What kind of oil for 2010 mercedes glk 350 do you guys use?

Alright gentlemen, this has been a fun rabbit hole from which I emerge more knowledgeable than ever. Euro spec oil is separated from regular stuff like my pennzoil because of the additive pack which allows it to be run up to 10k that the car makers insist is ok, its all EPA and carbon footprint reduction bs of european laws. If this glk was mine, id keep the pennzoil synthetic, its a fine oil and would just change at 4-5k as any other car. 10k oci is a bad practice, doesn't matter if you use gods piss in that crankcase because you still have carbon contamination.
Mostly true - that last sentance? Eh, not really, no.

Not at all, in fact.

Let me gently suggest that people who experience problems with MB engines are not using an MB approved oil (see that Bevo link I provided) and instead, looking at “full synthetic” or “API” as being sufficient, when I promise that those approvals are irrelevant to the engine in question.

10,000 mile intervals on an MB 229.5 approved oil yields a spotless engine. Indistinguishable from new.

Here is one:

Sure, that’s a 5X,XXX miles, but at well over 120,000 miles, the same engine in my other car is equally spotless. So clean as to look brand new. Both engines will go 10,000 miles without needing a top off, they use so little oil.

The 229.5 holds up very, very well during an extended drain.

You imply that you own the vehicle with your opening post and then claim you do not own the vehicle followed up with regulatory mumbo-jumbo. Me thinks you've done at best an average job trolling the board.
No trolling, my concern is genuine and as honest as possible because its NOT my car and I wont be around always to monitor how happy the engine is with the oil.

Alright gentlemen, this has been a fun rabbit hole from which I emerge more knowledgeable than ever. Euro spec oil is separated from regular stuff like my pennzoil because of the additive pack which allows it to be run up to 10k that the car makers insist is ok, its all EPA and carbon footprint reduction bs of european laws. If this glk was mine, id keep the pennzoil synthetic, its a fine oil and would just change at 4-5k as any other car. 10k oci is a bad practice, doesn't matter if you use gods piss in that crankcase because you still have carbon contamination.
Congrats you win API is superior stuff clearly :cautious: :ROFLMAO:

MB 229.3 or any A3/B4 within viscosity range is the short OCI spec for your engine. They have higher HTHS then your common API oils, and are full-SAPS.
Has nothing to do with long oci or carbon reduction. More about autobahn approved oil👌

Last edited:
No trolling, my concern is genuine and as honest as possible because it’s NOT my car and I wont be around always to monitor how happy the engine is with the oil.
Engine happiness is not a reliable indicator of meeting a manufacturer approval requirements.

You came here asking for assistance. I’m not sure why you’re not listening to any of it.

Back