High HTHS Dexos G1/3 compatible oils?

Look for a "Euro" with ACEA A3/B4 or C3 and also states SN+ or SP.

A3/B4 or C3 insures an HTHS of 3.5 or more. SN+ and SP meet the same API accepted LSPI test.

Example:
Mobil 1 FS 0w40
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30
Mobil 1 ESP 0w40
M1 FS 0w40 is API SN licensed

1682123243624.png

M1 ESP 5w30 is API SN licensed

1682123189896.png

M1 ESP 0w40 meets or exceeds API SM. But doesn't appear in API's oil licenses. It's Mobil using Amsoil's marketing language they pioneered.

Not according to API. M1 FS 0w40 is still API SN licensed.

Mobil is just using the language Amsoil pioneered.... Meets or exceeds....

View attachment 151865
Thank you for that. I don't see any evidence in very recent UOAs that Mobil has changed their M1 0w-40 FS formula to low Ca / higher Mg.

I ordered some QS 5w-40 Euro as it was $22/5qt at Walmart shipped to my door. It has a proven recent VOA / UOA that it is a newer low-Ca formula, but it's also basically a thick 30-weight. I'd like to have other options.

Not according to API. M1 FS 0w40 is still API SN licensed.

Mobil is just using the language Amsoil pioneered.... Meets or exceeds....

View attachment 151865
AMSOIL's language is actually "recommended for".

The correct language for the API and ACEA approvals, as well as a few that aren't certifications is indeed "meets or exceeds". IIRC, it's for any of the ones you can self-certify for.

Thank you for that. I don't see any evidence in very recent UOAs that Mobil has changed their M1 0w-40 FS formula to low Ca / higher Mg.

I ordered some QS 5w-40 Euro as it was $22/5qt at Walmart shipped to my door. It has a proven recent VOA / UOA that it is a newer low-Ca formula, but it's also basically a thick 30-weight. I'd like to have other options.
There's one in the UOA section, shows reduced calcium and increased magnesium.

There's one in the UOA section, shows reduced calcium and increased magnesium.
I'm not finding it, can you point me in the right direction? I've tried Google and the board's search feature using various search terms.

There's a thread that suggest a new lower Ca formulation comparing it to Pennzoil Euro, but no hard evidence of a lower Ca additive pack.

If I'm not mistaken, Mobil1 FS 0w-40 has some 3000ppm calcium according to VOAs I've stumbled on, which makes it a non-starter for an LSPI-prone application. When I spend some $22K on a vehicle (seems to be chump change these days but I digress), I don't want to open a can of worms, definitely prefer something SN+/SP that has a reduced Ca formula but with a higher HTHS in the interest of reduced engine wear; perhaps at the expense of some tiny percentage of fuel economy.

Looks like QS Euro 5w-40, M1 ESP / Supercar, Pennzoil Ultra Euro would meet those qualifiers. What's the best bang for the buck?
How about Fram 0w40? It’s SP rated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 14
I'm not finding it, can you point me in the right direction? I've tried Google and the board's search feature using various search terms.

There's a thread that suggest a new lower Ca formulation comparing it to Pennzoil Euro, but no hard evidence of a lower Ca additive pack.
Here:

M1 FS 0w40 is API SN licensed

View attachment 151867
M1 ESP 5w30 is API SN licensed

View attachment 151866
M1 ESP 0w40 meets or exceeds API SM. But doesn't appear in API's oil licenses. It's Mobil using Amsoil's marketing language they pioneered.

It won't have a license but it doesn't mean it doesn't meet the performance specs of SN+ or SP. Mobil 1 says the oils I mentioned do meet the performance requirements of SN+ or SP.

Last edited:

Try going to M1 website. There are formula restrictions but that doesn't mean the performance requirements (# of LSPI event allowed under SN+/SP) can't be met.

It won't have a license but it doesn't mean it doesn't meet the performance specs of SN+ or SP. Mobil 1 says the oils I mentioned do meet the performance requirements of SN+ or SP.

They claim it "Meets or Exceeds"... but if it really met SP, Exxon-Mobil is a big company and can afford to obtain the license for SP. Arbitrarily using the SP donut may anger API.

They claim it "Meets or Exceeds"... but if it really met SP, Exxon-Mobil is a big company and can afford to obtain the license for SP. Arbitrarily using the SP donut may anger API.
Again, "Meets or Exceeds" is the correct language for self-certification approvals like the API and ACEA approvals. Mobil is part of the API's board of directors and it was previously chaired by somebody from Mobil (it's currently chaired by somebody from Chevron). Mobil, and the other large oil companies are able to self-approve for API, ACEA and several other approvals/specifications.

I don't need an oil with LSPI additive package. I don't live in LSPI fear.

I do use toptier fuel to keep the combustion chamber, piston tops, injectors and their fuel spray pattern as good and clean as possible. My turbo'd engines run premium always regardless of what moron at the automaker recommended regular. My oil change intervals are severe service to avoid all the common issues that we've been seeing with OLM and those 7.5k-10k+ mile intervals that too many blindly follow until failure. And, my GDI-only engines get a regular IVD cleaning spray.

My engines love their high calcium diet. Poor automaker tuning, along with typical consumer bad maintenance and fueling habits, are not going to find a solution in lspi oils.
Yeah I at least remember to spray some GDI CRC spray in periodically. It's a good practice to do! 👍

Back