Head's spinning from what oil for 1970 chevy LT-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys recommending the 10w-30 Valvoline VR1 are right. It has the right amount of ZDDP that your flat tappet cam was designed for. ...And the grade is right.

I've decided M1 0w-40 SN rated, with I think 1200ppm of zinc is the way to go. Read several times that the racing oils are not recommended for street drive engines for various reasons. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I've decided M1 0w-40 SN rated, with I think 1200ppm of zinc is the way to go. Read several times that the racing oils are not recommended for street drive engines for various reasons. Thanks for the input.

M1 0w40 only has 1000 ppm of zddp.

VR-1 conventional and Syn are not true "racing only" oils... They surpass the requirements for your 1970s street engine. There is a racing only version, but I have never seen that one on the shelf.

I have used the Syn and conventional VR-1 in my motorcycles ( 100hp/liter ) on the street for up to 5000miles with excellent OA results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

M1 0w40 only has 1000 ppm of zddp.

He could always Red Line additive the ZDDP level upwards IF needed (one bottle would last a LONG time!).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back