Going by HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know the HTHS of Castrol Edge 0w40? I assume it's very close to Mobil1 FS 0w-40?

OP... I'm not sure what oil would get you to an HTHS of 4 or more, I suspect you would be looking at a 15w-40 or something like Mobil1 0w50 FS??

I'm not sure this has any bearing on the thick vs thin debate but, I have an 08 SI with the K20Z3 that has used oil since new (2qt's plus with 9-10k oci"s).
I used synthetic since new, primarily M1 5w-30 EP, for the last 40k miles I have used Castrol Edge 0w-40 and the oil consumption is less than half of what it was with the 5w-30.
Miles on car 248,xxx.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
It sounds like you keep replying to a question that was never asked Stevie.

While I don't stress about this or even the fuel dilution in my carbureted Caprice...if I spend the time to read these threads and get real technical data out of it, I figure I might as well use what is proven in testing to be likely to reduce wear.

My decision has been made to switch to a 10w30 in the summer time and stick with 5w30 or 0w30 in the winter. It's not a big deal if I don't IMO but why wouldn't I if testing proves it's a good idea.

I originally answered it and then the 0w40 "cool kids" folks showed up and took issue with parts of it so I felt the need to explain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
"Sacrificial Layer"
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

You don't get it, do you ????

When you show me that HTHS makes a real world of difference to engine longevity, then I will explain that.

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TurboLuver
Does anyone know the HTHS of Castrol Edge 0w40? I assume it's very close to Mobil1 FS 0w-40?

OP... I'm not sure what oil would get you to an HTHS of 4 or more, I suspect you would be looking at a 15w-40 or something like Mobil1 0w50 FS??

I'm not sure this has any bearing on the thick vs thin debate but, I have an 08 SI with the K20Z3 that has used oil since new (2qt's plus with 9-10k oci"s).
I used synthetic since new, primarily M1 5w-30 EP, for the last 40k miles I have used Castrol Edge 0w-40 and the oil consumption is less than half of what it was with the 5w-30.
Miles on car 248,xxx.

Edge 0w-40 is I believe 3.7 or very close to it like 3.68.

To get an HTHS > 4 you need to look at a 15w-40,15w-50..etc. M1 15w-50 is 4.5.

And your observations with your engine aren't unusual. Heavier oils generally slow consumption.

When you show me that HTHS makes a real world of difference to engine longevity, then I will explain that.

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

The viewpoint of "a real world difference" is dependent on the viewpoint. Please, no "empty junkyard" logic.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

And your observations with your engine aren't unusual. Heavier oils generally slow consumption.

Thank You Sir..

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Are you really saying that you think HTHS viscosity has no effect on engine longevity?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Thank You Sir..

You are quite welcome
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow
Yes, you followed the footnote...

No, that was something I picked up here before I started my long break back in 2011. Which footnote, I'd actually like to go check it. Or you could just address the question -- I mean, that's what BITOG is for. . .

Originally Posted by JAG

smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif
smirk2.gif

Are you really saying that you think HTHS viscosity has no effect on engine longevity?

Past what the OE calls for, Not in today's oils.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Yes, you followed the footnote...

No, that was something I picked up here before I started my long break back in 2011. Which footnote, I'd actually like to go check it. Or you could just address the question -- I mean, that's what BITOG is for. . .

Look at the picture that I posted...I included the name of the source in writing in the grey box lower right.

Highest HTHS diesel oils I'm aware of, my go-tos:

Red Line 15w40: HTHS 4.7
Amsoil SS 15w40: HTHS 4.5
Amsoil SS 5w40: HTHS 4.3

Originally Posted by claluja
Highest HTHS diesel oils I'm aware of, my go-tos:

Red Line 15w40: HTHS 4.7
Amsoil SS 15w40: HTHS 4.5
Amsoil SS 5w40: HTHS 4.3

Renewable Lubricants 15w40 is the king at 5.2 HTHS. It was Tested on the Dyson forum and the results are posted there.

Miles on car 248,xxx.

Well I am lookiing at oils for the 4Runner...0w-20 is of course specified in the US, and likely would be fine. Elsewhere in the world, up to a 40 grade oil is specified.

I was looking specifically at Schaeffer Oil 9000 5w-40, HTHS 4.05. I am kind of interested in testing real world mpg (yes sketchy with no real science I know) over an OCI as well as wear comparison vs a 5w-30 (HTHS 3.2) from the same manufacturer.

IMO, since they found out that regular "grades" didn't predict wear, and that HTHS DID, they should have dropped the KV100 grade, and adopted xW-HTHS.

IMO, much above 3.6 to 3.8 in most cases is wasteful of economy, without any benefit in terms of wear or high temperature protection.

It pushes you typically into areas like 15W40s with thick base oils, and less than stellar cold weather performance.

I'd use a 15W40 over 20W50 any day of the week...but wanting a synthetic pushes me into 5W40s, and 3.7 to 3.8

I love the idea of xW-hths ... that way there is no need to look for a3/b3-b4 on the back or try to find the hths on the websites.

I also like the idea of xW-hths-moly
High hths + high moly = magic
thankyou2.gif

Going to patent my normalized index of magic! lol

Originally Posted by JLTD

Miles on car 248,xxx.

Well I am lookiing at oils for the 4Runner...0w-20 is of course specified in the US, and likely would be fine. Elsewhere in the world, up to a 40 grade oil is specified.

I was looking specifically at Schaeffer Oil 9000 5w-40, HTHS 4.05. I am kind of interested in testing real world mpg (yes sketchy with no real science I know) over an OCI as well as wear comparison vs a 5w-30 (HTHS 3.2) from the same manufacturer.

I have not seen any decrease in MPG with the 0w-40 over the 5w30. I have read (but can't confirm) that my engine in Japan/Europe specs 5w-40 which begs the question, why "thin" in the US and "thick" everywhere else?

Miles on car 248,xxx.

I have not seen any decrease in MPG with the 0w-40 over the 5w30. I have read (but can't confirm) that my engine in Japan/Europe specs 5w-40 which begs the question, why "thin" in the US and "thick" everywhere else?

One word: CAFE

Miles on car 248,xxx.

That's what I was eluding to, but at one time on here if you espoused that notion the retort was something to the effect of "why would the engineers spec a thin oil if it wasn't ideal".

That's what I was eluding to, but at one time on here if you espoused that notion the retort was something to the effect of "why would the engineers spec a thin oil if it wasn't ideal".

thumbsup2.gif
Yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back