Great little local/ independent Country and Western station out of Wilcox, AZ

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across this local radio station in Wilcox, AZ last week. Great mix of older country AND western music, some great old comedy clips added in from time to time. Just a handful of commercials per hours, all local commercials.

Radio station was said to be founded by Rex Allen SR, who I believe was a country music start and Wilcox was his hometown (unverified).

The station was internet listening!

GON, Thanks for posting. I am wondering if the station is even attended, or if it is total programed via remote computer server(s). I was just wondering, becuase it seems the days of populated stations, especially ones in small towns are disappearing quickly.

GON, Thanks for posting. I am wondering if the station is even attended, or if it is total programed via remote computer server(s). I was just wondering, becuase it seems the days of populated stations, especially ones in small towns are disappearing quickly.
WT.

Interesting history in the station. Some research states the station is down to one employee.

A few years ago the "big boys" tried taking over the station and move the station to Tucson. Sales took place, a lot of big money moved, and now the station appears back in a "locals" hand. In the 1980s, laws that stated the airwaves were owned by the US people were removed, allowing for the mega ownership of stations by just a few organizations across the USA. It is great to find one of the few remaining local station, and they are playing some "different" stuff.

I speculate the current owner is someone who loves America more then he loves his money.

From wiki:
KHIL (1250 AM, "Classic Country") is a radio station licensed to serve Willcox, Arizona, United States. The station is owned by John Oberreuter and Mark Lucke, through licensee Willcox Radio, LLC. It airs a classic country music format using a transmitter with an output of 5,000 watts (day), and 196 watts (night).[1] The station's programming is also simulcast on repeater station K251CG (98.1 FM) in Willcox.

The station was founded in 1958 by Rex Allen.[2] It was assigned its KHIL call letters by the Federal Communications Commission.[3]

In 2007, KHIL applied to relocate to Kearny, Arizona, with a change in frequency to 1260 kHz and a power upgrade 10,000 watts.[4] This application was dismissed by the FCC on April 21, 2008,[5] and KHIL remains in Willcox with a daytime power of 5,000 watts. At that time, Lucke had become the only paid employee (down from a staff of 10 in 2003).[2]

KHIL was featured in a December 2018 in a documentary published by The Atlantic, Lonesome Willcox.[6] A June 2019 report in The Guardian portrayed the station as being at the risk of closure, with Lucke keeping operations up without pay.[2]

Ownership[edit]​

In April 2002, Lakeshore Media LLC completed its purchase of KHIL and KWCX-FM from Cathy Ann Enterprises LLC.[7] The sale price was reported to be $1.1 million.[8]

In March 2003, Clear Channel Communications reached a deal to acquire KHIL and KWCX-FM from Lakeshore Media LLC for $2.5 million, but that deal was contingent on the relocation of KWCX-FM to the Tucson area.[8] The FCC denied the move and the deal fell through.

In July 2007, KZLZ LLC reached an agreement to acquire KHIL and KWCX-FM from Lakeshore Media LLC for a reported sale price of $900,000.[9]

Effective November 22, 2017, KZLZ LLC sold KHIL to Willcox Radio, LLC for $150,000.

Back