Guys, do your own Laundry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I do the laundry in our household. Not like it's all that challenging with a modern washing machine.
I also get the fun of trying out various detergents, kind of like trying out various oils.
I'm currently using some Miele and it doesn't seem all that great.

I have a miele and don't like the miele detergent either.

Prefer persil powder, or persil liquid.

UD

Laundry isn't hard, especially when all my clothes are the same. No sorting necessary. Always cold/cold. Always medium dryer heat. I use the cheap Mexican powder detergent, Foca. I also use it to wash my hands.

When fire retardent clothing was our uniform of the day, I'd launder those and blue jeans. I learned early my wife's laundry regimen was more complex than my bachelor one which was segregating the following groups : FRC, jeans, whites, everything else. These days I'm completely hands-off on laundry for greater peace in the house.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I do the laundry in our household. Not like it's all that challenging with a modern washing machine.
I also get the fun of trying out various detergents, kind of like trying out various oils.

UD

They still make powder detergent?
shocked.gif

Have been doing my own laundry since high school.

And I've picked up doing Mom's when I'm visiting since she can't do the stairs to the basement anymore.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
When I was growing up in a family of 9 everyone had chores to do. And, laundry was one of them.
When I entered the military as an Infantry soldier we would wash our BDU's in the creeks, streams, ponds, etc., during BT at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. When I got to Ft. Benning, GA. for AIT, we did more BDU washing in the ponds, lakes, bayou's, etc. when we were not in the barracks.
I was divorced and got full parental custody of my son when he was 6 years old. My x wife always used PUREX. I have been using TIDE ever since.

I'd guess a lot more men would be doing the laundry if there were alligators involved.

I do the sheets and towels; I currently work out of my home so it makes things easier.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
When I was growing up in a family of 9 everyone had chores to do. And, laundry was one of them.
When I entered the military as an Infantry soldier we would wash our BDU's in the creeks, streams, ponds, etc., during BT at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. When I got to Ft. Benning, GA. for AIT, we did more BDU washing in the ponds, lakes, bayou's, etc. when we were not in the barracks.
I was divorced and got full parental custody of my son when he was 6 years old. My x wife always used PUREX. I have been using TIDE ever since.

I'd guess a lot more men would be doing the laundry if there were alligators involved.

I don't understand. Is it because I live in La.?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

They still make powder detergent?
shocked.gif

YES! One can still get the original and superior Henkel formulated from Germany - its the very best stuff available.

I get it from Amazon. I get the big 130 "Waschen" boxes one for whites one for color.

For regular stuff I use the liquid I transfer to a squeeze bottle, and it works well (recently tested and found even better than tide)

For high end dress shirts and expensive fabrics I pull out the powder.

The American Persil formulation have tendency to produce too much suds where the Henkels formulations are perfect.

UD

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Laundry isn't hard, especially when all my clothes are the same. No sorting necessary. Always cold/cold. Always medium dryer heat. I use the cheap Mexican powder detergent, Foca. I also use it to wash my hands.

How well does Foca clean really dirty clothes?
I've seen this stuff sold in large plastic bags and it is pretty cheap.

I do our laundry in 2 minutes. One minute to drop it off, one to pick it up. I do have a washer and a dryer in the garage, but use them only if I have to.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

I don't understand. Is it because I live in La.?
grin.gif

Wouldn't have thoughtr so. Why would people from LA be more understanding-challenged than other Americans?

As a foreigner I have to say that assumption seems discrimminatory and predjudicial to me.

I do, being single, but did most of it even when mom was willing, or available, or whatever it is for moms. She always joked I was as meticulous as her mother for doing laundry, using chlorine bleach long after she didn't bother, and starching shirts.

Dunno if this counts, but I bought a box of automatic washing powder (for coloureds, which I assumed would have less bleach) about 8 years ago to boil-wash a carburettor. Worked quite well but there was a slight etching effect.

Still have most of it since I don't very often clean carburettors and usually just trample my clothes in the shower (pre-treatment with washing up liquid then whatever I'm using on me) so don't have much call for washing powder.

Might use it as a cooling system flush come renewal time (about a year and a half away by the book)

Last edited:
I'll do my work clothes every now and then to help out but for the most part my wife does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back