Going several hours to buy a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I flew to Sacramento and drove a 79 Bronco back from Chico, CA to OK almost 15 yrs ago - still have it. Drove to Phoenix (Chandler) after a 72 Blazer about 10 yrs ago, guy lied about that truck - bondo wagon - drove back without it. Went again within the year, honest seller, came back with a 72 Jimmy. All trips were fun, took a friend with me. Have fun!

I know a couple with a zero credit score thanks to Dave Ramsey, they can't buy their first house.

I call it the "Dave Ramsey predicament".

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: ram_man

Logically speaking I realize being open minded would make finding a car so much easier but I really just want a Saturn again. Besides the Saturn fans community that is awesome. I also have spare parts and a knowledge of them that I dont have with other cars. Granted I know how to work other cars, I really know the Saturns pretty well

You're combining getting out of debt (Dave Ramsey angle)
thumbsup2.gif
with a platform you're familiar with
thumbsup2.gif
, with a Saturn fanboy forum you like
21.gif
- 2 out of 3 not bad. Fanboy forums tend to encourage spending on unnecessary mods.. who will win out, Dave or the fanboys?
I plan on doing a few things. Decent brakes window tint maybe wheels if I find a deal but all of that would hail in comparison to a car payment. But I won't be doing any crazy mods.

CKN said:
I know a couple with a zero credit score thanks to Dave Ramsey, they can't buy their first house.

I call it the "Dave Ramsey predicament".[/quote

"Thanks to Dave Ramsey"? You have to be kidding? Like it's his fault they don't have credit? Aren't they adults don't they know how to make their own choices? Wow...... And I get the idea of owe no debt it makes sense however I would think if one was going to finance a house and had no credit they would spend a year or so saving money for a big down payment and having one credit card to responsibly build credit....... I'd think most adults would understand that logic. But clearly not all I suppose.

Dave Ramsey lost me at “tithing”. A few of his other teachings are pretty solid though but as your friend’s situation shows a person really has to play along with the credit game if they ever wish to obtain financing for a big ticket item like a house.

Cars in this price range are 50/50 you might want them. So take the price of trip(s) and stay into account.

This price point and trying to save money I would not go that far personally.

I am pretty sure Dave Ramsey does not advocate this much effort into a specific car so far away.

He may not but I've got spare parts for them and would like to have one a long while so I might as well get what I enjoy . And I mean getting the best car for the price even if it cost an extra $50 In gas is ideal if it's good enough to not need costly repairs like another used car might. It's all kinda what ifs and maybes though. One similar to what this guy has for sale where I am is around $2500 which is crazy to me.

I drove over two hours to look at a truck. The truck looked fantastic but it had undisclosed mechanical problems so I left it and drove home.

That Saturn is advertised as having a clean interior but the seat is stained and the carpet looks dirty/stained. He says the exterior is "decent"
He can at least write a coherent description.
Also, that car was posted eight days ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: terry274
I drove over two hours to look at a truck. The truck looked fantastic but it had undisclosed mechanical problems so I left it and drove home.

That Saturn is advertised as having a clean interior but the seat is stained and the carpet looks dirty/stained. He says the exterior is "decent"

He is supposed to send me better pictures later tonight. I do know having owned one those seats are a bear to clean the material is relatively durable but stains don't come out either. So honestly I wasn't all that surprised to see that. The carpet though is questionable which is why I requested more pictures. But I mean on the other hand how picky can /should I be for the price.

I live outside Louisville and I've bought cars from Chicago and Memphis. No big deal.

He is supposed to send me better pictures later tonight. I do know having owned one those seats are a bear to clean the material is relatively durable but stains don't come out either. So honestly I wasn't all that surprised to see that. The carpet though is questionable which is why I requested more pictures. But I mean on the other hand how picky can /should I be for the price.

The car looks clean for a 16 year old car. The seller is truthful. That radiator hose looks like a break down waiting to happen. Are you really going to save any money given the massive depreciation hit you are taking with a car like a Dodge Dart with toilet resale if you bought new? A late model Dodge Dart does not seem like an easy sale.

It looks like it's been hit in the rear. The rear clip paint does not match the rest of the car. It's more noticeable in the picture of the passenger side. I'd check that out carefully. At that age and price, some damage would not be unusual.

