Having Google remember my passwords is hit and miss.

You asked

I gave a real-world scenario.
Yes, I asked why would YOU have that, not the whole family. It's obvious why a husband, wife, kid would have different usernames on a particular website. Not obvious why one individual person would. Still not sure if you can have more than one here on BITOG.

Yes, I asked why would YOU have that, not the whole family. It's obvious why a husband, wife, kid would have different usernames on a particular website. Not obvious why one individual person would.
I'd have thought it was obvious what I was explaining.... In multiple situations, I have the login details for my wife, our kids, etc for different websites. I click in the username field and Google pops up a list of saved logins for that same site.

Aren't you using an outdated version of Chrome, because you are still on Windows 7?

Google said:
Google confirmed a while ago that Chrome 109, due to be released in January 2023, will be the last version to support Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. The next update after that, Chrome 110, will require Windows 10 or 11.

Google says there won't be any more updates on those old Windows releases, even security patches.

I would assume that if it still works, it wouldn't be outdated.
Internet Explorer 6 "still works", but it is assuredly very outdated. If you haven't received Chrome updates since the beginning of the year, it is outdated, and vulnerable to every patched security vulnerability that has been dealt with in subsequent releases.

If you are going to continue to use an unsupported OS, I'd highly advise you to switch to Firefox ESR, which still receives updates on 7.
Firefox ESR 115.4.0 System Requirements (mozilla.org)

OK upgraded to the ESR version of FF. Still will use Chrome most of the time, but why don't they have an ESR too?
Google appears to offer an "Enterprise Browser": https://chromeenterprise.google/

This browser looks to have some added policy and management features but is also the same version as my desktop Chrome install. So possibly it is not an ESR in that the same Release is likely not Supported for an Extended period of time. I believe Mozilla designates ESR on a schedule, as per https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Release_Management/Calendar&redirect=no and one chooses to either run the ESR or stay on top of the normal release cadence. I know Debian Linux by default uses the ESR; most other distros use the normal. I would not venture to guess if there is even one organization or institution on this earth that uses Firefox ESR, which I believe is its intended use case.

Web technologies and the browsers we use to access them are evolving very rapidly. It cannot be easy to support a browser for a long time when there are countless security vulnerabilities being found constantly and there are emergent technologies popping up every 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Not using a password manager is basically asking for your accounts to be compromised.

21 character passwords are required in this day and age. How is anyone going to remember that many 21 character passwords?

Bitwarden is awesome and free and if you want you can store the master list offline on your own pc. I use it on ipad, android, windows.

As for your ussue, as suggested it most certainly is duplicates.

I found on some of mine Google basically wants to abbreviate it and have * in the login id which doesn't work well with the website. I know of a couple that I have issues with, I have one bank that I have a card with but the app on my phone doesn't work with that saved login but the desktop will, I have to keep making sure I use the full login name on the desktop because the other doesn't work in the app. I wish that I could turn that feature off but I don't think it's possible. I think they do it to hide your login name.

Back