've used HP for years and one reason is their compatibility with iSeries (AS400). It's a little tougher to find a Brother that's compatible. They're out there, but harder to find.

Last edited:
They're trying to implement a subscription business model. Pay monthly whether you print or not, not allowing you to use aftermarket refills, things like that and worse. Check out Louis Rossman on YT.... It's a shame too, because we've used HP for years and one reason is their compatibility with iSeries (AS400). It's a little tougher to find a Brother that's compatible. They're out there, but harder to find.

Currently their HP Smart program requires a login now (didn't in the past) but no subscription plan, yet. I did hear word of HP attempting that, but 6 years ago. Good HP printers are relics of the past though, every single one I've come across now is form over function.

Rip HP 5100.

Back