Google Chrome updates

hrv

I have a Acer chromebook laptop that is about 7 years old... It still works great but I no longer get the Google Chrome updates....the time has run out. Is there a way to get the latest Google Chrome updates from another source online???

Chrome determines when to update (or stop updating) based on your OS. What OS are you running ? Chrome doesn't know or care about the hardware or the age.

As previously mentioned, you may be able to install a proper Linux distro instead of Chrome OS and continue recieving updates that way.

That said, I'm assuming you are not tech savvy and need nothing more out of a computer than just browsing the web, if you're using a Chromebook in the first place. So maybe that would be a waste of time and energy for you.

You got 7 years out of that, so maybe plopping down another $200 on a fresh one wouldn't be too crazy. You could go with another Chromebook, or go back to a Windows laptop, there are some dirt cheap ones in similar price ranges to Chromebooks. Either way, 7 years out of a cheap computer is good.

Sure, you can get a longer life of a computer, especially higher-end ones - for example, my aunt and mother both use laptops with 3rd-gen i5 CPUs. So 2012-2013 era. Both of those had RAM upgrades, the HDDs replaced with SSDs, and Windows 10 installed, and continue to survive for basic web browsing needs. But next year when Win10 officially reaches end of support I think it'll be time to replace both of them and I'll take them laptop shopping together.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
If you are looking to buy computer, check dellrefurbished.com.
They are good source for computer, remember to check the coupon for additional discount.

This is good to know I have a chrome book purchased in 2020. as I understood the machine will get 8 yrs of os updates. I would have thought at yr 7 you have a yr of updates remaining

Chromebooks have an Auto-Update Expiration (AUE) date.
Oooh, interesting.... So the "auto" update quits working but can you manually force an update ? Sounds like the answer is still no though. I admit I missed the Chromebook reference, just saw "7 year old" and "Acer".

Reactions: hrv
Given its age, I'd go the "scorched earth" route for a Linux install and completely replace ChromeOS (bottom option in the article I linked).

Unfortunately, installing Linux on a Chromebook is not the least bit straightforward. Lots of caveats beforehand and shortcomings afterward.

Thanks for all the replies. I think that when it stars to act up... I will just purchase a new Chromebook...for what I need a laptop for....Chromebook has been great and have had good luck with Acer products...

I have a Acer chromebook laptop that is about 7 years old... It still works great but I no longer get the Google Chrome updates....the time has run out. Is there a way to get the latest Google Chrome updates from another source online???
What is your use case for it?

If not accessing anything financial, email and just browsing BITOG and internet keep using it. Just don’t log into anything you care about.

Back