halogen bulb recommendations?

Hey gang,

I'd like to get some brighter halogen headlight bulbs for my 2017 Highlander. The standard bulbs it came with have always been terrible in terms of beam distance and overall illumination of the road. I see RockAuto has number options that claim anywhere from 30%-130% more light and even bulbs that mimic HID. I'm not trying to blind everyone else on the road; however, I would like to find some middle ground where I have better illumination at night. Any recommendations?

I like Sylvania XtraVision. Long life like the standard ones, but better down road illumination.

“The SYLVANIA XtraVision® halogen headlight delivers more downroad visibility using a brighter light bulb with no added glare…”

Are the bulbs easy to replace ? If they are, you can try those over-priced, "brighter" bulbs but they will burn out much, much quicker. That's simply a tradeoff of them burning brighter.

First things first.

#☝️
Check the headlight housings/assemblies for adjustment. I’ve had them be too low from day one/new.
You would believe how much better my lighting became with just a little(and you only need a little) tweak…upward.

# ✌️
If you still need brighter 💡 bulbs, then go out and buy’em.

Last edited:
First things first. #☝️

Check the headlight housings for adjustment. I’ve had them be too low from day one/new.
You would believe how much better my lighting became with just a little(and you only need a little) tweak…upward.
If you still need brighter 💡 bulbs, get them then.
I'll take a look, but they do seem rather dim to me.

Check this little gem. Avoid the long life bulbs. LL bulbs use a slightly thicker filament to spread the heat load out, and could run a slightly lower temp - that’s how they last longer. The drawback is this, the filament being thicker doesn’t provide as crisp of a focus, so the light spreads more and may not be as contained where you want it. I noticed a small difference in honda products, enough to stick with it.

Ew. Turrble. Halogens are literally poverty and terrible.
Not really, no.

LEDs may work half decent in his projectors, and they may not. Depends on the projector and the bulbs chosen. Difference in LED chip placement, thickness, etc can make a big difference. A lot of LED bulbs are also hot Chinese garbage.

Halogen bulbs are standardized. A quality H9 will increase light output, guaranteed, while being properly focused.

Back