halogen bulb recommendations?

There is a lot to wish about this car.
I personally never understood how company can make family vehicle with such lights, but here I am.
I just keep fog lights on all the time.
The one negative thing about LEDs is that in other light or rainy conditions, the light does get washed out extremely badly. That's why I prefer HIDs to LEDs but since it doesn't rain a whole lot here, LEDs still > halogens.

The one negative thing about LEDs is that in other light or rainy conditions, the light does get washed out extremely badly. That's why I prefer HIDs to LEDs but since it doesn't rain a whole lot here, LEDs still > halogens.
I don’t drive this car as much. Only road trips. I use other two cars for everything else and they both have HiD. VW ones are ridiculous. I never had vehicle with such effective HiD’s.

I don’t drive this car as much. Only road trips. I use other two cars for everything else and they both have HiD. VW ones are ridiculous. I never had vehicle with such effective HiD’s.
HIDs ftmfwwwwwwwww:cool:

I'm not sure if everyone else is this way, but the higher CRI of halogen seems to be less fatiguing and provides more depth perception for me. Lower color temp HID (I think it's 3.5k kelvin that TRS sells) has been my go-to in a projector if I can't get good light out of halogens. That "thin," blue light of higher fashionable color temps just gets lost on black tarmac. LEDs with the exact same characteristics as the rechargeable flashlight included with my drill have never been my first choice. I'm looking forward to LEDs which have enough headroom to bring in higher CRI in automotive applications. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure if everyone else is this way, but the higher CRI of halogen seems to be less fatiguing and provides more depth perception for me. Lower color temp HID (I think it's 3.5k kelvin that TRS sells) has been my go-to in a projector if I can't get good light out of halogens. That "thin," blue light of higher fashionable color temps just gets lost on black tarmac. LEDs with the exact same characteristics as the rechargeable flashlight included with my drill have never been my first choice. I'm looking forward to LEDs which have enough headroom to bring in higher CRI in automotive applications. Just my opinion.
Agreed 100%. I asked this to a few lighting engineers awhile ago, turns out there is a TON of science behind all this. SAE actually calls for a certain amount of red light in OEM LED’s, and a “6000k” light can actually vary wildly in color.
5F010504-F4FA-42CB-A2F2-BCCF716B59F3.jpeg
904C36C4-0193-4657-8950-471FBC0D5120.jpeg

First of all, Toyota has horrible projectors.
I was in same situation. I knew LED’s wouldn’t probably work, but I ordered them thinking if it doesn’t, I will move it to fog projectors. And no, they didn’t work. The light is all over the place (and I got Phillips LED, not some Chinese POS).
So, go LED in fog projectors. It works!
Then listen @RooflessVW and go H9.
Second, brand: Phillips or Osram (Sylvania).

Your Sienna got an acceptable rating from IIHS from the H11 projectors, better than many bixenon projectors and LED headlights.

How long are people getting out of these higher power halogens? Read some reviews last night and it sounds like I can expect only a year or so? The bulbs I was looking at were $60 for a pair. Sylvania Silverstar ultra
The "increased" power it takes to overcome the tint bands that filter out the useable light, means decreased life, around 150 hours, which is not much compared to a standard life bulb, let alone a long-life bulb

It doesn’t get acceptable ratings from my eyes.
IIHS uses actual data, not anecdotal evidence.

When you're used to a bixenon projector, then jump into a halogen light vehicle, it seems dim in comparison.

Also, Koito put some good LED projectors in my Highlander for Toyota.

that may not be the case. Quite a few factors involved. led position and reflector shape play a major role, as does overall aim. There are some LED’s that have excellent color temperature and that helps too.
LED position is mostly marketing BS.

a LED light source(s) has entirely different properties than the halogen bulb it was "designed" for. The modeling of the reflector is based on the light source it is defined for. So when you put in a different light source than intended, even if it mimics the filament position, you still get light pointed at the wrong places.

a big OEM light Osram-Sylvania, while they do have LED bulbs, they also say they are legal (DOT and ECE wise) not for your low beams and high beams, but for auxilary lighting like foglights.

I tried a LED 9006 in my fog lights... it turned a nice flat & wide beam pattern into driving lights. So, I got rid of them and put back the halogen 9006 bulbs.

Also case in point, a Koito h11 projector and D2S projector (from a lexus RX330 non-AFS) while to the naked eye look almost identical, there are differences in the reflector design and shield design that optimizes it for the H11 bulb or a D2S projector.

I like the Philips X Treme vision bulb...H11 in my 2021 Honda HRV.
I've had good luck with these. Installed these 5 years ago in my Ram. Made a noticeable difference and still going strong.

Tried Silverstars an my previous truck. Both burned out within a year.

Reactions: hrv
I'd like to get some brighter halogen headlight bulbs for my 2017 Highlander. The standard bulbs it came with have always been terrible in terms of beam distance and overall illumination of the road.

Did 2017 models actually come without full LED or at least HID/Xenon headlights? :unsure: :oops: :unsure:

I'd suggest Philips Ultinon LED and a good alignment. No Chinese made crap.

Back