Greatest Country Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minus all the boot scootin boogies and watermelon crawls...i am a big fan of true country and here are a few that are on my MP3 player for when i need a dose.

Hank Jr Blues Man- https://youtu.be/aIuAQPKp4x0

Chris Stapleton Tennessee Whiskey- https://youtu.be/4zAThXFOy2c

Johnny Paycheck Old Violin- https://youtu.be/zXRLozwejDk

If you need to get way way way down and bring out the bottle give this tune an ear.
George Jones- If Drinking dont kill me her memory will
https://youtu.be/vY-epx63Dd8

5_16_burn_your_playhouse_down_george_jones-copy1.jpg

Listening to Hank Snow and Anita Carter right now... I usually listen to classic rock, but really like a fix of authentic (pre mid seventies) country every once in a while. That was the music Dad played Saturday mornings...

Originally Posted By: Pike51
Also - If anyone names anything bro-country, you're wrong.

^^^^^^^this person is correct.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
This is where country is at with the college kids.. always a hit at our local bonfires.

not country

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
OMG, sorry for all the typos in the OP...I ended up having to run off all of a sudden and didn't proofread.
Usually I proof read and all looks good until I reread it 20 minutes later and all of a sudden the post has many mistakes.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
OMG, sorry for all the typos in the OP...I ended up having to run off all of a sudden and didn't proofread.
Usually I proof read and all looks good until I reread it 20 minutes later and all of a sudden the post has many mistakes.

That must be what happened to me...I think it's the North Korean hackers!!!
;^)

Wichita Lineman is a definite hit with me. Marty Robbins had some great songs. Too sad he died early. My parents took us to one of his concerts which also featured Conway Twitty and the Twittybirds.

A song that perhaps was popular but not great that sticks in my mind from way back is Thank God and Greyhound You’re Gone. My dad used to sing with it when it played.

Jim Reeves also sang some favorites. A great voice.

The latest country music doesn`t cut it. The current crop needs to listen to what has been posted here to get their act together. Plus they all sound the same , nothing to distinguish one from another.

The Green Green Grass of Home also has to be one of the top country songs.

You can tell I don’t listen to the newer stuff.

There is a difference, as mentioned before, between your "favorite" and the "greatest".

It is cliche to mention this, but still true.

The greatest country song is:

"He Stopped Loving Her Today." As recorded by George Jones.

Originally Posted By: Kira
WARNING: Differing opinion looming.

I think mega hits like "Gentle on my Mind" or "Wichita Lineman" take the cake.

Wichita Lineman is one of the best songs ever. Glen Campbell is one of the best musicians there will ever be. He was also part of the Wrecking Crew,the most talented group of musicians there will ever be as well.

Garth Brooks - If Tomorrow Never Comes

Travis Tritt - Anymore

This thread really isn't fair- I don't have a "single" song at the top of my list. I could go on and on with many different ones that I could listen to at any point in time, without hesitation.

I am at a ripe age of 31, and I dislike most of the new fad country songs- they all sound the same, no one writes their own lyrics (other than a couple female artists and a couple of males) and the females don't get enough credit. Males dominate the genre due to the perception that the majority of country listeners are female. Give me another Luke Bryan song where his voice sounds like he is squeezing out a deuce and I will punch someone. haha. There are a handful of newer artists that sound great and have that real country sound- those are the ones that I will continue to listen to.

I've been listening to Country since before it was the cool thing to do... This new stuff disgusts me fairly often and I don't have it on the dial. Willie's Roadhouse on XM if I don't stream the phone!

End of rant! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back