CTEK MXS 5.0

OK! So, aside from discussing the CTEK MXS 5.0 in general.. In my specific application, the battery WAS ran down to "dead enough to need a jump start" in the recent overheat/blown radiator incident in the Subaru. (Lots of jump starting from the Taurus. This is now my profile banner pic, too. Just for my own reference. A starting point and memento, if you will. Cool.)

20230704_171338.jpg

The battery.... this one:

20230729_124426.jpg

... I believe I charged it up for about a day and then put it back in the car for about a week and now and charging it in this manner until the engine comes.

Here is the voltage ⚡

20230729_124645.jpg

And yes, it's probably about 100 degrees out in the garage I just don't realize it. Sides are NOT bulging (they do not squeeze in as previous batteries I had did, like the Infiniti battery) and it does NOT have caps to check the water.. this concerns me a little bit.

So, scenario set up.

Now as to the CTEK MXS 5.0 in general...

1. It is on Stage 7. I thought I read somewhere it maintains Stage 7 at 13.6V.. does the voltage change somewhat with heat?

2. Can Stage 7 KILL a battery?

3. Since this battery was discharged for some days.. is this an acceptable reading, before it gets to Stage 8 "in a week?" (I didn't believe it at first but it switches to Stage 8 at 10 days to the second/minute. It's amazing.)

4. The Stage 7.. does it have any effect to help the battery hold charge, or extend the life?

5. Is my battery screwed because it was low on charge for probably a few days, maybe as many as 5?

6. Is the CTEK MXS 5.0 one you use regularly?

Let's make this about the CTEK MXS 5.0, maybe Stage 7, and if you like it more than or less than other chargers, and why!

And yes, most of the labeling has been "wiped clean" off the battery just from use of Tire Foam etc. Most of under the engine bay is like that.

Charging voltage needs to be reduced in hot conditions. It's probably better not to charge at all in hot conditions.

A battery being stored for a few weeks can be charged once before storage, then store it disconnected until about ready to place back in service.

Is that a wet lead acid or AGM?

Looks like the charger is set for agm.

Is that a wet lead acid or AGM?

Looks like the charger is set for agm.
No no, the car icon is regular. AGM is next to it

Seems like the CTEK dropped the voltage to compensate for the heat.. this is why I was wondering if Stage 7 can "damage" a battery. If it's getting the battery used to take the sustained 14.1-14.2V of an alternate output...

@mk378 You would unplug it and not worry about it getting to Stage 8 (float charge?)

It also might not be 100 degrees in garage, I don't have thermometer. Door is closed and it felt somewhat cool out there. Maybe holding outside "Feels like 99 degrees" heat out. Yesterday "Felt like 106." That's nothing compared to other parts of the country like Florida and Texas... yesterday was hotter..

Screenshot_20230729-134448_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
No no, the car icon is regular. AGM is next to it

Seems like the CTEK dropped the voltage to compensate for the heat.. this is why I was wondering if Stage 7 can "damage" a battery. If it's getting the battery used to take the sustained 14.1-14.2V of an alternate output...

@mk378 You would unplug it and not worry about it getting to Stage 8 (float charge?)
ah ok thats a car - got it.

Specs:
Output - 14.4/14.7/15.8 V, - 5.0 A
Battery capacity - 1.2–160 Ah

That charger is not intended to bring an auto battery from a low voltage to a full charge (it's only 5 amps output). 160 Ah is a lawn tractor size. I just charged my car battery with a 20 amp charger, and it ran 10 hours.

I use a CTEK MUS 25000 for my trolling, sump pump, (and car batts on rare occasions).

Once the left-most green light is lit, you are good to go. The other steps are for leaving the charger on all the time.
If you use the Recondition mode, you'll want to pry off the hidden access strip, and check the water level on the batt. That mode will also 'stir up' the acid (that's what CTEK says) with the bubbles that are produced during charging.

A CTEK such as yours is not a "battery charger". Its a battery maintainer. Yes, it will slowly charge a partially diacharged battery to full charge, and then maintain that charge. You cannot "overcharge" a battery with that CTEK. In fact, you could leave it on the battery 24/7.

I am an amateur radio operator. In my hamshack is a lot of equipment that runs on 12-15 volts. As many hams do, I have a battery that supplies this power, and I keep that battery on a CTEK 24/7.

Similarly, My Corvette is not driven from Thanksgiving to Easter. It also stays on a CTEK 24/7 during this period. I have never had a battery, starting out in good condition, go bad while being maintained on a CTEK.

Charging voltage needs to be reduced in hot conditions. It's probably better not to charge at all in hot conditions.

A battery being stored for a few weeks can be charged once before storage, then store it disconnected until about ready to place back in service.
90 degrees in NJ is not hot conditions.

The float voltage should be adjusted. I believe the ctek units do so.

1. It is on Stage 7. I thought I read somewhere it maintains Stage 7 at 13.6V.. does the voltage change somewhat with heat?
2. Can Stage 7 KILL a battery?
3. Since this battery was discharged for some days.. is this an acceptable reading, before it gets to Stage 8 "in a week?" (I didn't believe it at first but it switches to Stage 8 at 10 days to the second/minute. It's amazing.)
4. The Stage 7.. does it have any effect to help the battery hold charge, or extend the life?
5. Is my battery screwed because it was low on charge for probably a few days, maybe as many as 5?
6. Is the CTEK MXS 5.0 one you use regularly?
Let's make this about the CTEK MXS 5.0, maybe Stage 7, and if you like it more than or less than other chargers, and why!
And yes, most of the labeling has been "wiped clean" off the battery just from use of Tire Foam etc. Most of under the engine bay is like that.

1. User manual states: "Built-in charge voltage compensation according to ambient temperature." so yes, it does compensate for temperatures as long as they are below 122F (50C).
2. No, it will not damage the battery. Stage 7 does not supply the full current, it keeps the charging current small enough to keep the voltage constant.
3. Yes, it looks normal.
4. I believe so - technically, it is a more gentle continuation of stage 4. At stage 5 it was found that the battery can hold the voltage and is not faulty therefore it makes sense to continue the absorption phase but the additional absorption (stage 7) is performed at a lower voltage to prevent overcharging.
5. Obviously, in stage 5 the battery was found worthy, therefore the battery is not screwed.
6. I use CTEK 5.0 MXS Test and Charge (i.e. slightly different model) as the only charger for all my needs (14Ah, 17 Ah, 44 Ah, 65 Ah) including keeping the car on the charger for two weeks.

Last edited:
i have a C-Tek 4.3 MUSE + been using it for YEARS + IMO it keeps ALL my batteries healthy!! they are ALL old + my 13 Vic Hammer motorcycle battery is OE!! yours "looks" similar as my model is no longer listed. i move my C-Tek from bikes to car + truck monthly keeping them topped up + sometimes leave it for several days on one vehicle without issue.

i have a C-Tek 4.3 MUSE + been using it for YEARS + IMO it keeps ALL my batteries healthy!! they are ALL old + my 13 Vic Hammer motorcycle battery is OE!! yours "looks" similar as my model is no longer listed. i move my C-Tek from bikes to car + truck monthly keeping them topped up + sometimes leave it for several days on one vehicle without issue.
+2

I keep two cars stored all winter in the garage, and I swap the CTEK back and forth between them every few weeks.

Back