Grease fitting caps

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Hi. Saturday I greased about 20 or 30 zerks on a JD 1025R loader and backhoe. I need to do one more for the front ujoint that has a tiny hole. My process was to clean them first with a power washer, then brake cleaner. Even then several were dirty and needed extra attention.

I ordered these grease caps because they seemed like a good idea, to keep the zerks clean. They survived after 5 hours of use. Has anyone else tried these before, or a similar product?

IMG_5935.jpeg

IMG_5934.jpeg

IMG_5936.jpeg

I had some installed on both my F-350 4x4s and they worked as I hoped they would and gave me no trouble. They may have been metal but I don't recall for sure.

I don't like them and take them off of anything that has them. I wipe them zerk off before I grease and leave what is on them after I grease them there.

The only things that have them are the JKS sway bar quick disconnects on my Jeep Wrangler. They seem to work and are still there after a few years.

For greasing things like tractors that have 20+ grease zerks my Milwaukee battery grease gun is a game changer.

I've used for as far back as I can remember the black rubber caps used to block off vacuum lines. I get a size that fits snugly on the Zerk fitting and put it on after greasing. I have done this for decades, they are cheap, they last for several years, the fitting stays clean and it keeps dirt and water out.

Caps great idea to keep dird away from end. Very hard to get every piece of dirt off before greasing.
I think I will buy some

I use them and like them. I'm not particularly fond of the yellow color on vehicles. I believe they make red ones also.
They sell multiple colors. I picked yellow for easy contrast and visibility against my green tractor.

Funnily enough I put a few on the driveshaft and it predictably flew off, in case anyone had that idea :)

They sell multiple colors. I picked yellow for easy contrast and visibility against my green tractor.

Funnily enough I put a few on the driveshaft and it predictably flew off, in case anyone had that idea :)

They do look good on your tractor. On a few caps, I have threaded the zerks through the hole on the retainer. The caps still might pop off on a driveshaft though. I have not tried those yet.

In the past, I've just used vacuum line caps to cover my brake bleeder screws, but I only needed 4.
They'd probably work on zerks too.

Eh, if a part comes with zirk covers I'll use them but totally unnecessary. Just wipe before greasing.

I have used them about 34 engine hours and 3 zerk grease sessions since the original post. 3 have “disappeared” mysteriously from the front end loader, likely from hauling brush. 85 percent still remain. I will say it’s worth the 10 bucks just because they are very easy to find, and keep the grease nipple from getting dirty and stuck.

Back