Ed

Originally Posted By: madRiver

The car looks clean for a 16 year old car. The seller is truthful. That radiator hose looks like a break down waiting to happen. Are you really going to save any money given the massive depreciation hit you are taking with a car like a Dodge Dart with toilet resale if you bought new? A late model Dodge Dart does not seem like an easy sale.

I owe in the very upper end of what it is worth so we are going to put a grand down on it and sell it I should be able to sell a fully loaded dart with 50,000 for 11,500 I think. If not I'll throw 2k at it and get it gone . One way or another it's leaving. I'm tired of payments and honestly I enjoy the dart but it's entirely to quirky for me. It doesn't strike me as a vehicle that will last 200+ easily.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
It looks like it's been hit in the rear. The rear clip paint does not match the rest of the car. It's more noticeable in the picture of the passenger side. I'd check that out carefully. At that age and price, some damage would not be unusual.

Ed

I don't notice that I just looked again. Looks ok to me.....could be the lighting? I'm not sure. ..

Also is their any thing special I should know buying a car out of state? All I need is a title and a written bill of sale and I am good right?

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Ed

I don't notice that I just looked again. Looks ok to me.....could be the lighting? I'm not sure. ..

Also is their any thing special I should know buying a car out of state? All I need is a title and a written bill of sale and I am good right?

I drove about 125 miles when I bought the '04 Accord in my sig; just be CERTAIN to over achieve in your inspection; I missed a couple of details that ended up working out but it could have been very frustrating. Also, you should check your state's DMV rules; e.g., I woujld carefully study what they mean by "Certificate of Title"...
https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php

Good luck. Sounds like the car you want...

By the way, Dave Ramsey has a lot of good ideas, but in all honesty there are much better ways to manage your money.
I am sure he has helped a lotta people who have dug themselves into a financial hole.

I bought my 82 Mercedes in Los Angeles and drove cross country to get it home. Yes it's doable, I'd do it, and I think it's enjoyable.

You're a mechanic and have good tools. That means you can bring equipment to check it thoroughly and do rudimentary repairs before leaving/along the way if an emergency occurs.

My greatest fear is what you're buying. A car that was made a long while ago, by a defunct car company, at a price point that was low to start with and which means a high likelihood that it may not have always had the best care.

Yes, you can buy simple, manual, etc. I'm all for those attributes. But you just need to be extra careful with older econoboxes, imo. They aren't as likely to have been "someone's baby".

But if anyone has the skills to check it out and nurse it home if need be, it's you. So be careful, don't get emotionally engaged in the buy, and be prepared for the trip.

Good luck and have fun!!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I bought my 82 Mercedes in Los Angeles and drove cross country to get it home. Yes it's doable, I'd do it, and I think it's enjoyable.

You're a mechanic and have good tools. That means you can bring equipment to check it thoroughly and do rudimentary repairs before leaving/along the way if an emergency occurs.

My greatest fear is what you're buying. A car that was made a long while ago, by a defunct car company, at a price point that was low to start with and which means a high likelihood that it may not have always had the best care.

Yes, you can buy simple, manual, etc. I'm all for those attributes. But you just need to be extra careful with older econoboxes, imo. They aren't as likely to have been "someone's baby".

But if anyone has the skills to check it out and nurse it home if need be, it's you. So be careful, don't get emotionally engaged in the buy, and be prepared for the trip.

Good luck and have fun!!

Your concerns are basically exactly what's going through my head. Original Saturn owners though where somewhat different. To many there was a certain pride in owning one. Saturn did a good job of making you feel special for buying a Saturn. So maybe they are treated better than average atleast by the original owner? Wishful thinking probably. If I do go I am strongly considering stopping by the Spring Hill plant since I won't be that far away and maybe getting a picture or to in Spring Hill with the Saturn

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/nice-cheap-car/6636381454.html

Found this little Saturn. Looks pretty decent overall.

Looks decent. Front bumper cover may be not quite right - Id check it. Silver is easy to hide imperfections, imo - may only be a 25ft paint job, but may not matter much.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
your bargaining power is severely diminished if the seller realizes you've drove all day to purchase...I'd keep the travel part quiet.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back