Guys, do your own Laundry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Warlord
I’ve gotten it down to a science. I’m almost too into it to be honest. I use a wringer and a tub much of the time.

When I lived in the apartment, my neighbors ran some sort of laundry operation. I could never do laundry unless I stayed up until 3 or 4 in the morning. Otherwise they were doing laundry from 7 in the morning to well after midnight.

I ended up doing laundry in a rubbermade tote in the bathtub and then air drying them with a few clothes stands and box fans.

I do my laundry like it’s an assembly line in a factory.

I fill up a hamper with dirty clothes first. Once that’s full, I do the wash and dry. These then go in a carrier and are transported to the bedroom for processing.

I also do car laundry (micro fibers, towels, etc) the same way, but separate.

I do mines too. I would do the family's too while I'm at it, but I'm not allowed to
laugh.gif

My recipe is : separate white and dark, wash each separately at regular cycle, throw everything in the dryer and run it for an hour.

My wife is much pickier about which wash cycle to use and what can and can't go in the dryer, so she does her own and the kids'.

For my part, if the clothes I'm looking to buy can't survive a regular wash cycle and/or can't go in the dryer, I won't buy it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Laundry isn't hard, especially when all my clothes are the same. No sorting necessary. Always cold/cold. Always medium dryer heat. I use the cheap Mexican powder detergent, Foca. I also use it to wash my hands.

How well does Foca clean really dirty clothes?
I've seen this stuff sold in large plastic bags and it is pretty cheap.

You can also add a booster like Borax or the cheap Oxy from Target-brand.

I separate by darks, brighter colors, whites/light colors. Towels and bedding get the machine to themselves. Medium temp mostly, dry on low temp. clothes last a long time and come out clean. Pre-treat for spots and use a dye/scent free detergent. I have T-shirts that are 13 years old and still clean and holding the color. Wash, dry, and put away. I'm getting all the family to pitch in nowdays, many hands make short work.

I’ve gotten it down to a science. I’m almost too into it to be honest. I use a wringer and a tub much of the time.

You are worse than me, even!

Day off today before the Easter weekend...onto my second load, to get the holiday a little bit more clear.

Will see how this pans out.

Originally Posted By: Garak

You are worse than me, even!

What can I say. I have strange hobbies lol.

Laundry isn't hard, especially when all my clothes are the same. No sorting necessary. Always cold/cold. Always medium dryer heat. I use the cheap Mexican powder detergent, Foca. I also use it to wash my hands.

I am not a clothing/laundry enthusiast, so I don't know exactly how to judge it. I wash my greasy coveralls with it, and it seems to work fine.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

You can also add a booster like Borax or the cheap Oxy from Target-brand.

I guess the Foca type stuff is just straight detergent with a light fragrance. It doesn't have enzymes for breaking up stains. Hey, if I need enzymes, I'll just spit on it!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Then there’s perfect oil change pants coming out of the Maytag …

The louvers look closed. How does water flow into the tub? I think you should return it.
grin.gif
crackmeup2.gif

What can I say. I have strange hobbies lol.

My mom got rid of the electric wringer sometime in the mid 1970s, if I recall correctly. There was one at the farm for much longer, but that was mainly due to space considerations, and she'd only do laundry out there in a pinch.

When I starch shirts, I really starch them, the old fashioned way, and don't use spray starch, so I have no room to talk.
wink.gif

My Nan's was definitely used into the late 1970s.

1990, I was working in a distribution centre (electricity), and there as a transformer overhaul taking place. I built a new level indicator for the fresh oil tank, and one morning came in to have the manager going off at me for delaying work as the level indication was reading zero, and work couldn't start.

Tank WAS zero...

Thus the cleanup started.

We managed to find within 4 hours a good half dozen operational wringer washers to wring the oil out of absorbent matting

When I was really young on the farm, there was no electricity, so that went a little differently, but that's also where the habit of taking the laundry to the house in the city developed. There was the old fashioned wringer at the farm, then an electric one when the power went in.

Originally Posted By: Garak
When I was really young on the farm, there was no electricity, so that went a little differently, but that's also where the habit of taking the laundry to the house in the city developed. There was the old fashioned wringer at the farm, then an electric one when the power went in.

Garak, you brought up some bad memories for me as a youth.
When I was about 8-9 years old, I would spend the summer with my grandparents in the country. My grandmother had a washroom separate of the house. She had an old Maytag washer with the wringers attached atop of the machine.
Anyway, my brother, who is 2 years older than me, and my cousin, the same age, would always bully me. If they did something wrong/bad at my grandparents house and they didn't want me to tell on them, they would threaten to put my fingers in the wringers to keep me from talking. I NEVER said a peep!

I use a hand powered wringer. Have to be careful with buttons. Ive crushed quite a few of them. On the plus side I can sew them back on like a pro.

We had one in a washroom with tapered floor … drain in center … mom did get her fingers in one … nothing broken but hand looked like heck for a while …

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Nope - I don't do laundry. Or dishes. Or cleaning. Or cooking (except manly grilling of dead animal flesh).

And my wife doesn't touch a dipstick. Or the mower. Or a shovel. Or a ladder. Or tools.

It's the 1950s in my home, and we're both perfectly content the way it is!
thumbsup2.gif

It's almost the complete opposite in my home. I do all the laundry, load and unload the dishwasher, cook most of the meals, and a lot of the cleaning (although we do have a cleaning service that comes every two weeks so I don't need to do the dirty stuff like toilets) I do all the of the oil changes and mowing of the lawn, but she definitely is very handy and as we're getting our house ready to go on the market in a few weeks she has been doing paint touch ups and other little minor home improvements that are necessary. She gets home from work earlier than me so in the winter if there is snow on the driveway she'll always shovel it. Her job is very stressful (she's a teacher of special needs children) and my job is not stressful at all (photo retoucher for a school photography company) so I don't mind doing more of the work at home to take that stress off her. We have a perfect marriage, IMO
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back