halogen bulb recommendations?

First of all, Toyota has horrible projectors.
I was in same situation. I knew LED’s wouldn’t probably work, but I ordered them thinking if it doesn’t, I will move it to fog projectors. And no, they didn’t work. The light is all over the place (and I got Phillips LED, not some Chinese POS).
So, go LED in fog projectors. It works!
Then listen @RooflessVW and go H9.
Second, brand: Phillips or Osram (Sylvania).

Not really, no.

LEDs may work half decent in his projectors, and they may not. Depends on the projector and the bulbs chosen. Difference in LED chip placement, thickness, etc can make a big difference. A lot of LED bulbs are also hot Chinese garbage.

Halogen bulbs are standardized. A quality H9 will increase light output, guaranteed, while being properly focused.
No.

As far as "placement, thickness, quality, etc", of course if you buy cheap ones they're going to suck. Just like if you buy cheap anything it's going to suck, that goes without saying and to even have to mention it is an affront to arguments across the world. ;)

Last edited:
First of all, Toyota has horrible projectors.
I was in same situation. I knew LED’s wouldn’t probably work, but I ordered them thinking if it doesn’t, I will move it to fog projectors. And no, they didn’t work. The light is all over the place (and I got Phillips LED, not some Chinese POS).
So, go LED in fog projectors. It works!
Then listen @RooflessVW and go H9.
Second, brand: Phillips or Osram (Sylvania).
The wife's old 2015 Camry had great projectors, once we got rid of the trash OEM halogen bulbs and put in LED's since almost all halogen applications are nowhere near as good as LED applications.

Poverty is cheap drop LED’s. At least do a proper HID retrofit, or get some OEM HID/LED headlights.
Not at all. Our CR-V headlights that came with halogen projectors that were replaced with decent quality ($75 for the pair) LED bulbs far outweigh our stock Odyssey LED headlights. Your opinion is negated and null and void.

Unless you have a lux meter and have taken measurements, your opinion also means nothing.
And that's fine, I'm not trying to be a leading authority on this. I'm saying in my applications and personal experience, this is what I've seen. :cool:

H9 halogen in a H11 projector, vs a top performing LED and a not so top performing LED. Still doesn’t do anything about the terrible color of the LED’s… washed out white 🤢
CE8877A7-7268-4487-B465-450DB0AF3580.jpeg

22D9D6CF-E7A6-4A63-B542-4F5A8DE8EF44.jpeg

469696CB-09E0-4211-B2A4-091A7F7D49D0.jpeg

Not at all. Our CR-V headlights that came with halogen projectors that were replaced with decent quality ($75 for the pair) LED bulbs far outweigh our stock Odyssey LED headlights. Your opinion is negated and null and void.
I paid Phillips $130. It doesn’t work. Works excellent what they are made for, fog lights.

How long are people getting out of these higher power halogens? Read some reviews last night and it sounds like I can expect only a year or so? The bulbs I was looking at were $60 for a pair. Sylvania Silverstar ultra

I usually stick with what the vehicle came with and make sure the assemblies are adjusted correctly or even better, to my personal liking without blinding on coming drivers.:cool:

I guess that if my lights were dimming out over time then, it's time for replacements. I have no issues with trying other types of lighting however, they all work different in all vehicles lighting systems and I hate spending MORE money and not receiving better results. 'Cause, you just don't know until you try them.:whistle:

Most testing facilities🔍 say that, the whiter/brighter lights don't shine out in the distance any further/wider. This is all in the adjustment(s) of the vehicles lighting assemblies. 🔦

Even with my aging eyes and lower tolerance for things that I already dislike, I don't really have trouble/issues with standard halogen lighting on vehicles. Sure, I wouldn't mind better lighting for nighttime driving but, I'm pretty good with standard lights. 💡

I was just talking about this the other day with someone, is there anything worse than having people drive by you and it seems as if everyone has their high beams on? Sooner or later do you just join them? Because this is getting ridiculous.
Most of it is the eyes perceived harshness of the temperature or color of lights. Our eyes perceive 5000/6000/6500K lights as brighter or more harsh then 3500-4500K lights so a lot of times, all things equal, people will say that an LED looks brighter then a halogen just because of that alone.

It doesn’t work on Sienna. The light is all over the place. In rain it is absolutely ridiculous.
That sucks. Not sure what’s different about Sienna projectors vs the Camry but can’t imagine they’re completely different and Toyota decided not to make a decent projector for them.

That sucks. Not sure what’s different about Sienna projectors vs the Camry but can’t imagine they’re completely different and Toyota decided not to make a decent projector for them.
There is a lot to wish about this car.
I personally never understood how company can make family vehicle with such lights, but here I am.
I just keep fog lights on all the time.

Back