Help me choose a phone please, iP5 or GS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
Thanks PandaBear for your thoughtful advice.

Everyone, I read last night that The Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD and the Droid Razr HD are also very highly recommended, at least by Consumer Reports.

Do any of you have one of these or do any of you have any further recommendations on these two Motorola's?

I looked into them both, but ended up staying away as the batteries aren't removable. I had a Motorola Atrix and it would freeze up (not often), and a battery pull was the only way to get it unstuck.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I looked into them both, but ended up staying away as the batteries aren't removable. I had a Motorola Atrix and it would freeze up (not often), and a battery pull was the only way to get it unstuck.

If design correctly, usually if you hold the power button for a long time (i.e. more than 15 seconds), it would trigger a forced off that is non software driven. This is pretty much standard design practice on all electronics with no removable power source because you can never trust only software. Have you tried this?

Wait, so not only Apple has phones with non removable batteries? For shame on Motorola!
wink.gif

Getting away from a removable battery in the iPhone was a big step for me. I can tell you, I had gotten intimately familiar with pulling batteries in both my Motorola and HTC Android phones.

But it's a non-issue. My iPhone simply hasn't locked up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Getting away from a removable battery in the iPhone was a big step for me. I can tell you, I had gotten intimately familiar with pulling batteries in both my Motorola and HTC Android phones.

But it's a non-issue. My iPhone simply hasn't locked up.

Thankfully that is the rule these days. Most phones don't lock up.

My wife's nexus (samsung) and my Sony have never needed to have their battery pulled out or lock up.

I do like having the battery replaceable for under $25 instead of having to take the phone apart and risk damaging something.

I know my wife's ex iPhone rebooting each time you held it was not a feature. Apple said something got pinched when they took it apart. The replacement was working well till we sold it.

I'd like a nexus 4 but it not having replaceable battery and fixed storage is not something I like. For now my Sony is working great.
Take care, bill

Even if a phone lock up, most of them are designed with a power switch circuit that if you hold the power button for a few second it would force power off on it. It is build with no OS software involved. I use it at work with experimental software that locks up all the time, this hardware power off works like wonder.

I have had the iPhone 4S and 5 and I have never had the phone mess up, lock up, or require powering off.

Infact, I have not powered down my iPhone 5 once since I got it when it the day it was released. . . . .

When I was checking them out I had Verizon put the G3 in an OtterBox Commuter just to see the final package I will have.

The cased phone slips in and out of my front and rear pockets easily. I suppose this is because the G3 is sooo danged thin. I was rather surprised at this discovery because after seeing those big clunky iPhone4's in a case I was worried that that my new G3 would be a behemoth. It's not and I am rather surprised by that actually.

I have a Body Glove case on my GS3 and it easily slips in and out of my LF pocket, even when wearing fairly tight jeans. I don't even notice it's there once in.

I've never had a problem with putting a 4.5 inch screen phone in my pockets so I'm not sure what the complaints are about. In fact, my wife loves the Galaxy Note and I said I can never own one since if it doesn't fit in my pocket, its a deal breaker. So when we were at best buy,she said see if it will fit in your pocket and it did surprisingly. So I may get a Note next since it doubles as a tablet and means one less device to carry around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back