Have you ever added water to the car battery?

Just curious, if one needs to add water to the battery? I have an old (Kirkland) battery that works fine, but being old (8 YO) battery, I am not too sure if I should check and add water in it. Is there any rule of thumb for checking and adding water?

This car gets a 50 mile run daily, half highway, half city driving, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Just curious, if one needs to add water to the battery? I have an old (Kirkland) battery that works fine, but being old (8 YO) battery, I am not too sure if I should check and add water in it. Is there any rule of thumb for checking and adding water?

This car gets a 50 mile run daily, half highway, half city driving, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
You ought to check the "Water" level at least ever 12 months and add distilled water only to top up if needed.
I do this twice a year sping & fall and also each time I recharge it with a smart charger that also desulfates.
My battery is an OEM Lexus 7 years old, looks like new, has no deposits or accumulations on the posts and looks like it will
go for at least another 7 years.

Fond memory....

My Pops used to do this when i was a little kid. He would then let me use that metal, cylindrical terminal brush to clean the terminals from the "chalk".

I haven't needed to add water for the last 30 years. The newer chemistry in the plates were developed to use very little water. If you find you need to add water, then the first thing I would do is check the alternator output for over charging or poor connections.

After you add some distill water, I normally trickle charge the battery for a good measure.
I was going to ask this question.
I have not checked the level in 8 years so I am assuming, I may need to add a good bit of water. I do not have a trickle charger. Would it be a bad idea to add water and then go drive for 25 miles (one way to the work)? All I have to make sure that the car starts after adding the water i.e. there is not too much dilution.

I did when I was young and dumb, to a green Interstate battery with removable lids. In hindsight, I didn't need to, and probably overfilled it, but I wanted to do "something."

I suspect it's less of a thing now, with better voltage regulation. Probably really not a problem now with cars chronically undercharging. Adding water was to fix a symptom of overcharging.

Your car will start with the water added, don't worry. You really shouldn't have to add too much.

I haven't had to add water to a battery in over 20 years. And when I did add water, it was straight tap water. My batteries would last 5-8 years. I know everybody says you need "distilled" water, but my real world experience says you don't.,,

Never have, not in 25-30 years. Not that I've been around that many, but a solid nope for me.

I did, for more than 50 years. It's been a while since I had a new flooded battery that wasn't sealed or semi-sealed. The oem Panasonic's in my two Scions had six accessible caps. I added distilled H2O twice a year. Long battery life.

Back